Side X Side Owners?

diyer2

Posted (edited)

Just curious if anybody has one. 

We just bought one, been looking at them for 5 years.

Bought a Kawasaki Ridge XR HVAC. 

Edited by diyer2

My family has a 2022 Can-Am Defender HD9, been great so far. The only downside is the nobby tires that it came with, makes for a not so smooth ride under like 20mph and causes the cab to vibrate alot of pavement. Once they are worn down more it will smooth out and it would be kinda dumb to replace tires with almost no miles on them.

Try lowering the tire pressure. The owners manual for the Ridge state's Front 12-16 psi Rear 17-26 psi based on weight. I figure just riders you could use the lowest pressure.

My ATV tires are at 5 psi always, better ride.

First ride yesterday, been tinkering. Took a trail I have used many times with our Honda ATV, what a big difference. Big ride improvement, cab was nice along with A/C. No showering when you get home because of dust. 

• 2 weeks later...

The problems in the auto/truck industry are also in the off road industry. I knew I was buying a new model Kawasaki side by side. dealer is 2 hours away. The computer in this new model comes in a mode called dealer or demo, haven't figured this out yet .

The details of my experience.
I test drove 2 Ridges, my XR HVAC and a Ranch Edition. The check engine light was on in the XR and I told the salesman it ran at high rpms at low speeds, he said you have to get used to it. I said I disagree and he checked on it. He came out with the Ranch Edition and said it was not in demo mode, no check engine light. Big difference in performance, lower rpms, flooring the accelerator it would push you into the seat. Way more power.

My Ridge XR HVAC does not have a check engine light but doesn't perform like the Ranch Edition did and it's more powerful. There's something wrong, these are new machines and I think the dealers are going through a learning curve.

Mine runs at 5k rpms at 17 mph, this is supposed to deter theft off of dealer lots is what I was told. This mode is supposed to removed when they prep the machine before going to the customer. 

Been waiting 2 days for the general manager at the dealer to call me about this. Just don't want to use it due to the high rpms all the time.

More news, also had a plow installed and they ordered the actuator for the power angle of the plow blade, told me no estimate of availability but was listed on the Kawasaki parts site. When I picked it up I questioned them about getting this and got the same reply. Asked to see the general manager, after pushing him to find out what is going on he informed me the Kawasaki sub contractor hasn't started production of this part yet. There is a harness for the remote control for the winch that is MIA. No ETA. 

Looks like I will be making a few trips to the dealer to resolve these issues because I paid to have them installed. That is bad enough but I borrow a friends  trailer to haul it, not my usual way but they volunteered to let me use it. I figured I would pick it up and be done, 7x14 trailers aren't cheap IMO. I will pay for the trailer use though.

Good thing I didn't sell my truck, I was thinking about it.

The saga continues. 

• Sad 2

I did the first service at 80 miles, manual says 120. Amsoil fluids.

The differentials were both low from the factory.  

Passenger door required some adjustment, rattled and a small gap at top corner. 

This thing will do 74 mph according to Kawasaki, I'm never going to go that fast. I don't have a place to to test it anyways.

Overall, happy with it and I'm glad I went with the Kawasaki instead of Polaris. The inline 4 cylinder motor was a big factor.

It was quieter and more HP, Kawasaki has been building this motor in various configurations for 50 years.

• Like 1

Liking this thing more and more. The ride, not dealing with the weather, like rain is so nice. 

It had a slight wine in the front differential that has went away since servicing it with Amsoil fluids. The gas mileage is terrible though. 

I joined a forum for this machine of course. Being a new model and limited supply not many members yet. On this forum there is a thread about pressure building up in the gas tank, when you remove the gas cap it pops off due to this pressure. The OP changed the factory one way pressure valve that only allowed air into the gas tank. He claims it improved the MPG. Does this make sense?

I will see, I ordered one.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

These are very popular around here. I see them on the street some as well.  For those reading this and are not aware, AMSOIL. had oil change kit for some models. 

https://www.amsoil.com/lookup/utv/?zo=521390

Edited by Black02Silverado
  • Thanks 1

On 7/21/2024 at 9:23 AM, diyer2 said:

Kawasaki Ridge XR HVAC

2024 Kawasaki Ridge® XR HVAC | Sport Cycles

Expensive toy.  Terrible efficiencies vs buying a used Jeep or something like that?  Our HOA just denied allowing these on our roads UNLESS its working moving snow or going to a worksite.