Average 6L90e Mileage

So I had a converter built for my old Dodge, and got talking 6L90e because I was driving my truck. 

He asked how many transmissions I've had done, and I'm like none?  He asked how many miles, and I told him 230k.  He told me I was an all time record for miles on a 6l90e that he has ever heard, most didn’t make 100k...told me the converters usually burn up which takes out the trans.  He did tell me my frequent fluid/filter changes probably help (I also have an extra cooler).

So what is the life expectation of a 6l90e?  

Hard to say really but I've seen plenty at that 200k+ miles.

In fact I just tuned a 2011 truck with a 6L80 with 202k with the original transmission still. He wanted it tuned, so I did it even with that mileage in hopes of getting more life from it.

My work has had 2 big box trucks that made it over 150k on the stock transmission and those truck were always loaded to 10,000lbs easy every day. So I'd say if you get 200k on any stock transmission, you got your moneys worth on these trucks. Different trucks with a diesel that run an eaton, allison or heavy duty like that should see way more miles.

• Like 1

181K on mine. Shifts great. I run it colder and do frequent fluid changes. I'm happy. Shifts nicer than any of my TH-350's or TH700-R's. About the same as the 4T65E in the Buick. 

ZERO problems with mine either (2012 GMC 2500), and I've been hauling a 3,200 lb camper all over Alaska, Canada, and the entire western US. 

IMG_5336.jpg

Edited by MORSNO

• 2 weeks later...

Tin foil hat time.

6L80/90 from 2007-2013 and 6L90 on 2014 HD seem to last pretty good.  Something changed starting 2014 6L80 and 2015 6L90 which my guess is post-bankruptcy blues and there were some changes or cost cuts made to components on these.  We almost never did 6L80/90 internal work on those older ones, but the newer ones even into 2020 trucks?  Plenty of them have been opened up.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, newdude said:

Tin foil hat time.

6L80/90 from 2007-2013 and 6L90 on 2014 HD seem to last pretty good.  Something changed starting 2014 6L80 and 2015 6L90 which my guess is post-bankruptcy blues and there were some changes or cost cuts made to components on these.  We almost never did 6L80/90 internal work on those older ones, but the newer ones even into 2020 trucks?  Plenty of them have been opened up.  

Interesting, maybe he was making a blanket statement for all of them when he was thinking just newer ones?

• Like 1