Oil Life Monitor - Predicting Oil Life Remaining after X Miles Driven

Probity

Lots of "interesting" comments. Somehow it's devolved into discussing in general "when should you change your oil/filter" instead of observations/opinions/etc. on GM oil life monitor operation (what I'm interested in/curious about). Everyone has their own opinion/idea on best oil-change interval mileage and type of oil/filter to use, I've got mine, you've got yours. Like others I use an OLM as a general guideline/reminder, not a "thou must not let your OLM drop below XX% before changing your oil".

Anyway - so any thoughts/ideas on what my OLM % remaining will be after my ~2300 mile R/T (over a 4 day period), given that it's currently at ~64%?

2 hours ago, Probity said:

Lots of "interesting" comments. Somehow it's devolved into discussing in general "when should you change your oil/filter" instead of observations/opinions/etc. on GM oil life monitor operation (what I'm interested in/curious about). Everyone has their own opinion/idea on best oil-change interval mileage and type of oil/filter to use, I've got mine, you've got yours. Like others I use an OLM as a general guideline/reminder, not a "thou must not let your OLM drop below XX% before changing your oil".

Anyway - so any thoughts/ideas on what my OLM % remaining will be after my ~2300 mile R/T (over a 4 day period), given that it's currently at ~64%?

Again, lots of factors here.  Long highway trip being its steady or mostly steady RPMs won't lower the percentage as much as if you were doing 2300mi of straight city driving with constant stop and go.  

There are plenty of observations and opinions on the first page about the OLM.  Sure, some things are a bit more personal thoughts and whatnot, but generally those that really dive deep into oil drain intervals and oil analysis will throw the OLM right out the window. 

Why?  2 things.  Lots of variables with how you drive being one, but the bigger one?  The OLM does NOT know the state or condition of the oil and its additive package.  It has zero way of actually testing the "life" of the oil in there.

That's why I mentioned in my first reply that those who want to "follow" the OLM should really be getting some oil samples to see how it lines up with the OLM.

Edited by newdude
  • Thanks 3

Here's a thought, use the rest of this week planning on how to have a successful trip and using that check list to make sure you're not forgetting something important instead of wasting time on pondering on something relatively unimportant that you will have the answer to once you hit the road and your OLM drops 1% and you can extrapolate from there. Don't be the Dad of that "Home Alone" kid.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1