31 minutes ago, VicFirth said:

I am running Amsoil Signature Series 5w30 now.  I think it's one of the best on the market.  

G-2880_SignatureSeriesOil.pdf (amsoilcontent.com)

Analyze it with a good lab and confirm /realize it’s as good as they claim. Very balanced formulations one can afford to market to retail. 

Edited by customboss
  • Like 2

46 minutes ago, Grumpy Bear said:

Too bad a motor can't read and be impressed with marketing claims. 

sequence-iiih-test.pdf (swri.org) 

Lab tests. Fleet test. Blah, blah blah. 

Pull a motor down in your fleet when you scrap it and tell me what you SEE. How many ever miles that may be. 

What I saw and keep seeing, keeps me using what I use and find better than what I see isn't even possible. Seeing what others used and the results they got keeps me from using that as well.

Let's test against oils they exclude as NOT commercially available. Those you don't see on the shelf and have to order. CONTEXT matters. Remove the winners and you can look pretty darn good.  

It would be great to see the niche brands like Torco and others tested against the iiih test and compared.  

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, VicFirth said:

It would be great to see the niche brands like Torco and others tested against the iiih test and compared.  

But it made it to 280K Miles!! Proof shelf oils work just fine on OEM OLM's

NOT

I don't drive a test. I drive vehicles till they croak then open them like a can of tuna. I see what I see. I measure what I measure. Three generations in this family have been doing this. It's where I learned it. 

Remember the million mile Mobil 1 commercials. Run day and night on a roof to a million then opened up. Tell me who drives like that? Name one...just one. 

This is the rocker box of a 1.2 Mitsubishi 3A92. Looks just as clean as Pepper.

This one on Klondike 0W20 FS. Wait for it... 280K miles on this motor. Fleet service. 

image.thumb.png.11367cc8d05a7866b8f0d0dd3557065e.png

This is the piston from that motor. Rings done. Skirt scuffed. Wristpin beaten out of it. 

image.png.e0ae16e8ca5b12d2154cf6c4ca72f488.png     image.png.2f8fbf1b7d29827c71df8d48e2f2602b.png

Do you see the disconnect? 

Edited by Grumpy Bear

Give it some thought

image.png.502786d05be5ee1b6eb4249ec07ad80a.png

You just saw a motor (my post above) with failed pistons/rings at nearly twice this milage on standard OEM OCI's look as good as the photo on the left while being the photo on the right. That is; a conventional motor oil. The photo on the right is multiples of the OEM OCI. What does this tell you about choosing an OCI for the chemistry? Chemistry includes the base oil selection. 

Anyone ever seen PUBLISHED the pistons from these motors? What might that have to say about the oil?  

• Like 4

14 hours ago, Grumpy Bear said:

But it made it to 280K Miles!! Proof shelf oils work just fine on OEM OLM's

NOT

I don't drive a test. I drive vehicles till they croak then open them like a can of tuna. I see what I see. I measure what I measure. Three generations in this family have been doing this. It's where I learned it. 

Remember the million mile Mobil 1 commercials. Run day and night on a roof to a million then opened up. Tell me who drives like that? Name one...just one. 

This is the rocker box of a 1.2 Mitsubishi 3A92. Looks just as clean as Pepper.

This one on Klondike 0W20 FS. Wait for it... 280K miles on this motor. Fleet service. 

image.thumb.png.11367cc8d05a7866b8f0d0dd3557065e.png

This is the piston from that motor. Rings done. Skirt scuffed. Wristpin beaten out of it. 

image.png.e0ae16e8ca5b12d2154cf6c4ca72f488.png     image.png.2f8fbf1b7d29827c71df8d48e2f2602b.png

Do you see the disconnect? 

I see lack of crankcase vent flow with the underside of pistons looking like a coal burning 🥵 boiler on an old USN cruiser from 1910! 

Example: 

Oil and oil maintenance is a CONCERT not a Solo recital and NO ONE is as good as they think they are or market themselves to be. But the right conductor (you) can make some pretty sweet music with good choices of not just the oil but the OCI and general motor maintenance regiment. 

Same 3A92 fleet, different motor. Mobil 1 early on with OEM OCI's

Klondike 0W20 FS on shorter OCI's later in its life. So, a little better than motor #1.

Piston slap took this one out of service. Note the much cleaner rings? 

Fewer piston deposits. Wrist pins tight, bearings looked okay. Just a little bit better care makes a difference. 

Still scuffed the piston and bore. Full SAPS FS 0W20 in a motor that doesn't have much power density. 

Of course, the argument will be, "Lord man, how far do you want it to go?" 

FOREVER. 

image.png.3d09f3f11b791dd8c97dc6fcfa84b322.png

Kids, I've seen pistons cleaner than this without scuffing in motors of twice this mileage on 1960's Conventional Group II full SAPS oils but the OCI was 1K miles long. 1.5K in a pinch. 

People get into trouble when they believe the marketing hype. Submit to stupid OEM requirements. Held hostage to a warranty they will not honor. 

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Grumpy Bear said:

1960's Conventional Group II full SAPS oils

You mean Group 1 , there were no group II oils as we know them now. There were Group III that were used for aircraft engines. 

I'm seeing more reviews of Valvoline Restore & Protect clean extremely well.  I'm curious if the chemistry they're using makes it into other grades.  If this oil does what it is supposed to do, it will be a fantastic off the shelf option that in theory could keep your pistons OEM clean over a reasonable interval. 

• Like 4

Be wary of BS marketing but if we get proof then go for it. The base oil

majority we’ll be lucky if it’s GRP III. The synthesized napthalene form has me wondering what chemistry it is cooked up in their Indian  lab.  Probably wild dog parts. 

Edited by customboss
  • Haha 1

52 minutes ago, VicFirth said:

I'm seeing more reviews of Valvoline Restore & Protect clean extremely well.  I'm curious if the chemistry they're using makes it into other grades.  If this oil does what it is supposed to do, it will be a fantastic off the shelf option that in theory could keep your pistons OEM clean over a reasonable interval. 

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, VicFirth said:

I vote you to guinea pig this product for say 250K and a teardown in a new truck :) Acetone is a good cleaner, but not a good protector. 

It has real potential. Just needs a delivery. I'm getting too old, read not enough time left, to do many more of these. 

• Like 1