Left key in ignition overnight and now this...

I couldn't find this anywhere in the forum, pardon if I missed it. I drive a 2016 Sierra Denali 1500 and I left my key in the ignition overnight. It was NOT in 'on' or 'acc', just left inserted into the ignition. I shut the truck off in the garage after getting home and got distracted by my kids, forgetting the key was still in. Next morning all it did was click when I turned the key, all lights still worked. Figured leaving it in all night killed the battery so I tried a jump (no go) then charged it with a battery charger. Even with a fully charged battery it still didn't start. Figured since the battery is 5 years old now I may have killed it off, so I bought a new battery and installed it...only to still have no start.

I'm not getting any codes, so this one has left me scratching my head. Is there a security feature I'm not aware of? Could the starter have gone from trying to start it up so many times? Keep in mind I have not had any starting or battery issues. This only happened after leaving the key inserted in the ignition overnight. I also haven't installed any new lights, electronics, etc.

Edited by midwestdenaliguy

Could be the starter.  VERY common on 14-19 trucks.  We had 2 trucks that came in fine, pulled them up to do a state inspection and that was it.  Starters failed wouldn't start to do the OBD portion of the test.  

• Like 3

Posted (edited)
10 minutes ago, newdude said:

Could be the starter.  VERY common on 14-19 trucks.  We had 2 trucks that came in fine, pulled them up to do a state inspection and that was it.  Starters failed wouldn't start to do the OBD portion of the test.  

Appreciate the reply. So you think it fried from all the start attempts with the dead battery (thinking it was charged)? I'm getting a single click when I turn the key, would that still happen with a bad starter?

Also, they can go that quick? Work one minute then dead the next with no sign?

Edited by midwestdenaliguy

One thing you can try is 'tap' the starter a couple times. If the Bendix/solenoid is stuck, you will get a "click". Another common issue with or trucks is a bad ground. You can try using the negative cable of the jumpers and connect the mounting flange of the starter to the battery negative side & see if it will start.

just a couple simples checks to try 1st.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, midwestdenaliguy said:

Appreciate the reply. So you think it fried from all the start attempts with the dead battery (thinking it was charged)? I'm getting a single click when I turn the key, would that still happen with a bad starter?

Also, they can go that quick? Work one minute then dead the next with no sign?

I don't necessarily think the battery being dead fried it, given how many starters we see go bad on this gen truck.  Its more the latter, they work one minute and just poof its dead.  

Also rav3 is on a good point too, the battery cables are another known weak point on this generation truck.  

Edited by newdude
  • Like 3

I had my starter go bad on my 2016 earlier this year. It gave absolutely no warning. I drove to drop my son back off at the ex's. When I came back out, nothing, no start. 

Battery not that old so I knew that wasn't the issue. Tow truck tried jumping it first and then towed it to dealership. New starter installed and all was good again...

Edited by mikeyk101
  • Like 2

It’s not just GM my wife’s Genesis did the same after 10 years of in town driving. Not like the old days when you have a direct link to the starter. You could usually tell when your starter was going bad. Now you ask the computer to start your car. If everything is cool it starts. There wasn’t any warning it just didn’t start. Same with the battery.

• Like 3

Thanks everyone, all great input. Since my truck is 8 years old with 193k miles I'm fine just replacing the original starter at this point - it lived a long life. A new one is only $150 from my local dealership.

• Like 2