Any way to delete front fuel tank on chassis cab?

I have a ‘17 chassis cab 3500 6.0 gas with dual tanks that have been driving me nuts.  

The guage won’t work and it is not, or not all the time, pumping fuel from the rear tank to the front. 

This truck pulls a lot so it’s usually getting 5-5-5 mpg and 100 mile range with no fuel gauge is just not acceptable. 

The 40 gallon tank on its own with a working fuel gauge would be plenty acceptable.  

Truck has 14K (yeah 14) and is in new condition otherwise.  

The front tank is the primary, so the engine is fed off of that.  

The rear tank is the secondary and just supplies the primary.  

I'd suggest fixing the issue with your fuel gauge.

3 hours ago, newdude said:

The front tank is the primary, so the engine is fed off of that.  

The rear tank is the secondary and just supplies the primary.  

I'd suggest fixing the issue with your fuel gauge.

It’s not just the gauge. The gauge is always at 1/4 but it’s also not pumping from the rear tank sometimes so I might go 120 miles or 350 miles and run out of gas.  No telling.  

15 hours ago, samuse said:

It’s not just the gauge. The gauge is always at 1/4 but it’s also not pumping from the rear tank sometimes so I might go 120 miles or 350 miles and run out of gas.  No telling.  

Sounds like your problem is the rear tank then or wiring to it that controls the rear pump.  You are getting intermittent rear pump issues.  Front pump sounds like its working fine but its not getting fuel from the rear all the time to keep the front tank full to run the truck.  

Could be bad wiring, bad rear pump, bad ECM, bad intermittent ground.  

DESCRIPTION AND OPERATION:

Fuel Transfer Pump (w/ dual fuel tanks)

The ECM provides ignition positive voltage to the coil side of the fuel transfer pump relay. The ECM energizes the fuel transfer pump relay, which applies power to the fuel transfer pump. When the primary (front) fuel tank level is less than 50  liters (13.2 gallons) and the secondary (rear) fuel tank level is greater than 5 liters (1.3 gallons), the fuel transfer pump is commanded on and continues to transfer fuel to the primary fuel tank until the primary fuel tank level reaches 70 liters (18.5 gallons) and then the fuel transfer pump is commanded Off. When the secondary fuel tank level drops below 5 liters (1.3 gallons) and the primary tank is below 50 liters (13.2 gallons), the ECM commands the fuel transfer pump on for 180 s to pump the remaining fuel to the primary fuel tank.

• Like 1