I need help with my 2015 silverado 1500 midnight edition suspension - looking for smooth/soft ride

When I bought the truck it had a rancho leveling kit and stock rancho rear suspension. It rode OK but nothing great.

This truck is a daily driver to work and back 40 mile round trip commute, family hauler, never tows more then a couple thousand pounds and most off road it sees is light hunting/fishing etc.

THE MOST IMPORTANT thing to me with this truck is longevity and I want a SMOOTH SOFT ride like when brand new.

I am thinking about taking off the level kit from the front and putting that back to stock. HOW MUCH DO I NEED TO DROP THE REAR AND WHAT PRODUCT SHOULD I USE?

Best shocks for smooth soft ride? Factory shocks? Eibach? Fox?

Thanks in advance!

KZ+uhdRDTxqBobpOHZFt%A_thumb_20eb.jpg

Edited by midnight15IA

39 minutes ago, midnight15IA said:

When I bought the truck it had a rancho leveling kit and stock rancho rear suspension. It rode OK but nothing great.

This truck is a daily driver to work and back 40 mile round trip commute, family hauler, never tows more then a couple thousand pounds and most off road it sees is light hunting/fishing etc.

THE MOST IMPORTANT thing to me with this truck is longevity and I want a SMOOTH SOFT ride like when brand new.

I am thinking about taking off the level kit from the front and putting that back to stock. HOW MUCH DO I NEED TO DROP THE REAR AND WHAT PRODUCT SHOULD I USE?

Best shocks for smooth soft ride? Factory shocks? Eibach? Fox?

Thanks in advance!

KZ+uhdRDTxqBobpOHZFt%A_thumb_20eb.jpg

If you remove the leveling kit. and take out the rear blocks. You'll be doing what's call a reverse leveling. I'm not 100% but I think coil overs like Eibach would be a softer smooth ride 

4 hours ago, Homewrecker007 said:

If you remove the leveling kit. and take out the rear blocks. You'll be doing what's call a reverse leveling. I'm not 100% but I think coil overs like Eibach would be a softer smooth ride 

Will that get it completely level?

Just now, midnight15IA said:

Will that get it completely level?

I’m also going to put it on either Michelin dedicated snow tires or nokian top of the line for this winter. 

If the rear is currently stock ranchos, it has a small block under spring (1.25”). Removing front lift spacer will put factory front rake back (front slightly lower than unloaded rear) and should make ride smoother, since front shocks will ride in the middle of their travel rather than being “stretched”. 

I didn’t like stock ranchos. Too soft and not enough control. I went Fox and like them, but they are not “smooth” like I assume you mean. I would think the Bilstiens might be good upgrade. 

Edited by ftwhite
  • Like 1

54 minutes ago, ftwhite said:

If the rear is currently stock ranchos, it has a small block under spring (1.25”). Removing front lift spacer will put factory front rake back (front slightly lower than unloaded rear) and should make ride smoother, since front shocks will ride in the middle of their travel rather than being “stretched”. 

I didn’t like stock ranchos. Too soft and not enough control. I went Fox and like them, but they are not “smooth” like I assume you mean. I would think the Bilstiens might be good upgrade. 

Bilstein are the one's I like but might be a stiffer ride If you go with 5100 or 5160 

On 6/30/2024 at 4:23 PM, ftwhite said:

Interesting... So the Fox shocks seem to ride stiff as well? Hmm I suppose I could throw Bilstein on and if I don't think they are enough I could go for the full Eibach set up...

On 7/3/2024 at 5:27 AM, midnight15IA said:

Interesting... So the Fox shocks seem to ride stiff as well? Hmm I suppose I could throw Bilstein on and if I don't think they are enough I could go for the full Eibach set up...

Bilstein 5100 are stiff while empty and have a pretty rough ride. They are great if towing heavy loads. Fox 2.0 are firmer than stock but not as firm as the 5100’s. They drive smooth at speed but impacts are more noticeable compared to OEM. Honestly if you don’t care about the leveling I would go back to a new set of OEM shocks all around. They will give you the smoothest possible ride being that they’re twin tube shocks (less dampening ability which translates to smoother ride at the expense of handling/overall bounciness of the ride quality) but will still do the job. 

I’ve had all three setups including the rancho quick lift as well. I do not recommend the quicklift setup. I currently have fox 2.0. I like it but it’s not as “soft” as OEM. Again if I were you I would just find the OEM setup. That is the softest ride quality you’re gonna be able to get out of a 1500. 

• Thanks 1

27 minutes ago, Jv said:

Bilstein 5100 are stiff while empty and have a pretty rough ride. They are great if towing heavy loads. Fox 2.0 are firmer than stock but not as firm as the 5100’s. They drive smooth at speed but impacts are more noticeable compared to OEM. Honestly if you don’t care about the leveling I would go back to a new set of OEM shocks all around. They will give you the smoothest possible ride being that they’re twin tube shocks (less dampening ability which translates to smoother ride at the expense of handling/overall bounciness of the ride quality) but will still do the job. 

I’ve had all three setups including the rancho quick lift as well. I do not recommend the quicklift setup. I currently have fox 2.0. I like it but it’s not as “soft” as OEM. Again if I were you I would just find the OEM setup. That is the softest ride quality you’re gonna be able to get out of a 1500. 

THANK YOU!! Thats EXACTLY what I was looking for!! I've been doing research for over a month and a lot of stuff is based upon random opinions or Ive tried one thing or ive heard such and such. Ive wanted feedback from someone who actually had my truck or one very similar and had actually tried the different set ups!

I am thinking the exact same as you.

Now I will have to look and see what the exact OEM shock was there as I don't want to buy the wrong ones!

3 hours ago, midnight15IA said:

THANK YOU!! Thats EXACTLY what I was looking for!! I've been doing research for over a month and a lot of stuff is based upon random opinions or Ive tried one thing or ive heard such and such. Ive wanted feedback from someone who actually had my truck or one very similar and had actually tried the different set ups!

I am thinking the exact same as you.

Now I will have to look and see what the exact OEM shock was there as I don't want to buy the wrong ones!

No problem. I went down this route so I just wanted to share my experience. 

An alternative to OEM is the rancho RS5000x’s. I forgot to mention I had these on my rear and the ride quality was pretty smooth. They felt pretty much the same as the OEM so these might be a cheap alternative. I bought these after getting rid of the Bilstein’s due to the stiff ride quality in the rear especially. Might be an option for you. They even have one that comes with a coil pre installed which makes things easy for the fronts. 

https://www.americantrucks.com/search?keywords=Rs5000x&generationId=18&vehicleGroup=Silverado1500&vehicleType=Silverado

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, Jv said:

No problem. I went down this route so I just wanted to share my experience. 

An alternative to OEM is the rancho RS5000x’s. I forgot to mention I had these on my rear and the ride quality was pretty smooth. They felt pretty much the same as the OEM so these might be a cheap alternative. I bought these after getting rid of the Bilstein’s due to the stiff ride quality in the rear especially. Might be an option for you. They even have one that comes with a coil pre installed which makes things easy for the fronts. 

https://www.americantrucks.com/search?keywords=Rs5000x&generationId=18&vehicleGroup=Silverado1500&vehicleType=Silverado

I'm thinking I am going to give the stock shocks again. As stated before this truck doesn't see heavy towing or offroad that the stock shocks couldn't handle. Its also WAY cheaper then going Eibach at all 4 corners.

Has anyone else went back to stock? How did it feel to you?

• Like 1