Auto A/C Turning Off

TLDR: The auto A/C in my new truck is turning off on its own within a minute of the truck starting up. GM says this is the way its supposed to be.  Is it?

I purchased a 2023 GMC Sierra 4x4 Elevation in July 2023 to replace my 2014 GMC Sierra 4x4 SLE.  At the time of purchase, auto would shut off automatically within a minute of me starting the truck. It does not do it every time, but when the A/C is on high and the truck is really hot. I live in Florida, so it happens more often than not. This was not an issue in my 2014. The auto A/C would stay on until interior temps were reached. 

I took it to the dealership three times. Each time they replaced a different part supposedly to fix the issue. Their fixes did not fix the problem. Then they called the GM Techs come to look at the problem. The GM Techs then said they were aware of the problem and working on a fix, that the issue arose in trucks after a certain software update, and they would not come out because they were working on a fix for it.

I waited several months, and I followed up with the dealership to see if they had come up with a solution. I was told that in January 2024, an update had come out to address "the unwanted turning down of auto a/c" that would fix the problem. It did not, so they opened up a case number with GM, and I had to bring my truck in again. GM ran a test and said it is now designed for this truck that the auto a/c to turn off so a driver can "talk" to the car, but it is not designed to come back on. I was told that all vehicles are now functioning this way and they would no longer work on the auto a/c in my truck and to not bring it in anymore. 

Skip forward 2 months, I have a bad fuel injector so I took my truck in for service.  The part is on backorder so my truck is at the dealership for who knows how long, and they had to give me a loaner truck (2024 GMC Sierra 4x4 Elevation).  The auto a/c does not turn off automatically in this truck. It works how an auto a/c is supposed to work. My wife also has a 2016 GMC Acadia, and her auto a/c does not turn off like this. 

So my question is does your auto a/c turn off within a minute of startup, or does it stay on until the internal temp is reached? I do not accept that this is how its is supposed to be. 

Edited by alexbrgr

Any voice commands, listening to a text or taking a phone call will turn off the a/c blower. Maybe there is something in that "feature" that's turning off the a/c in your truck thinking there is voice being used. Just a guess as mine does that anytime I'm using voice commands, etc. 

Thanks for responding. I think that they originally did think it is the voice command feature that is interfering, but it turns down even when I'm not using that feature, and they couldn't find a fix. Now they are saying its intentional, and all trucks are doing it because that is what it is supposed to do (even though I am not using the voice command feature, and it does not automatically turn back on, as it should when using that feature).

So what I need help with is for people to comment if their trucks auto a/c is turning off by itself within a minute after starting, or comment that it is not turning off on its own at all.

Edited by alexbrgr

@Mikedfw Thanks for your response. Yes, sounds like you have the same issue. It is annoying, and I wouldn't be so bugged if they weren't trying to tell me its how all the trucks are designed to work and are functioning properly if this happens.  Its obviously not happening in every truck, when the loaner truck I have is NOT doing it, and why I'm trying to get people to respond if this isn't happening in their truck. 

I am aware of this other thread about this issue from last year. And according to the people on this thread, the problem did not start until there was a software update last June. 

On 6/23/2024 at 9:08 AM, alexbrgr said:

TLDR: The auto A/C in my new truck is turning off on its own within a minute of the truck starting up. GM says this is the way its supposed to be.  Is it?

So my question is does your auto a/c turn off within a minute of startup, or does it stay on until the internal temp is reached? I do not accept that this is how its is supposed to be. 

Tell them to pull up 24-NA-100 Radio Software Version Y172.  Covers 2023 and 2024 1500/2500/3500.  One of the things it addresses is "HVAC: The blower speed turns down at startup by itself."

It's the Alexa app.

Go into settings, Apps & preferences. Find Alexa and click on it. Hit the disable button.

GM bulletin #PIT6032.

Disabling Alexa is the solution in the first release of that bulletin. 

The subsequent versions of the bulletin don't mention disabling Alexa. Makes me wonder if they got in trouble with Amazon.

Did it on mine. It's not a 100% fix, but the frequency of it happening is much, much lower.