A lot of "soot" black buildup in and around the outside edges of my HDMI exhaust pipes

2020 6.2 does anyone else have and or get a lot of carbon/soot  at the exit of the exhaust tips?

Seems like it is running rich or something

mine look like crap and are washed at least once a week with drive through spray washer.

Edited by johnnyquick

It's normal on just about any gas vehicle. Start looking at other cars/trucks on the road with chrome tips and you'll notice soot trails all over them too.

More so on GDI motors. They try to mitigate this by having the tips basically disconnected from the tailpipes but it is what it is. Could be worse, my wife’s car has completely fake tips. 🤷

• Like 2

Our Honda's non-GDI tips are very clean. The GDI Terrain is a soot storm. The GDI pickup was soot filled until after 20K miles running on E-85. It's now as clean as the Honda. :dunno: Personally, I THINK (OPINION) that it is the richer 'Command AFR" ratios used in GDI motors. But what do I know....

• Like 1