2001 Chevy Silverado, 4.8 liter 4x4 extended cab.. serious steering wheel wobble on the highway.. not always though, confused...

I have a 2001 Chevy Silverado, 4.8 liter 4x4 extended cab.. experiencing a serious steering wheel wobble on the highway.. not always though, confused...

any thoughts? thx!

New tires, checked suspension parts, I’m passed the obvious and looking for someone who went through hell like I am but has the solution. Sorry, I should have been more clear. Thx for your input

A Ford I did a while ago it was bad cab mounts, check the steering column for excess play. Did it do the same thing with the old tires?

Edited by richard wysong

On 7/11/2024 at 7:40 PM, awbooth said:

I have a 2001 Chevy Silverado, 4.8 liter 4x4 extended cab.. experiencing a serious steering wheel wobble on the highway.. not always though, confused...

any thoughts? thx!

My wife's truck had a problem that may be related. There is a thing called "Variable Assist Power Steering" that routes the power steering fluid through a valve on the steering column. It is supposed to work like this: while the truck is sitting still in a parking lot it requires more physical effort to turn the steering wheel so the "variable assist" gives you more power to  turn the steering wheel. Once you are moving, however, you do not need this assist and, in fact, you do not want it because it will make driving at speed dangerous - the truck becomes very "twitchy. So there is a sensor somewhere that detects the speed and reduces the amount of assist.

In the application notes in the latter file the 1997 - 2001 Silverado/Sierra is stated.

My wife's truck, however, was a 2006 Silverado 4X4.

The attached files below show the sensor.

PT 20-0024.pdfPT 20-0031.pdf