2002 2500hd Radio Replacement

The radio in my 2002 GMC 2500HD 6L is stuck on mute. I can hear sound if I turn the volume all the way up. If I tune off the station I get full on static sound. It's like tuning mute function has got reversed. I have searched the internal for a solution and have pulled both fuses in the hope that it will reset. I don't have any message on the display, just looks normal. Question- can I swap out the radio with new non GM one that will fit in the hole? I know about the Theftlock feature for the radio but I just wanted to check and confirm that the truck will start and run with the GM radio removed. Thanks.

• 3 weeks later...

Good to know that the truck will run with the radio removed. I thought it might be an issue because I remember years ago when my son took the radio out of this late 80s Impala that the car would not operate without some sort of auxiliary box added. I'll start looking at after market radios.