Infotainment, one touch screen off

I've searched the manual and the system but cannot find a quick way to turn off the display. This missing "feature" is not confined to my truck. I've owned and own several vehicles with on-board touchscreen displays. All of them are missing a means of turning off the display with a single press. In my way of thinking this is an oversight by many manufacturers simply because having the means to do this would make for a safer process. Having to dive into two or more menus and make multiple selections in order to simply turn off the screen is not the best or safest way of using the system.

Anyone else like to see this as a standard feature of these types of displays? Maybe GM is listening?

Edited by TrueBlue

Our Subaru has a button to turn off the "infotainment". My truck has a button to mute the sound. Of the two I like the mute better. But if both had a dedicated, or a configurable soft switch on the screen to simply turn that off, that would be the ultimate. As it is I have to go into settings, choose display, and then turn it off. Two extra steps during which my eyes are not on the road. A choice on the mainscreen, or a configurable one on the side where the other options are, well that would be a much safer option than either vehicle, or any that I've owned has had, among Toyotas, Subarus and Chevys.

2023 manual

image.png.36020e6673b4f05334b9f5991ac992ce.png

I've found -- 

Press power button - MUTE - screen displays whatever it was showing, but also indicates volume is 'off'

Press and hold power button -- OFF -- IIRC the screen  will show temp (or something) against a black background

Turn display off but leave radio on -- I haven't found that one.

I'll give these a try guys, thanks. Display off is all I'm looking for. I don't use the radio, only bluetooth so maybe that will make a difference. I'll report back on it.

2 hours ago, TrueBlue said:

I'll give these a try guys, thanks. Display off is all I'm looking for. I don't use the radio, only bluetooth so maybe that will make a difference. I'll report back on it.

Also try pressing the 'home' button.

Won't turn it off, but it may be less distracting than the display it puts up when turned 'off'

Well sadly, pressing and holding the volume button turns of the entire infotainment center.

All it would take is the ability to create a shortcut to either the Home screen, or the Shortcut Tray to the left of the screen. Both of those can be rearranged, and you can remove and add items to the Shortcut Tray, but only from those that are present on the Home screen itself.

Like I said, in the interest of safety this seems like it would be a no-brainer as an industry-wide standard on all Auto screen systems. I remember back when I was a young man insurance companies would charge more if you had an aftermarket stereo installed in your car. Same type of reasoning here. We should not text while driving of course. Nor should we be navigating into two or three menu levels to get to something so basic as an off and on switch for the display. Just my $.02

I'm with you. Sometimes at night, I want to listen to tunes but just want the interior as dark as possible for driving including turning the display off. It would be nice if there was a quick button to do that, instead of navigating 8 menus deep to do so.

5 hours ago, TrueBlue said:

Well sadly, pressing and holding the volume button turns of the entire infotainment center.

All it would take is the ability to create a shortcut to either the Home screen, or the Shortcut Tray to the left of the screen. Both of those can be rearranged, and you can remove and add items to the Shortcut Tray, but only from those that are present on the Home screen itself.

Like I said, in the interest of safety this seems like it would be a no-brainer as an industry-wide standard on all Auto screen systems. I remember back when I was a young man insurance companies would charge more if you had an aftermarket stereo installed in your car. Same type of reasoning here. We should not text while driving of course. Nor should we be navigating into two or three menu levels to get to something so basic as an off and on switch for the display. Just my $.02

I misunderstood.

I thought you were looking for a way to shut it the centre stuff off, not just the screen.

If it's a quick way to home screen you want to go to the home screen, press the 'home' hard button.

It's right below the power button/volume knob.

I usually have the centre screen on audio.

I turn down the brightness on the dash at night -- but agree that it would be nice to be able to have zero light from the centre screen when desired. 

Dash illumination isn't very handy on these trucks either. 

Edited by redwngr

Posted (edited)

Yeah, just want to turn the display off. Or at least get it down to the digital clock and a black screen behind it, just as you do when you navigate to Settings->Display->Display Off. Even in daytime. I don't much at night anymore so I don't know about the affect of the screen, or the dash lights on the eyes when it's dark outside.

Nonetheless I do appreciate you trying to help.

Edited by TrueBlue