Possible Transmission/Torque Converter Failure

Hello All,  just looking to get some thoughts here on my 2016 GMC Sierra 1500 (113k miles) with a growling/grinding sort of noise coming most prominently from the front bell housing area.  Based on what I have been researching and the location of the sound, I am thinking my torque converter is beginning to fail.  I just noticed this for the first time after a 160 mile trip home from vacation.  The whole way home the transmission shifted great and no obvious signs or noises but when I approached my driveway I noticed two hard shifts/slips.  I did take it for a brief drive the next day and the transmission seems to operate normal other than the noise.  No trouble codes so far.  I really only notice the sound when coming off idle in park or in gear or when accelerating.  No other hard shifting or slipping symptoms yet after that from what I can tell.

My question is, based on the pretty limited info I gave above, do I seem like I am likely on the right track to diagnosing a bad torque converter?  I will pull the pan over the next few days and look for excess metal shavings.  My next question is, if I have caught this early enough, can I get away with just replacing the torque converter or will I need to replace the whole transmission?  Any one here go through a similar situation?  I am interested in all feedback.  Thanks in advance.

59 minutes ago, m980 said:

Hello All,  just looking to get some thoughts here on my 2016 GMC Sierra 1500 (113k miles) with a growling/grinding sort of noise coming most prominently from the front bell housing area.  Based on what I have been researching and the location of the sound, I am thinking my torque converter is beginning to fail.  I just noticed this for the first time after a 160 mile trip home from vacation.  The whole way home the transmission shifted great and no obvious signs or noises but when I approached my driveway I noticed two hard shifts/slips.  I did take it for a brief drive the next day and the transmission seems to operate normal other than the noise.  No trouble codes so far.  I really only notice the sound when coming off idle in park or in gear or when accelerating.  No other hard shifting or slipping symptoms yet after that from what I can tell.

My question is, based on the pretty limited info I gave above, do I seem like I am likely on the right track to diagnosing a bad torque converter?  I will pull the pan over the next few days and look for excess metal shavings.  My next question is, if I have caught this early enough, can I get away with just replacing the torque converter or will I need to replace the whole transmission?  Any one here go through a similar situation?  I am interested in all feedback.  Thanks in advance.

There is a slim chance that the torque converter bolts are coming loose. This is a slim chance. I have seen it happen on 2 separate vehicles.  None that were mine.

Usually when the TC starts to fail you notice when driving at a steady cruise speed and the TC is in lock up, you will notice the RPM's fluxuates 50 to 200 RPMs, are you seeing that?

On 7/27/2024 at 1:20 AM, rlcole321 said:

Usually when the TC starts to fail you notice when driving at a steady cruise speed and the TC is in lock up, you will notice the RPM's fluxuates 50 to 200 RPMs, are you seeing that?

No I am not seeing that yet from what I have noticed.  Only the two hard shifts/slip and the noise the trans makes right where the torque converter sits when it comes off idle.

I am going to pull the pan and take a look this weekend.  Does anyone have any recommendations on torque converters?  I see RockAuto has the genuine GM ones that are reman.  Not sure if I want to put an oem one on since they are known to fail.  I see they also have TC Remanufacturing ones, any one heard or know if they are any good?  Thanks again.

57 minutes ago, Snowcamo said:

The sound you hear is the transmission oil pump. The veins are out of tolerance and wearing out the pump halves. 

The transmission really needs to be rebuilt.

This.  I would get it taken care of before it damages to the point of a more serious cost to rebuild.

• Thanks 1

Posted (edited)

Thanks for the replies.  Yes I agree that the pump halves likely need to be machined or replaced along with the pump internals.  I am just curious as to what torque converter options people have had good luck with or recommend, or perhaps people are sticking with OE?  I will obviously be replacing the torque converter at the same time.

Edited by m980

9 hours ago, m980 said:

Thanks for the replies.  Yes I agree that the pump halves likely need to be machined or replaced along with the pump internals.  I am just curious as to what torque converter options people have had good luck with or recommend, or perhaps people are sticking with OE?  I will obviously be replacing the torque converter at the same time.

Contact this place.  Boss Hog.  I talked to them at SEMA last year.  They are well aware of the issues and GM transmissions and TC. They can get you set up and even rebuild your converter and make improvements.  Tell them nicktheamsoilguy sent you.  They probably will not remember me since they talked to so many people. SEMA is a great place to go if you ever get a chance and can get in.

Edited by Black02Silverado
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

14 hours ago, Black02Silverado said:

Contact this place.  Boss Hog.  I talked to them at SEMA last year.  They are well aware of the issues and GM transmissions and TC. They can get you set up and even rebuild your converter and make improvements.  Tell them nicktheamsoilguy sent you.  They probably will not remember me since they talked to so many people. SEMA is a great place to go if you ever get a chance and can get in.

Thanks for the reply.  I will take a look into this place.  Thanks for the information!

• Like 1