3 hours ago, VicFirth said:

That is very true.  Someone emailed them and the 5w30 R&P had a HT/HS of 3.26.  Not bad for a EC grade.  Not 3.5 though either lol. 

Okay, ask and tells us what the what-what is. That is a pretty good number on the original. Then on the VOA your going to run for your base line have the KF run :)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Something I've learned using my own equipment as the test mule is by the time you know something isn't going to work it's caused more damage than you can recover from. And you learn little, short term, even with labs. They won't predict how clean it will keep it or how well it will stand up to some unforeseen abuse. My take? Hope it's a .22 and prepare for the 105 MM. 

• Like 1

Background

"2012 Cruze Eco 1.4L Turbo. This car has seen nothing but AMSOIL Signature Series 5W-30 since 2013, and has been tuned since as well, first with Trifecta then with BNR, making about 50hp and 70lb-ft more power *to the wheels.* Starting in about 2015, the car was used to tow my 14' boat as well as my utility trailer and various uhaul trailers. Since I started working from home full time in 2015, most of the driving was short trips, wide open throttle to redline daily.
At 72k miles, I pulled the cams to upgrade valve springs. The oil in service at the time of this disassembly had 12,500 miles and 2 years on it, about 1/4 of which was with a trailer behind it and the rest of it hitting max boost daily. I stopped caring about fuel economy once I stopped commuting. The oil change prior to that went 15,622 miles and 18 months, and all oil changes before that were at 10,000-15,000 miles (dealer drained it a couple times to service the oil pan and PCV system or they'd all have been 15k miles)."

image.thumb.png.b399534f8d00ee196fb31b6267c80b94.png

image.thumb.png.9c18078e03a7e0d1bab70654f1a702f1.pngimage.thumb.png.4deaac3e37ff759653752c7b0ee83bd1.png

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I don't know more about this engine other that what was said in the video - Amsoil XL every 8k-10k.  (Not Signature Series).

Just anecdotal but all the oils that are known not to use a good amount of group V tend to leave engines clean but with a light varnish.  Does the engine in the video below look varnished up to you?  It does to me. 

10 hours ago, Grumpy Bear said:

Thanks for sharing this and interesting he finally grasped this fact. Radioactive wear testing is something we did consistently with lubricants for years! Nothing new! 

• Thanks 1

13 hours ago, VicFirth said:

I don't know more about this engine other that what was said in the video - Amsoil XL every 8k-10k.  (Not Signature Series).

Just anecdotal but all the oils that are known not to use a good amount of group V tend to leave engines clean but with a light varnish.  Does the engine in the video below look varnished up to you?  It does to me. 

Normal activated additive but no deposits. XL did great and it’s very clean for a fleet vehicle. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 8/30/2024 at 12:17 PM, customboss said:

I re-read this article and see I missed the boat. 

Mobil Synergy Premium and Shell V Power NITRO+. Not many stations carry these fuels and the charge about a $1.50+ a gallon premium above their 'Normal" Premium fuel. Like a cancer treatment you know you would benefit from and yet can't afford. 

Edited by Grumpy Bear
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Grumpy Bear said:

I re-read this article and see I missed the boat. 

Mobil Synergy Premium and Shell V Power NITRO+. Not many stations carry these fuels and the charge about a $1.50+ a gallon premium above their 'Normal" Premium fuel. Like a cancer treatment you know you would benefit from and yet can't afford. 

Use 15-30% ETOH and get same benefit! 

• Thanks 1