Pretty impressed it's cleaning that top part, which doesn't come in too much contact with oil.  That was very hard, carbon deposit buildup.  

"Update on the 2009 Nissan Versa with over 240k miles (oil changed at 240,831 and now 242275) that's gotten a steady diet of the cheapest quick lube stuff.

Oil level showed a loss of about 3/4 qt from full in about 1444 miles from oil change. Not sure if there's a leak or it's a burner. Probably both. I ended topping off with the half ish+ qt that was left and got it close to f marker.

I noticed the fill hole sludge/varnish was really flaky/bubbly. I've tried rubbing my finger on it before and it felt crusty and hard. Would come off before. Today, I was easily able to rub it off with my finger. Pictures are of before I did anything and after I rubbed it with my finger. There's still some that wouldn't come off. I'm positive the oil has worked on softening this stuff up over time.

The dip stick that was varnished seems to vet cleaner each time I check on my brother's car."

image.thumb.png.4b7651165c3f8bc1d58fab99c56fbadb.png

• Like 1

4 hours ago, VicFirth said:

On the Russian Oil Club site, their UOA results generally show TBN, TAN and pH.  

Here are two where you can see Red Line goes acidic.  It's said due to the high POE.  

image.thumb.png.68d661dec0f93f5d6f09c7daaf4e17cd.png

image.thumb.png.94398aab8825399ecea82ecd4842445c.png

Screw the Putinites 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, VicFirth said:

Pretty impressed it's cleaning that top part, which doesn't come in too much contact with oil.  That was very hard, carbon deposit buildup.  

"Update on the 2009 Nissan Versa with over 240k miles (oil changed at 240,831 and now 242275) that's gotten a steady diet of the cheapest quick lube stuff.

Oil level showed a loss of about 3/4 qt from full in about 1444 miles from oil change. Not sure if there's a leak or it's a burner. Probably both. I ended topping off with the half ish+ qt that was left and got it close to f marker.

I noticed the fill hole sludge/varnish was really flaky/bubbly. I've tried rubbing my finger on it before and it felt crusty and hard. Would come off before. Today, I was easily able to rub it off with my finger. Pictures are of before I did anything and after I rubbed it with my finger. There's still some that wouldn't come off. I'm positive the oil has worked on softening this stuff up over time.

The dip stick that was varnished seems to vet cleaner each time I check on my brother's car."

image.thumb.png.4b7651165c3f8bc1d58fab99c56fbadb.png

What is this cleaner being used? 

On 9/6/2024 at 11:44 AM, customboss said:

I have good reason to believe AMSOIL is using OSP in its formulations to get that solvency, all of them, low dose but effective. 

Do you think the Valvoline Restore & Protect is using OSP? 

My guess is not simply because OSP is nothing new. 

Dr. Michael Warholic - works at Valvoline R&D. Was a research scientist at Infineum and Dow Chemical previously.

"I had never seen anything like it before, and I have eight years at Valvoline and 16 years at a company that makes the additives used in oil formulation.”

Edited by VicFirth

3 hours ago, VicFirth said:

Do you think the Valvoline Restore & Protect is using OSP? 

My guess is not simply because OSP is nothing new. 

Dr. Michael Warholic - works at Valvoline R&D. Was a research scientist at Infineum and Dow Chemical previously.

"I had never seen anything like it before, and I have eight years at Valvoline and 16 years at a company that makes the additives used in oil formulation.”

Absolutely possible. 

• Thanks 1

I've been running Amsoil SS last 15k miles or so.

I noticed Valvoline is going to release a 10w30 R&P grade.  Viscosity index is only 149.  I'm guessing this oil has little VII.  Contemplating on moving to this vs the Amsoil SS.

image.thumb.png.65b11915784fb389a25d2209f221a9b3.png

• Like 1

I noticed Valvoline is going to release a 10w30 R&P grade.  Viscosity index is only 149.  I'm guessing this oil has little VII.  Contemplating on moving to this vs the Amsoil SS.

Ever notice that 'Energy Conserving" ILSAC GR-6A oils never publish the HTHS numbers? 😉

The guess is contains less VII is a good guess. 

• Like 1

19 hours ago, customboss said:

I never worked with him. The VP of technology has a lot of my IP blowing  through his ripoff head. 

That is really sad. I understand the feeling. I was once called by Eastman Engineering Department head that I was "The best Engineer he never had to pay."  Mustangs get zero respect. 

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, Grumpy Bear said:

Ever notice that 'Energy Conserving" ILSAC GR-6A oils never publish the HTHS numbers? 😉

The guess is contains less VII is a good guess. 

That is very true.  Someone emailed them and the 5w30 R&P had a HT/HS of 3.26.  Not bad for a EC grade.  Not 3.5 though either lol. 

Get a KF of any of those and find out if it has OSP. 

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, PunchT37 said:

Since we’ve come this far, what if one kicks up the base to a 10w30? I’m thinking about it. I’m in Louisiana. Don’t see a problem even in our “winters”.

See my tests with 10w30 Chevron no ZDDP stuff with the 2.7 turbo 4 -2 popper 

• Like 1