2500HD OR 1500

2500HD OR 1500  

10 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

2500 or 1500…. I currently have a 1500 6.2l but find myself wanting (not necessarily needing) a 2500HD diesel. Heaviest thing I’ll tow is a wake boat a couple times a year. 

Edited by aha1987

How much are you wanting to spend?

Do you care about fuel mileage or that fixing stuff on a 2500 truck costs way more when stuff does need repairs?

Half tons can tow just about anything for most people, just heavier weights over 9,000lbs in my opinion get sketchy and a 2500 is way more stable.

I agree with Cam. Are you looking at a diesel? The 3.0l diesel is far more forgiving than the 6.6l diesel is for driving empty for issues with the emissions systems.

The one big advantage of the 2500/3500 trucks is they are designed to operate at or near max load all the time and 1500s are not. If you were towing above 8000 or 9000 lbs then a 2500 would be a better choice, the brakes are much better on the 2500/3500 for stopping a load if the trailer brakes fail.

I agree with Cameron, I had a 2004.5 2500HD with the lly Duramax motor as I used to pull boats some were from 18 to 36ft but after I stopped pulling boats I couldn't justify keeping it just to pull a 18ft boat and a utility trailer so I went back to a 1500. You say it's not necessary to have one then keep your 1500. 2500 trucks get about 12mpg unloaded with the gas motor. 

My 2015 5.3l half ton got exactly the same mileage as my 2018 L5P 1 ton.

Empty OR Loaded

The half ton was FAR more comfortable. The 1 ton is FAR more capable.

So far the operating costs are essentially the same, except having to buy DEF.

I value the capability more...

Do you know roughly how heavy the boat and trailer are you have now?  

Split the difference, max tow 3.0 diesel, IF you can find one.  

Your regular driving MPG would go up a fair bit over both a 6.2 and an HD Duramax.  Towing, everything gets 10-12mpg pretty much.  

Now, if you've got plans for a bigger boat, camper trailer, or any increase in towing, I'd steer towards HD for sure because brakes, payload, axles, engine, its all much stronger.  

Edited by newdude

I drive a Z-66 avalanche with the towing package. Last week I drove my brothers FX4 diesel Ford. Its bed was loaded with a toolbox full, a 50 gallon fuel tank full, an air compressor, a couple of coolers spare parts etc. I’ve owned 3/4 tons for pulling, nice ones. My brothers is fully loaded and very nice. It was rough enough that it tired me out after 4 hours. I was glad to finish my drive home in my avalanche. The avalanche is rough for a half ton. In conclusion I wouldn’t buy more truck than I need if it was used as a daily driver.

It's dumb to have an HD if you aren't towing at least 7k lbs on a somewhat regular basis.  HDs have higher operating costs, take up more space, and waste more of everything...so you really need a good reason to own one.

1500 with a 3.0.

Don't need max tow for the job you are describing. 

TC10543 is 2wd crewcab shortbox

TK10543 is 4wd of same

image.thumb.png.99bc1d05b7d9701f5f3a4d1312e95119.png

It's not wise to place yourself into the DEF/DPF modern diesel emissions nightmare just because. Also nobody has mentioned that the HDs ride like covered wagons. My wife can barely get a sip out of a cup without wearing it on a smooth road and I'm on 37s with 18s (lots of sidewall) at only 45psi. 3,500+lb payloads have savagely stiff springs that sailboat fuel can't compress. Shocks are practically worthless empty (I have driven with only 3 with no change).

Sound exaggerated? Good. Because people justifying their purchase from the other point of view will tell you how it rides great and blah blah. It scientifically can't. Again, torsion bars and 3,500+ payload leafs don't compress willy nilly.

Cheers.

just keep your 1500, you answered your own question right from the get go

its an ego thing.....

humans complicate their life and justify why, its normal