Better than factory replacement HID bulb for T4F option 2018 Silverado?

As the title says, what's a better (than factory) replacement HID bulb for T4F option 2018 Silverado?  Would consider LED if they aren't junk.  Not interested in breaking the bank with an entire housing swap.  I like the appearance of my factory headlight housings...

Edited by SinisterZ71

Posted (edited)

I've done some research and it seems as though a popular option is the Morimoto 35w D5S; but it is stated that these don't work with "automatic mode".  I definitely don't want to lose my automatic-on headlight function.

I've also found a ton of LED D5S replacements, but I haven't had good luck with many of the aftermarket LED bulbs I've bought in the past - as most don't promote a good beam pattern in a factory housing (due to LED chip placement not being on the same plane as the factory bulb filament).  Lumen rating also tends to be grossly overstated on most of these LED replacement products. 

I am curious if anyone here has tried any of the LED replacements for our factory HID D5S bulbs and what their experience was with those products.

Edited by SinisterZ71

• SinisterZ71 changed the title to Better than factory replacement HID bulb for T4F option 2018 Silverado?
On 7/31/2024 at 9:05 PM, SinisterZ71 said:

I've done some research and it seems as though a popular option is the Morimoto 35w D5S; but it is stated that these don't work with "automatic mode".  I definitely don't want to lose my automatic-on headlight function.

I've also found a ton of LED D5S replacements, but I haven't had good luck with many of the aftermarket LED bulbs I've bought in the past - as most don't promote a good beam pattern in a factory housing (due to LED chip placement not being on the same plane as the factory bulb filament).  Lumen rating also tends to be grossly overstated on most of these LED replacement products. 

I am curious if anyone here has tried any of the LED replacements for our factory HID D5S bulbs and what their experience was with those products.

I replaced my entire headlight assembly with the Morimoto XB headlights
Keeps stock settings with a new look but not cheap:
https://www.morimotohid.com/morimoto-chevrolet-silverado-16-18-xb-led-headlights?quantity=1
IMG_0920.thumb.jpg.6786595a84b18aae89e61f0c06820ae8.jpg

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, MikeBMW said:

Keeps stock settings with a new look but not cheap

You aren't kidding. I just clicked on that link. But very cool looking!

• Like 1

1 minute ago, SinisterZ71 said:

I don't care for the XB look.

That's OK. I like it. YMMV, of course.

45 minutes ago, MikeBMW said:

That's OK. I like it. YMMV, of course.

Off topic, but while you are on, how much did you pay for the 5100 Bilstein's at all 4 corners? Did you go with the B8, or the yellow B6's?

I was quoted $1246.00 for the B8's, plus tax here in the Seattle area.

Edited by JimCost2014
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, JimCost2014 said:

Off topic, but while you are on, how much did you pay for the 5100 Bilstein's at all 4 corners? Did you go with the B8, or the yellow B6's?

I was quoted $1246.00 for the B8's, plus tax here in the Seattle area.

I think I paid about $500 for the full set. I bought the ones with a 1.8" front max lift (I had them set to 1")
Install, with the front spring change was about $300.
These were the B8, silver ones, not yellow.
I thought the yellow ones were 4600s?

Edited by MikeBMW
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, SinisterZ71 said:

Has anyone tried the HYLUX D5S 35w HIDs?  Various websites that have them for sale note that they should be turned off when cranking the engine...Why?

Because the BCM is not getting the correct signal on startup.
On my old BMW, I installed LEDs for the headlights and I have to turn them on prior to starting so the it can go through the usual start up process and ignore the odd signal from the headlights.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, MikeBMW said:

I think I paid about $500 for the full set. I bought the ones with a 1.8" front max lift (I had them set to 1")
Install, with the front spring change was about $300.
These were the B8, silver ones, not yellow.
I thought the yellow ones were 4600s?

Yellow is correct for the B6 4600. You can't even buy the shocks themselves now for $800.00. Wish I would have done it a few years back when prices were much more favorable.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, MikeBMW said:

Because the BCM is not getting the correct signal on startup.
On my old BMW, I installed LEDs for the headlights and I have to turn them on prior to starting so the it can go through the usual start up process and ignore the odd signal from the headlights.

Does anyone make a 35w replacement D5S that works with the factory BCM and automatic headlight mode?