Is Google and the infotainment center really that unreliable ??

Just bought a 2024 LTZ with Technology package.  I had struggles right of the bat getting the Google accounts setup.  Everything from authentication errors to my final battle of getting Youtube Music to work. Yes, I have a premium account.  YouTube music would play if I clicked it directly but if I used the assistant "Hey google play Boston"  it would say got it, playing on Youtube music then a short pause and tell me I need YouTube premium. Ummmm Got that.

I dont know how I finally resolved it. Might have been when I found a hidden swipe left page that allowed me to update Android Auto Apps including YT Music.

Yesterday, the Google assistant stopped working and the Google map on the right 1/3 of screen would not load. I could load the full Google map but  the small shared screen one would not. As I say that, I just remembered the full map came up and the truck was 1 mile away from correct location.   Tried holding the end call button down and doing that reset but no luck.  So did a full GM infotainment reset , added the Gmail account with YouTube premium and got my Google setup again.  Assistant started working again (after it did an update) but YT music still foobar. One time it would give me the message you need a premium account and the next time it would say that I need to sign into YouTube with the same account that I sign in with Assistant even though it already was.

After dicking with in an hour the Assistant and YT music worked again. But honestly, Will be surprised if it runs a week.

I did some Googling on the subject and looks like many people fight the system.   I wish I knew a straightforward process to rectify this "next time" but dont know for sure what I did the last two.   I have had this truck 10 days and have messed with Google more than I have drove it!

Rich

Edited by rrmccabe
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I took my 2023 to the dealer 2 weeks ago and they applied an update. It still has a lot of bugs and have had maps freeze on the large and small screen. Honestly, this infotainment system is a slow POS. MY 2021 Sierrra had a much more reliable and faster system. 

Well since my post the posted speed sign stopped working again and onstar has to walk me through a full reset... Again...

Not impressed.  2 weeks old and 450 miles and 3 resets.

I don't run split screen. Full map in dark mode. I also use SiriusXM for tunes. 18 months into ownership with no complaints worth whining about. I'm much happier with the Google system over the old gm navigation I had in a few Corvettes and Camaro. Routing makes sense a majority of the time. Voice commands work for calling, responding to text messages, etc. 

There is no doubt the Google system is better than old GM NAV.  My first experience with that was my Trailblazer SS and it was horrible. On top of that GM wanted to charge you for DVD updates which where still way behind. Same thing in my 17 high country. NAV was not worth using so I tethered the phone with Android Auto.

I am not overly happy you need a Data plan in all the new trucks to have functionality for the Google features I had for free in the 17.  My salesman failed to mention that when he was talking about Google. That said, I am at my limit for things I am going to pay for monthly including Sirius XM.  When my trial runs out in a week and a half, I am done.

The google stuff should be free. We are paying for a phone with all the data as it is. GM just wants more money on top of the $70k I dropped on the truck.

I have not found an option that controls your default source for media.  When I "Hey Google, play....." its always YouTube music which is also a pay thing but my YouTube premium fortunately includes that.  I also have a pretty sizable playlist on USB but have not figured out how to voice command that yet.

When the infotainment works, it works great. For the most part, I have been happy with it.  But in the 2 1/2 weeks I have had it, I have had things stop working 3 times where Onstar had me reset things which lost some of my settings.

3 minutes ago, repairman54 said:

No issues with my '23 LTZ w/tech package. I get weekly Google map updates also. No internet plan. 

I assume the posted speed limit sign on your dash and HUD no longer works. I have been told that this function and other Google features in the infotainment no longer work without data.

I have figured out that the maps on the GM home screen and the maps on the Android auto screen are independent and one lacks in features like satellite view.

I have the speed sign in both my pickup and my '20 Traverse. I have the lesser Onstar plans in both of them so I have phone remote starting. 

Edited by repairman54

OK so you must have some sort of subscription data.  Minimal at least. If you did not have that, I dont think you would have full functionality.

Its likely I will keep up a minimal plan on this truck as many of the features require it.

The Posted Speed limit feature on the HUD is very nice.

Just ran some errands and on the way there the Posted Speed Limit sign function did not work. The radio cut in and out on my internet source so was thinking maybe its AT&T coverage problem.

On way back Posted speed limit did not work, radio stopped playing completely  and eventually radio rebooted on its own.  Posted Speed Limit sign did not work after that.

1 hour ago, rrmccabe said:

Just ran some errands and on the way there the Posted Speed Limit sign function did not work. The radio cut in and out on my internet source so was thinking maybe its AT&T coverage problem.

On way back Posted speed limit did not work, radio stopped playing completely  and eventually radio rebooted on its own.  Posted Speed Limit sign did not work after that.

Your truck is certainly not functioning as designed. Time to get to know your service dept. 

Yea I am on that.  Called them an hour ago and setup appt for Monday at 7:30am.

But I feel there are a lot of people having issues as much of these issues are posted about by other people on this site and others.

They did "radio updates" this morning and found a code for front camera which they had to order. They said camera is unrelated.

I am not sure if they actually updated the radio or just did something to allow updates over USB and SPS (whatever that is). 

Its hard to tell from the invoice they gave me

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/23/2024 at 10:25 AM, rrmccabe said:

I'm having this same issue, similar chain of events.   This seems to be a 2024 issue as my 2023 worked great.  

Talked with Onstar & GM customer support for hours, twice-resetting everything.   The speed limit sign works only in certain areas and there's no rhyme or reason to it.  It doesn't work at all where I live.  My 2023 worked fine everywhere.  GM told me it needs updating at the dealer, that's the next step for me.