spark plug change on 2016 6.0 vortec 2500HD

I have a 2016 2500HD work truck, was thinking of changing the spark plugs myself. I keep reading about people needing to remove a wheel and go in through the fender instead of just going under the hood for some reason? I don't have my jack or air compressor available at the moment so I don't want to start the project if i need to remove a wheel to do the spark plugs. But honestly, just looking under the hood - I don't understand why you would need to remove a wheel to change the spark plugs? What am I missing? Maybe the comments I read were talking about a different generation of truck?

• 2 months later...

I just completed the spark plug change on my '15 suburban.  I did it through the wheel well based on info I read and it was much easier than leaning over the engine and trying to do it.  There are quite a few lines in the way from above as well as heat shield stuff.  The 8th plug was still a pain because of the passenger footwell but the others were straight forward and easy to access.  

Took about 40 minutes once the tires were off.

49 minutes ago, mikemcclain8 said:

I just completed the spark plug change on my '15 suburban.  I did it through the wheel well based on info I read and it was much easier than leaning over the engine and trying to do it.  There are quite a few lines in the way from above as well as heat shield stuff.  The 8th plug was still a pain because of the passenger footwell but the others were straight forward and easy to access.  

Exactly.  Plus these engines sit lower in the frame than the older stuff.  

3 hours ago, mikemcclain8 said:

Yeah, that #8 plug is hard especially on our Suburban because of the AC lines run right there.