2003 4.3 Auto, Strange Idle Issue

Is there a link between the transmission being in a drive gear and engine idle speed? Does the trans send a signal to the PCM that raises the idle? My truck is an S10 but this forum gets much more traffic than the S10 room does so I'm posting here. Sorry. Truck has 137k miles, I've kept up on maintenance to include replacing the F.I. spider a couple months ago which fixed a "hard to start" issue. I cant find any vac leaks, TPS and IAC valve are new too. The truck knows when it's in drive or reverse and the idle speed rises to about 1400rpm. Sometimes, when I'm driving, I'll pull it into neutral, the rpm's will sort of cycle, 1000, 1500, 2000, 1500, 1000. Strange.

Yes, I've searched here and on the net in general. Everyone says throw a TPS or IAC at it.

I bought one of those bluetooth dongles on ebay but to be honest, I dont know much about the diagnostic data it gives me.

I'm wondering if it's a transmission or PCM issue and not a fuel system issue at all. Really need a little help, any input would be appreciated.

Edited by Spiney Norman

Any codes? Is the TPS within range throttles closed? The trans selector switch does indeed transmit to the PCM. Have you tried cleaning the throttle plates? has the throttle stop adjustment been messed with? Try doing an idle relearn if all else checks out

No codes at all. I cleaned the he!! out of the throttle body when I had it off a couple months ago to replace the fuel injector spider. I have not messed with the throttle stop. That's not to say it hasn't been adjusted. The truck was in rough shape when I bought it. It was cheap for a reason.

My TPS shows .39% at idle

I thought the "idle relearn" was only for the modern fly-by-wire throttle systems? Mine is old school cable operated.

Edited by Spiney Norman