Driving in Sand Question

Hello - I am heading to Outer Banks on the 4x4 beach and do not want to end up like one of those stuck truck videos. I have a 2021 Silverado RST with the Z71 package. Will I need to reduce my tire PSI? it currently sits ~35psi.  Does the off road package make a difference? Any help/advice would be great. Thanks! 

You might want to turn off the Traction/Stability Control. A number of years ago, right after those features first came on the scene I spent an hour or so getting my van out of the snow because I forgot to turn them off. Each time I tried to move the van would apply the brakes to the spinning tires and prevent the van from moving. It was deep snow so I had to pretty much plow my way out. I don't "think" they work the same as Crawl mode, but then again I don't four wheel much, so they just might. And the system that gave me trouble was back in 2003 when Crawl mode didn't yet exist.

Avoid digging in to the point where you're up to the axles is about all I know for sure to avoid.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Brandon Baulo said:

Hello - I am heading to Outer Banks on the 4x4 beach and do not want to end up like one of those stuck truck videos. I have a 2021 Silverado RST with the Z71 package. Will I need to reduce my tire PSI? it currently sits ~35psi.  Does the off road package make a difference? Any help/advice would be great. Thanks! 

Check on Facebook for local 4x4 rescue groups. There are two in the Long Beach Wa area (example), they are a wealth of knowledge as they spend a lot of time in the sand rescuing stuck vehicles.

• Like 1

I drive on the beach down here at the Fort Fisher Recreation area beach.  I air down my 285/70/18 Toyo Open Country ATIII down to 18psi and use my 4L.  Just keep moving slow and don't turn fast or accelerate hard and you will be fine.

• Like 1

On 8/5/2024 at 2:01 PM, Brandon Baulo said:

You can get by without airing down. I have, but definitely turn off traction control. I still recommend airing down if you can. It's easy and they have filling stations leaving corolla, if needed. I drove there with the factory Bridgestone's and now my mich LTX's. If you are going to cape lookout, I definitely recommend airing down because the sand is much finer there, and it is harder to get traction. I ran about 20psi while I was on cape lookout with no issues. 

Hey Brandon, not sure which beach you are going to, but I've been to Carova/Corolla the last couple years in the 4x4 area.  Air down on the tires, 20lbs should be fine.  It's actually a state law in NC when driving on the beach but I'm not sure how they would ever check you unless you got stuck.  Put it in 4H and you'll be fine.  The sand up there can range from hard packed at low tide to some really soft stuff.  Just keep moving in the softer sand, and like others said don't try to spin your way out if you get stuck, but i doubt you'll have that issue unless you go off the beaten path. Slow and steady wins the race and will help keep your tanny temps in check. Makes for a great nap spot for the pooch too.

.IMG_2180.thumb.jpeg.b56b2e8ce67d1616d772c2fdab868bf1.jpeg.  

I've done it with the Duratracs as well as the Michelin LTX and both performed just fine.

Edited by OliverDennis52

In sand, lowering your PSI will do more for traction than just about anything.  However, if you are in 4HI, make sure you turn off your traction control or it will cause you all sorts of issues in the sand.

I have had 33" Wrangler Ultra Terrain AT, 33" Bridgestone Dueler, and 32" Wrangler DuraTracs, and all have done exceptionally well in the sand.  For sand recovery, the Duratracs and UltraTerrains were best, but for normal beach driving the Duelers were perfectly fine.  

I prefer to be in 4Hi and just drive.  With traction control turned off, and moving at a decent pace in 4HI, I have never gotten stuck, even with the Duelers at full PSI that are more highway than anything.

Basically, if you are going to be going through deep sand, then you need to air down, turn off traction control, and try to stay on top of the sand with a little bit extra speed.  When you come to a stop, roll to a stop.  DO NOT USE THE BRAKES IN DEEP/SOFT SAND.  If the sand isnt deep and soft, just put the truck in 4Hi with the traction control off and don't worry about PSI.  

Compact Sand:

4HI, Traction Control off

Deep Soft Sand:

Lower PSI, 4Hi, Traction Control OFF, keep your speed up to stay on top.

The picture below is me recovering a 2500 that busted a CV on the beach.  4Hi, skinny pedal down, and letting it eat.

Recovery.jpg

Edited by Gangly

https://www.visitcurrituck.com/visitor-info/beach-driving-tips/

I have LT305/55R20 Grabbers on my AT4 and did not have to air down on the way to the VA line.  On the way back I did air down just to see how much better it could be...and it was really good.  Use these:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0B5KVLK1D/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1