If your car catches fire due to a manufacturing defect while it’s still under warranty, the coverage depends on the specific circumstances. Here’s what you need to know:

1. Car Insurance Coverage:

2. Warranty Considerations:

Looks like we are both right, i would first bring it to the attention of the selling dealership and GM just like what it says here with a chat gtp search. It also states that even a comprehensive claim can maybe affect future premiums rates and that is why i would exhaust every other angle before calling the insurance company for a payout! As long as modifications have not been made to the truck i dont see why anyone would think the manufacture has no responsibility here, this is not the first gm truck that has ignited itself here, i have seen this here a handful of times now..

5 hours ago, 64BAwagon said:

I have stopped a few on my own time with my extinguisher. Its a fine balance between being able to actually have an impact on it and risking injury. Vehicles have a narrow risk vs reward since even a small fire can make a vehicle unrepairable from an economic point. 

I know what you're saying. In my case we were trying to extricate a person while keeping the fire at bay

• Like 1

@BIGDOGx   The issue then becomes proving it was a defect which is all but impossible given that any evidence is consumed in the fire. The Insurance companies and the OEM's both know this, they have their little dance that they do and in the end WE pay for it. 

Like you say, its happened a handful of times. GM builds over 1000 trucks per day at each of several truck plants, Flint Oshawa, Fort Wayne, Texas, Mexico etc. Too many variables. 

The insurance companies and the OEMs have way better lawyers than we can afford. Let them fight it out. 

Edited by 64BAwagon
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

This is the offer they sent. Doesn’t even cover the tow or registration. That’s not counting all the belongings I’ve lost and interest paid. Doesn’t even give me my down payment back. I think it 100% should fall on Gm unless they can somehow prove the fire wasn’t caused by a mechanical issue. The truck gave me problems since I got it. 16mpg on highway (2.7l) was burning oil fast. I brought it in 3 times with check engine in limp mode.  Does anyone know what finance charge means?

IMG_8305.jpeg

5 hours ago, Johnyd33 said:

This is the offer they sent. Doesn’t even cover the tow or registration. That’s not counting all the belongings I’ve lost and interest paid. Doesn’t even give me my down payment back. I think it 100% should fall on Gm unless they can somehow prove the fire wasn’t caused by a mechanical issue. The truck gave me problems since I got it. 16mpg on highway (2.7l) was burning oil fast. I brought it in 3 times with check engine in limp mode.  Does anyone know what finance charge means?

IMG_8305.jpeg

Look up CarPro radio show. It’s free to download. It has tips on everything automotive including how to get the most money out of insurance. 

• Confused 1

5 hours ago, Johnyd33 said:

IMG_8305.jpeg

Didnt you have the truck insured? GM isn't an insurance company. They aren't going to cover personal property 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Jus Cruisin said:

Didnt you have the truck insured? GM isn't an insurance company. They aren't going to cover personal property 

No Schitt.

I don't even know why he is insisting GM pay.

The insurance company has to pay for the loss.

That's how insurance works.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, dieselfan1 said:

No Schitt.

I don't even know why he is insisting GM pay.

The insurance company has to pay for the loss.

That's how insurance works.

I’m confused that you’re confused. CarPro has section that helps people get the most back from insurance companies. Instead of checking it Mr dieselfan1 you are condescending like usual. 

56 minutes ago, KARNUT said:

I’m confused that you’re confused. CarPro has section that helps people get the most back from insurance companies. Instead of checking it Mr dieselfan1 you are condescending like usual. 

The OP is giving the impression he doesn't have insurance on the truck. That's the point here. Not sure how a radio show will stroke a check.....

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Johnyd33 said:

IMG_8305.jpeg

Were you financing the truck through a lending institution? If so, were you insured which is a requirement to get the loan?

17 minutes ago, Jus Cruisin said:

The OP is giving the impression he doesn't have insurance on the truck. That's the point here. Not sure how a radio show will stroke a check.....

If he’s has payments, he has insurance 

• Like 1

On 7/17/2024 at 5:45 AM, gemarsh said:

Also, where is this fire starting? I'm not familiar what I'm looking at. Is this the left front shock tower area?

While I'm not in no way blaming the OP, this is one of the exact reasons I carry a extinguisher in every vehicle.

I don't expect others to fight a fire with a $20 extinguisher, but I know my actions saved a $250k combine with one. Resulting in a $200 repair in the middle of harvest.

Screenshot_20240717_063352_SamsungInternet.jpg.0662436ae6b10df17c69b10e74da93d8.jpg 

GM TECH has a maintenance advisory out for about 2.5 years about that wiring harness being misrouted from factory in L3B engines and causing problems. I’ll try to find it. 2.7L fan club thread had it there but way back. 

21 hours ago, Johnyd33 said:

IMG_8305.jpeg

Looks like your offer has finance charges listed and deducted you haven’t paid or your loan requires in payoff. 

22 hours ago, Johnyd33 said:

IMG_8305.jpeg

So the Base Price was $42,042 and your payoff is $42,282? So you have driven this truck since 2022 and you owe more than you paid for it?

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Bikerjon said:

So the Base Price was $42,042 and your payoff is $42,282? So you have driven this truck since 2022 and you owe more than you paid for it?

Very possible. That was a bad time in our history. Dealers adding crap, market adjustments.

• Like 1