Hi Everyone, Brand New 2024. What to expect?

Well, I just purchased yesterday. I just found this forum today. And let me just say, after reading a few posts, I think I should have found this forum first before I bought. You guys have me scared to death. I was in the market for a new truck and was looking at the Toyota Tundra. But after hearing all the problems they were having with engine failures and recalls, I decided to look elsewhere. I found a 2024 Silverado High Country for $62k and thought that was a good deal. I couldn't get a similarly equipped Ford for under $70k. So I spent most of the day in the dealer yesterday and worked out a deal for the truck. I was pretty happy with it all the way home and most of today. But now I come here and see that the 6.2 liter engines are having a bunch of failures. And of course the one I bought has the 6.2 engine in it. So what should I be on the lookout for? I have seen a few posts about lifters and them ticking, but I have no idea what this means. Also, I am seeing suggestions of making sure the oil is changed on a regular basis. Is there anything else I need to be aware of? Should I try to return this vehicle to the dealer? I'm at about 150 miles right now, I won't be driving it that much as my job is sending me a brand new truck next week. ( That's a silverado too, lol.) But I still don't want to be stuck with a lemon. I definitely don't want to be far from home and have some catastrophic engine failure. I'm feeling a little bummed now after finding these forums. Any help or suggestions are greatly appreciated. TIA. 

Zero issues with my '23 6.2 LTZ with 22k miles on it. Lots of towing miles also. 

On these forums you mostly see folks with issues complaining about their vehicles. Very few that have zero issues with theirs. I'm a motorhead so that's why I'm here. 

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, repairman54 said:

Zero issues with my '23 6.2 LTZ with 22k miles on it. Lots of towing miles also. 

On these forums you mostly see folks with issues complaining about their vehicles. Very few that have zero issues with theirs. I'm a motorhead so that's why I'm here. 

"Some suffer from insanity; I choose to enjoy it''

I like that 😉 

11 hours ago, JohnQPublic said:

Well, I just purchased yesterday. I just found this forum today. And let me just say, after reading a few posts, I think I should have found this forum first before I bought. You guys have me scared to death. I was in the market for a new truck and was looking at the Toyota Tundra. But after hearing all the problems they were having with engine failures and recalls, I decided to look elsewhere. I found a 2024 Silverado High Country for $62k and thought that was a good deal. I couldn't get a similarly equipped Ford for under $70k. So I spent most of the day in the dealer yesterday and worked out a deal for the truck. I was pretty happy with it all the way home and most of today. But now I come here and see that the 6.2 liter engines are having a bunch of failures. And of course the one I bought has the 6.2 engine in it. So what should I be on the lookout for? I have seen a few posts about lifters and them ticking, but I have no idea what this means. Also, I am seeing suggestions of making sure the oil is changed on a regular basis. Is there anything else I need to be aware of? Should I try to return this vehicle to the dealer? I'm at about 150 miles right now, I won't be driving it that much as my job is sending me a brand new truck next week. ( That's a silverado too, lol.) But I still don't want to be stuck with a lemon. I definitely don't want to be far from home and have some catastrophic engine failure. I'm feeling a little bummed now after finding these forums. Any help or suggestions are greatly appreciated. TIA. 

Don't trouble trouble until trouble troubles you. Use it, take care of it and "It can, or it can't; it will, or it won't."

Make wise fluid, maintenance and operational choices and let the warranty take care of the rest. Makes it to warranty end it stands a good chance of not being one of the percentages of failed blocks and bearings. IMHO.  

You wouldn't buy anything if you came to a forum and read up on any product you want to buy as people come to forums to post problems and I am a total believer people come here to bash the brand and just about all are 1st posters only to be never heard from again iam not saying that they all don't. Think about it I could join a Ford or any brand forum and post major problems just to create panic and not even own that brand. Don't worry about it and just take care of it. 

• Like 2

I had a '19 LTZ 6.2 and sold it with 25k miles.  No issues.  Bought a 2020 AT4 6.2 and sold with close to 33k miles and no issues other than a bad ignition lock switch covered under warranty.  Currently in a 2024 LTZ 6.2 and other than rattling rear headrests (c'mon GM (said in a weak, raspy Biden voice)), no issues.  If you rely on forums only, you'll never buy anything except a 2015 Tacoma with 220k miles.  

1 minute ago, Silverado4x4 said:

You wouldn't buy anything if you came to a forum and read up on any product you want to buy as people come to forums to post problems and I am a total believer people come here to bash the brand and just about all are 1st posters only to be never heard from again iam not saying that they all don't. Think about it I could join a Ford or any brand forum and post major problems just to create panic and not even own that brand. Don't worry about it and just take care of it. 

Well that’s probably true. Don’t go on the net and ask about GMs problems after you buy. Or consumer reports. Just hope you’re a lucky buyer. The problems do exist. It’s the frequency that makes the difference.

On 6/27/2024 at 8:22 PM, JohnQPublic said:

Welcome to the forum. $62,000 for a 24 High Country sounds like one hell of a deal! I've had a 21 and currently drive a 23 Trail Boss. No problems. I love these trucks. Like others have said, drive it, enjoy it, change the oil regularly. You will be happy when others admire your truck.

• 2 months later...