On 8/22/2024 at 2:15 PM, customboss said:

Super solvency while being lubricious. Love writing that. USA made in Griggy Ohio. Super high VI naturally. 

IMG_8623.thumb.jpeg.ee1b5531d51328fa4dd53f78165f5e87.jpeg

What this stuff looked like in 2007.  Note this lab was hit and miss and I had to stay on them like fly on stuff to get good repeatable data.  @VicFirth check out the clean ambient oxidation   PCMO never had copper sulfonate.  

Fuel dilution  reading is aromatics that will cook out ASAP.  Solvency, yes.  Antimony YES.  

They make a HD Low Ash 5w30 too that many of my former HD diesel customers liked ALOT.  I helped create a 5w20 HD Low Ash for Federal fleets to run in diesels and gasoline engines to stock less oil. 

Screenshot2024-08-2414_23_36.thumb.png.55bcb0eb76862aaa7a562a0a5bf07dbe.png

• Like 2

How a motor oil was formulated 17 years ago may not be the same today. Just like oil filters with the same part number have changed from 5-10 years ago to today--I have seen the AC Delcos and the Wix change 3 times; and not for the better. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, MaverickZ71 said:

How a motor oil was formulated 17 years ago may not be the same today. Just like oil filters with the same part number have changed from 5-10 years ago to today--I have seen the AC Delcos and the Wix change 3 times; and not for the better. 

It’s been updated. Just sharing how we started with it. 

• Like 1

On 8/2/2024 at 4:01 AM, Grumpy Bear said:

What's my point? 

It is BS but not for the reasons you may think. 😉 

My grandfather immigrated from Prussia at the turn of the last century. A hog farmer. Son of a hog farmer and grandson of a hog farmer. When he got here, he sharecropped until he had enough to start his own operation. Later a farm. 

His hog of choice was the Duroc. Not grain feed. Timber grazed and finished. Wooded land was cheaper, and this type of feeding gives the pork a very good flavor. He butchered, cured, smoked and salted right on the farm and people liked it. Family got the cream. What is called a "Packer Sow". One that has had at least two liters then feed up to 400 lbs. Slaughtered and butchered and finished this is one tasty piece of pig. Taste is the reason he raised, feed and cared for the breed. When company would come and find what Henry was serving up the clamored for it and he obliged many. Enough that he was a pretty wealth guy by 1929 and then history happened. 

Lost the operation and it never recovered. Competition from the Chester White and Yorkshires which had big liters of healthy fast gaining pigs feed corn and caged made money. Lot's of money; and an entire science formed around the industry. University studies and research dollars poured in and Chester became King of the money hogs. The science was/is solid but the product stinks. 

Thing is....it, on its own, is like eating a boot. Tasteless. Taste is the reason I eat pork so I seek it out. Berkshires are right there with them and a bit easier to find. 

What's my point? 

Lubrication is no longer about the goal it started out with. Wear control. The science of new oils is solid. But only in reaching the new goals which have nothing to do with wear control. New goals are waste reduction, emissions reductions. Fuel use reduction. Government mandated and OEMs' find to extinction for noncompliance. they also like to sell new vehicles. It is there business. Universities and private research science is solid but does not produce the goals I lean in on. 

The BS is in the LIES told promoting the new direction. You can make any point of science look good if you remove the CONTEXT. 

Esters and damned by the industry as being expensive, reversable in chemistry, water loving timebombs that will eat the seals out of your motor and kill the oil film. They compete with additives and yada, yada, yada....

Is it true? Absolutely. It just isn't the ESTER being used in the oils being damned. 🤨 A Trumpian move. 

One example of many. 

Look. I'm going to continue to believe my lying eyes. You do as you like. Believe whomever 'tickles your ears'. 

That food is forbidden in our culture....

• Like 1

7 hours ago, VicFirth said:

BioSyn is interesting.  I did notice the Noack is quite high though.

image.thumb.png.4b93e5f9602892c240f5b75d5cfe71ad.png

Correct. Doesn't necessarily translate to higher oil consumption in these formulations.
For instance the new formulation of 5w-40 HD low ash carries a 4% NOACK.  

• Like 2

This caught my attention.  HPL Supercar 0w20 in a HEMI.  About 12k miles.  Wear metals were fine.

Virgin oxidation for this oil is stated to be 23 according to what I have seen.  It's now 46.  So it went up 23.  However the AN is very low and BN high.  

image.thumb.png.7f96b377a4e425f4da981adc56f42aeb.png

• Sad 1

4 hours ago, VicFirth said:

This caught my attention.  HPL Supercar 0w20 in a HEMI.  About 12k miles.  Wear metals were fine.

Virgin oxidation for this oil is stated to be 23 according to what I have seen.  It's now 46.  So it went up 23.  However the AN is very low and BN high.  

There’s nothing good about this report. Too much wear. Poor combustion dynamic. AN & BN mean nothing if wear is sacrificed. 

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, VicFirth said:

I agree with Customboss, nitration is way too high and wear metals are as well. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, VicFirth said:

12000 miles on oil drain? 12,000 on engine? Which Hemi? All that background matters. 

• Thanks 1