2023 duramax slight shake at idle

Hey guys. 24k miles on my l5p. Stock. Got  quick question for you guys. I was at a stop light today and noticed the truck was kind of shaking? It’s not horrible by any means but I looked at my banks Idash and my soot level is at 92. (Not sure if that’s why and needs to regen). No idle surging or anything. Just seeing if anyone has this experience? Is it normal? I don’t have any check engine light or pending codes. Truck seems fine. doesn’t do it in park from what I noticed in the drive way. 

I've noticed mine running a bit rough when it's doing a regen, almost like the timing is slightly off and sometimes the idle rpm will jump up and down. It all goes away after it's done with the regen though.

Well my truck hasn’t gone into regen just yet. It’s almost there. I was curious if anyone noticed a slight shake while idling at like a stop light. I’m assuming it’s from the truck needing to be regen cause the dpf is at its limit now to be burned off and is sooted up

Not the newer L5P but my 2018 never idled rough when in a regen.  When it is in a regen they will idle about 200 RPMs higher so it is usually smooth.  Same thing with my former LML and the 2 LMMs I had. 

I’m not asking about while it’s in regen. I’m asking if it’s normal to have a little bit of shake while the truck is idling… like I can be sitting in my truck at a stop light and sometimes I can feel the truck shake very so slightly sometimes. I only brought up the regen because it’s close to going into regen since the soot level is at 90%+ so I was saying maybe that could be a reason why I’m experiencing the slight shake…

I would have to say yes it is normal.  I've experienced that too but across the board on various vehicles and trucks including my previous already mentioned units.

So I got the truck to regen and the shake is still there slightly. I’m going to assume it is normal. I did buy some ACDelco fuel treatment and ima run that and see how that does. But I think it’s because it’s a v8 and I’m not use to having a v8 … 

I'd suggest running a good diesel additive at every tank.  Low sulfur diesel means lower lubricity for the fuel system.  No need to waste the money using the AC/Delco stuff, there are good products out there, I ran Optilube in my duramax's and Hot Shots Secret is also a favorite in the diesel field. 

• 3 weeks later...

I have noticed this on my 2024 3500.  Its very faint, doesn't do it all the time.  I can only really feel in the seat of my pants.  I can think I have have only noticed it maybe 4 or 5 times in 6000 miles.

On 7/4/2024 at 8:32 PM, fjcanepa07 said:

I’m not asking about while it’s in regen. I’m asking if it’s normal to have a little bit of shake while the truck is idling… like I can be sitting in my truck at a stop light and sometimes I can feel the truck shake very so slightly sometimes. I only brought up the regen because it’s close to going into regen since the soot level is at 90%+ so I was saying maybe that could be a reason why I’m experiencing the slight shake…

Bad quality diesel most probably - I’ve seen mine (2024 )  do that after an occasional fill up - mine definitely likes non biodiesel - gas mileage is 15-20% higher too  ( currently 8.6k miles ) - one more detail - try going for a long drive ( approx 100+ miles, highway sped ) - really helps clear the system 

Edited by Jeepa
  • Like 1

• 5 weeks later...
On 7/26/2024 at 8:41 AM, Jeepa said:

How do you check the soot level ? Is that an info page readout ? 

He must have an aftermarket OBDII  port reader.

The truck displays do not indicate soot level, and they do not indicate when it is in 'normal' regen.