On 9/12/2024 at 11:46 AM, Grumpy Bear said:

I re-read this article and see I missed the boat. 

Mobil Synergy Premium and Shell V Power NITRO+. Not many stations carry these fuels and the charge about a $1.50+ a gallon premium above their 'Normal" Premium fuel. Like a cancer treatment you know you would benefit from and yet can't afford. 

I'm always digging and learning

Shell Launches New and Improved V-Power® NiTRO+ Premium Gasoline at New York City Event (theautochannel.com)

Seems ALL Shell V Power Premium is Nitro+ but the ones that have the newer pump graphics are gouging on the ignorance of the consumer (ME :mad:) that there was a difference. There is not. ALL 13,000 US stations have this add pack in their premium regardless of the pump's graphics

Edited by Grumpy Bear
  • Sad 1

5 minutes ago, TheRiver said:

Back in my diesel driving days;  I used to add 2 stroke oil to the diesel fuel I put into my truck.  1/2oz per 1 gallon of diesel.  So usually just under 16oz per fill up.

That would kill your aftertreatment now on US diesels. JCB and Fendt British and German-Argentina sourced engines. JCB ENGINES don’t even have EGR at the lower HP ratings and only DEF on higher HP. Fendt has no EGR. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, customboss said:

That would kill your aftertreatment now on US diesels. JCB and Fendt British and German-Argentina sourced engines. JCB ENGINES don’t even have EGR at the lower HP ratings and only DEF on higher HP. Fendt has no EGR. 

That was right after ULSD came out.  Added to prevent lift pump, injectors, and/or VP44/CP3 injection pump wear.  My '04.5 Dodge/Cummins didn't mind at all even with the kitty left in place.

• Like 2

Can't seem to pin down Mobil Premium Synergy+ v Mobil Premium Synergy. :mad: 

Did notice that Shell states 6X cleaning AND 100% removal of power cylinder deposits while Exxon/Mobil 3X cleaning with no claim of removal. Both claim a 30% friction/wear reduction of top ring and bore. 

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Grumpy Bear said:

Can't seem to pin down Mobil Premium Synergy+ v Mobil Premium Synergy. :mad: 

Did notice that Shell states 6X cleaning AND 100% removal of power cylinder deposits while Exxon/Mobil 3X cleaning with no claim of removal. Both claim a 30% friction/wear reduction of top ring and bore. 

My question is, how do we know this is actually happening. I talked to a tanker truck at a BP station and he said he delivers the same load to several stations and not all are BP. Makes one wonder when the truck tanker driver that picks it up at the fuel yard states this.

On 9/15/2024 at 6:59 AM, Grumpy Bear said:

I'm always digging and learning

Shell Launches New and Improved V-Power® NiTRO+ Premium Gasoline at New York City Event (theautochannel.com)

Seems ALL Shell V Power Premium is Nitro+ but the ones that have the newer pump graphics are gouging on the ignorance of the consumer (ME :mad:) that there was a difference. There is not. ALL 13,000 US stations have this add pack in their premium regardless of the pump's graphics

I have a THEORY of going back to the future for Nitro+.   

Shell/Equilon is making gasoline in smaller batches for Vpower Nitro+. The product is hauled in separate fuel tankers.  Its NOT using normal polymeric additives everyone including Exxon is.  

I believe its using all pyrolysis gasoline and additives like cyclohexanone instead of just the larger volume of  styrene octane boosters with only 5% ETOH. 

I cannot find a 2023-2024 SDS from Equilon who in US is DBA Shell USA.  

From web AI

"Please note that the SDS for VPOWER NITRO+ is not publicly available, and the information provided above is based on general knowledge about gasoline products. For specific information on the SDS, you should contact Equilon Enterprises LLC, dba Shell Oil Products US, or consult with a qualified professional." 

Since they are not sharing it publicly we can assume the SDS discloses exactly what I am guessing about. 

Basically Shell / Equilon is selling what they  call Shell Vpower in Europe to us USA folks as something new and special. It is unless you were alive and studying fuels chemistry 50 years ago. 

I could be wrong.....

• Like 2

I don't know who would ever run a conventional oil 10,000 miles between changes, but they did for this test. Which only proves that when using a conventional you MUST use a shorter change. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, VicFirth said:

Did you note the comment on the ester used in his home brew? NOT the ones used in PCMO. A bit misleading to show a result on a chemistry meant for another application. 

Rewatched the fuels video as well. Picking the nits out of the visual aids of both. Some things mentioned on the TORCO site now make sense. I love a good class. 

• Like 3

3 hours ago, customboss said:

This is why proactive base oils that don’t use petrochemical feedstocks have a hard time getting to YOU THE Consumers. API jacked NOVVI and EVOLVE in this situation. 
https://jobbersworld.com/2024/09/23/the-challenges-of-bringing-innovation-to-pcmo/

Need to Know - Lubes'N'Greases (lubesngreases.com)

The link in that article was mind blowing. 😉 

Webster defines 'good' as highly desirable. So, in the usual progression of Good, Better, Best in the English language takes a beating......once again and marking puts so much mud in the water we no longer know how deep the stream is. Word salad doesn't make the meal more desirable. It makes it garbage. 

IF the line of demarcation between a Group III and a Group IV is the consistency of molecular structure then NOVVI (Evolve) is indeed a Group IV. The unfortunate circumstances of that inhibiting it as a DEXOS1 base oil exchange is appalling and infringing on criminal. Frankly, it seems, in some cases, more suited to be called a Group V, based on aniline point, a classification AN's, benzene derivatives, do NOT belong in. Such an inclusion turns an elite field into the city dump. Yea, even if few notice. 

Evolves Ace in the hole, according to the article, is shear stability. So.....another Newtonian fluid just like HPL No-VII blends. Except they use a VM VII. :dunno: They also don't answer honest hearted inquires. :mad: It isn't just the API getting in their way. Some of us, (ME) use unlicensed oils all the time base on the SCIENCE and not the bureaucracy. 

Don't worry. We are going elect-RICK. :crackup:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1