General Motors I am beyond disappointed with the customer service I’ve received regarding my truck. I hope my voice gets heard in this matter. June 8th I was enjoying my Saturday, my engine made strange noises when starting my truck and stalled out on me at a light. When I started the truck again it made strange noises and started to smell funny, so I pulled over when suddenly my truck caught on fire. There could have potentially been an explosion injuring or killing me and innocent bystanders.  I purchased the truck in February for 45,000$ and haven’t even put 10,000 miles on it. 

No assistance in putting me in a vehicle since the ordeal. I’ve been paying on the truck and the insurance. Customer service has been very rude to me. They won’t give me any information on the investigation for MY truck stating what caused the fire, however They decided to buyout the vehicle.. still waiting on an offer. I was informed that I won’t be reimbursed for anything I don’t have receipts for. I keep all my receipts in my glove box which caught on fire. Plus there’s many items I travel with that I don’t have receipts for. I had sentimental items in the truck, like a picture of my dad on the dash. 

Buying out the truck doesn’t cover the down payment I just put on the vehicle in February doesn’t cover all the rides I’ve had to navigate and pay for the past month and 9 days.
I’ve been stuck at home all summer, no truck to take my boat out fishing. I am falling into a dark hole I’m depressed. I want my life back. I want to feel like a valued customer. 

#customerservice #customersatisfaction #GMC #chevy #fire #disappointed #share #like #fypviralシ

IMG_7689.jpeg

IMG_7690.jpeg

IMG_7692.jpeg

IMG_7691.png

• Sad 1

It sucks, but they didn't have to buy the truck back.  Guessing they are determining there is some defect or fault on their part that they may be trying to cover up if it happened that quickly. Could be in your best interest to not accept the offer until more is brought to light or you may limit what can be ultimately recovered.

You had it insured. Your insurance company will provide you a replacement vehicle until you find a new one. Assuming it's totaled. GM should basically be out of the picture. It's you and your insurance. 

• Like 3

24 minutes ago, Jus Cruisin said:

You had it insured. Your insurance company will provide you a replacement vehicle until you find a new one. Assuming it's totaled. GM should basically be out of the picture. It's you and your insurance. 

^^^ This. Insurance should be handling it They should pay out the value and you move on

• Like 3

GM owed you nothing. Theres zero chance of determining the actual origin of that fire other than to say its origin was in the engine compartment. Automotive fires are common, I know because I put a bunch of them out in my 25 yr career. Your story is not unique. This is why you pay insurance. If theres a delay in getting you in a new vehicle its an issue with your agent. Your insurance should have settled with you and then dealt with GM for whatever amount GM decided to contribute. No one is waiting for a cause, it will ultimately be "undetermined" because its extremely expensive and difficult to find. It would cost substantially more than the vehicle is worth. 

Call your agent and let them earn their money.  This is where you find out if all the hype your insurance agent talks is actually true. 

I feel your pain but its just a truck, they build new ones every day, thousands of them actually. No one was hurt and thats whats most important. 

Edited by 64BAwagon
  • Like 6

I'm on the fence with this one. 

Vehicle was still under bumper to bumper. I feel this should fall under warranty? This was a mechanical error, not an accident causing the fire.

I honestly don't know how insurances work. I always thought it was for accidents, hail, operator error, glass breakage, etc. Not mechanical issues. 

Am I to believe now, that my auto insurance is the same as an extended service contract, aka extended warranty? 

Help an old fart out.

• Like 1

Also, where is this fire starting? I'm not familiar what I'm looking at. Is this the left front shock tower area?

While I'm not in no way blaming the OP, this is one of the exact reasons I carry a extinguisher in every vehicle.

I don't expect others to fight a fire with a $20 extinguisher, but I know my actions saved a $250k combine with one. Resulting in a $200 repair in the middle of harvest.

Screenshot_20240717_063352_SamsungInternet.jpg.0662436ae6b10df17c69b10e74da93d8.jpg 

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, gemarsh said:

Vehicle was still under bumper to bumper. I feel this should fall under warranty? This was a mechanical error, not an accident causing the fire.

I honestly don't know how insurances work. I always thought it was for accidents, hail, operator error, glass breakage, etc. Not mechanical issues. 

Am I to believe now, that my auto insurance is the same as an extended service contract, aka extended warranty? 

Help an old fart out.

That's the comprehensive area of an auto insurance policy that covers this situation. Just like a total from floods. 

3 hours ago, gemarsh said:

Also, where is this fire starting? I'm not familiar what I'm looking at. Is this the left front shock tower area?

While I'm not in no way blaming the OP, this is one of the exact reasons I carry a extinguisher in every vehicle.

I don't expect others to fight a fire with a $20 extinguisher, but I know my actions saved a $250k combine with one. Resulting in a $200 repair in the middle of harvest.

Screenshot_20240717_063352_SamsungInternet.jpg.0662436ae6b10df17c69b10e74da93d8.jpg 

I actually carry 2 in my truck after coming up on a vehicle fire and fighting it

3 hours ago, gemarsh said:

Help an old fart out.

The problem lies in definitively determining a cause. It is very difficult and expensive (if possible) and likely the forensics would cost more than the claim. Theres a large difference between what you think might have happened and what can be proven scientifically. Even though its still under warranty the vehicle has passed through the hands of 2 owners and been out of GM's control since it was shipped to the dealer. They have no idea whats been done to it since it left their control nor does the current owner since he bought it used. We can assume it was a mechanical error but what exactly was it ? were there rodents that chewed through some wiring and caused it ?  Thats a common failure on many late model vehicles.  Too many possibilities. Some of this I blame on TV shows that have 100 scientist working in a lab next to a wall screen showing the entire event as it unfolded. Thats NOT how the world works. 

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, txab said:

I actually carry 2 in my truck after coming up on a vehicle fire and fighting it

I have stopped a few on my own time with my extinguisher. Its a fine balance between being able to actually have an impact on it and risking injury. Vehicles have a narrow risk vs reward since even a small fire can make a vehicle unrepairable from an economic point. 

• Like 1

Ah the truck was still under warranty, another person did not come and firebomb his truck. He didn't get in accident which caused it to burn down. No he was driving normally and it decided to incinerate itself.

Please im all ears for the so called lmao experts here in this thread who have quickly exonerated GM from any responsibility here. Also please tell me how a flaw with a new truck that burns down to the ground is the responsibility of the insurance company, they are not there to pay out claims because gm has issues with their vehicles self immolating! Also to the OP making this claim might have actual long-term negative effects on your future rates. I would exhaust all avenues before using your insurance here, this responsibility imo should 100% fall on GM! We have had multiple people on this website have their trucks just burn themselves to the ground, maybe they can chime in to see what the process was for them.

• Thanks 2

The insurance company if it’s worth the effort will go after whom they think they can get money out of. They’ll search the net or the records of claims to see if there’s a pattern. Yes they should be called first. It’s their job to investigate. Some companies are using soy based wire insulation that mice love. So you can’t rule out rodents. My brother in law had to get rid of a Toyota truck that was constantly dinner for rodents. I have outdoor cats for that reason. They winter in my garage. My brother keeps his hoods open a little. As a deterrent. 

1 hour ago, KARNUT said:

The insurance company if it’s worth the effort will go after whom they think they can get money out of. They’ll search the net or the records of claims to see if there’s a pattern. Yes they should be called first. It’s their job to investigate. Some companies are using soy based wire insulation that mice love. So you can’t rule out rodents. My brother in law had to get rid of a Toyota truck that was constantly dinner for rodents. I have outdoor cats for that reason. They winter in my garage. My brother keeps his hoods open a little. As a deterrent. 

Exactly right insurance will take care of it not GM that's why they're insurance investigators and if need be they will go to GM to get there money but that's a stretch.

OP doesn't say if any aftermarket equipment was Installed there's a lot of unanswered questions here. It must be a used truck as he said he only payed 45,000 for it.

Just went back and saw his 1st post as it's a 2022 sle and had 25,000 miles on it when he bought it so it's hard to say what happened 

Edited by Silverado4x4
  • Like 1

As one of the so called "experts" I think I already explained my point. Clearly you have a different view which is your right.

The OP hasnt been back since his original post, I believe its time for me to move on.