16 hours ago, KARNUT said:

I’ve made a determination that you’re not normal. You live in an alternate universe. I thought I lived in a bubble. No I don’t, not like you. No you don’t like opinions. You want everything you’ve way. I simply share my experiences. You want assimilation. I want diversity. My experiences are closer to normal. I don’t like your sandbox. I’ll answer anything I like. You can choose not to read it. Bye Bye. Ps, you don’t need to give me anything. I earned my way. Quite well I may add.

What a nice thing to say!

Your first line is on the money.

Now the bad news.

The rest is fantasy. 

I don't dislike "opinions". Nonsense. I don't like them presented as fact or truth. It defies their very definition. By their very nature they are inaccurate, or they wouldn't be an opinion. Lord man, do you speak English? 

Listen up

I don't WANT it my way. I HAVE It my way

I am very happy not being "normal".  Go ahead define normal and it will make sense......maybe. When your done define QUALITY for us.  Wait...wait....

:lurk:

Okay, now. I'm ready.

Edited by Grumpy Bear
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Grumpy Bear said:

What a nice thing to say!

Your first line is on the money.

Now the bad news.

The rest is fantasy. 

I don't dislike "opinions". Nonsense. I don't like them presented as fact or truth. It defies there very definition. By their very nature they are inaccurate, or they wouldn't be an opinion. Lord man, do you speak English? 

Listen up

I don't WANT it my way. I HAVE It my way

I am very happy not being "normal".  Go ahead define normal and it will make sense......maybe. When your done define QUALITY for us.  Wait...wait....

:lurk:

Okay, now. I'm ready.

I just realized I’m not getting anything out of this. I don’t need to argue with idiots. I’m reading advice given from a person who admits they have had several vehicles use oil. Then telling me. A person that doesn’t experience that problem. I’m doing it wrong. Then telling me I need to change. Ha. So have at it. I don’t need it. I have too much fun to be bothered with this. Keep changing the oil every 1K miles so you don’t have to add oil maybe at 3K miles, you can’t make this stuff up. The Great Grumpy. The oil burner teaching us how to not use oil. It was fun reached saturation I’m moving on. 

The fact that he’s had oil burners, determined the cause, and more or less fixed the issues gives him more credibility about the subject, not less. Experience, admission of mistakes and learning from said mistakes makes someone smarter, not dumber. 

• Thanks 2

1 hour ago, KARNUT said:

I just realized I’m not getting anything out of this. I don’t need to argue with idiots. I’m reading advice given from a person who admits they have had several vehicles use oil. Then telling me. A person that doesn’t experience that problem. I’m doing it wrong. Then telling me I need to change. Ha. So have at it. I don’t need it. I have too much fun to be bothered with this. Keep changing the oil every 1K miles so you don’t have to add oil maybe at 3K miles, you can’t make this stuff up. The Great Grumpy. The oil burner teaching us how to not use oil. It was fun reached saturation I’m moving on. 

All ya have to do is stop posting. It’s easy. I learned that. image.png.ab2e9620dfe91e20c01956ae87000825.png

12 hours ago, Grumpy Bear said:

So, if you stick your hand in the fire and get burned but not when you don't, it puzzles you? 

Class Action Settlement Reached Over Honda Accord Oil Defect (topclassactions.com)

New Hyundai, Kia Engine Failure Settlement Covers 2.1M Additional Vehicles (classaction.org)

Final Approval Granted for Chevy Equinox, GMC Excessive Oil Consumption Settlement (classaction.org)

How long would you like this list. I'm just getting warmed up. 

If you read this settlement post, and I know you won't, you will see that Dizzy is NOT PART of the suit. Ergo her issues are NOT FLAW related as far as the LAW is concerned. 2013 and newer motors were 'modified' to limit this issue. So, the issue is OIL and PROCEEDURE related (OCI recommendation)? It's a good bet.  

Pepper:   MC-10161887-9999.pdf (nhtsa.gov)

Same defect and yet I have no issues. Why? I ignore OEM recommendations for both fluid type and interval. 

Except for those motors that chronically pump fuel into the crankcase: 

Class Action Alleges Honda Hid Engine Oil Dilution ‘Defect’ in Newer CR-V, Civic, Accord Models

The first group of manufacturers COULD avoid this mess with a different fluid and OCI. I do 😉 Those with leaking HPFP just need to fix the pump. :idiot:

No cherry picking going on here. This list is long and distinguished. BMW, Porsche, VW Ford and shall I continue?

Here's the problem Stan. The oils you and I grew up with.....they are few and far between anymore. 

What you and I and most our age grew up with:

image.png.61f2dc017f28b06d3b1d118c5b59e6a8.png

More recently: 

Motor Oil Basics: Oil Viscosity Grades Select Synthetics, 53% OFF

Dexos1Gen2 and 3 have a 0W20 HTHS of the minimum 2.6 cP Group III/IV

Red Line HP 0W20 is a 2.9 cP fluid. (SAE 30 spec) POA/POE

Evolve EvoSyn 0W20 is at 2.91, also SAE 30 84% plant based. 

image.thumb.png.82aa8932aa996547d786daa1e735cd1a.png

Every Choice Matters

You not believing that doesn't.

The shear stability of the Evolve oils really stand out.

0W-20 is 2.91:

5W-20 is 3.36:

5W-30 is 4.09:

5W-40 is 3.97:

Their Racing 10W-40 is 6.17:

• Like 1

14 hours ago, KARNUT said:

Your anger is misinforming you. I'm not asking YOU to do anything or change a thing. I see you are frustrated and confused so I will choose not to be offended by the "Idiot" remark. I know you have better in you. :driving:

12 hours ago, VicFirth said:

I opine that the 5W20 would be a good choice for someone who has a warranty and is worried about viscosity selection disqualifying a claim.

Given some lab support it MAY prove to be capable of going the OEM recommended distance. :dunno:

• Thanks 2

Oils with known solvency built in:

Red Line 

HPL

Torco

Amsoil SS

Red Line, HPL and Torco in particular are very upfront about what they use.  Amsoil used to be, now they don't even comment.  

Rest of the off-shelf oils seem to follow the preventative approach.  

While base oils contribute to flow properties and oxidization stability, for wear and deposit prevention one could say additives play an even larger role.  

Edited by VicFirth

22 hours ago, KARNUT said:

So, @KARNUT you were lying before? 🤨 You've mentioned several "oil users". 

Thought you were following along. Said you were. Lying about that too? Not changing so I don't have to add. Changing for the 3.5% FUEL IN THE OIL.  Keep up or stay out of the conversation.

On 8/21/2024 at 12:40 PM, KARNUT said:

It’s funny what you claim. All the while vehicles are getting cleaner and lasting longer. It’s not any kind of conspiracy. It’s marketing. Someone makes a better mouse trap to compete the competition has to at least match that. Or make the mouse trap faster or prettier. If everything lasts forever there would be no economy. The human condition is to get bored. Want something new. Usually it’s our government that tries to change our direction or destiny. Once we think we got it figured out they change the rules. Global cooling, global warming, climate change. A car that’s last forever. No thank you. How many times have you seen people remodel a perfectly functional house. Change is the only thing that keeps people going. 

Did I say conspiracy? Let me think. 🤔 Nope. I said BUISNESS MODEL. The truth just escapes you, doesn't it? 🤨

5 minutes ago, VicFirth said:

Is having too much detergency bad in an oil?  Oils like Red Line and HPL have very high sulfated ash levels.  I imagine HPL is well above 1.4.  

In my experience YES.  They will leave needless deposits on spark plugs in a perfect engine and in a blow-by baby they can foul valves , EGR system, after treatment, and 02 sensors etc. 

Why there are chemical box limits on additives especially organometallics. 

Edited by customboss
  • Thanks 1

Thanks.  HPL is currently using 1,950ppm of Mg and 1,264ppm of Ca.  TBN well over 13.  Just seems like a lot of detergents.  I guess one has to trust the formulator balanced everything out correctly. 

Edited by VicFirth
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, VicFirth said:

Thanks.  HPL is currently using 1,950ppm of Mg and 1,264ppm of Ca.  TBN well over 13.  Just seems like a lot of detergents.  I guess one has to trust the formulator balanced everything out correctly. 

The original formulator of REDLINE had a focus on racing so there's that.  His PCMO is less loaded but over loaded  IMHO. 

Yes you do initially, analyze and observe in situ and you can find a perfect hand in glove fit for your application. 

I preferred to use non organo metallic adds and since retiring I see my designs and formulations now marketed using crappy additives that negate my original thinking, that's one case where Grumpy and I agree, the chemistry/engineer gets overruled by marketing realities.  

CPB original formulation without CJ4 add pack was AWESOME.  

Terry 

• Thanks 1

30 minutes ago, VicFirth said:

Is having too much detergency bad in an oil?  Oils like Red Line and HPL have very high sulfated ash levels.  I imagine HPL is well above 1.4.  

Depends on the motor's health. Depends on the oil's health. Both change over time. Ash can leave deposits under certain conditions. But the concern in the 'Industry' is how these affect the aftertreatment, not the motor itself. To get to the after treated areas the motor must pass that oil to them. Read that, use oil and it must do it in enough volume to 'poison' the cats, after filters, O2 sensors. GM considers a quart in 2K miles "normal'. Some Euro machines consider a quart in 1K normal. Common, yes, normal it isn't. 

GM Dexos1Gen3 standards are SA equal to or less than 0.9%, Phos 0.08% and Sulphur 0.45% Gen2 was 1% SA.

Porsche A30 is even tighter.

image.thumb.png.5ebb4fe91fb84add8aef333649c0116d.png

Using that much oil and using OEM recommended oil of these values still have to beat the distance for the Federally Mandated Emissions warranty. 

So, how much oil does the motor use is relevant to your query. 

Second consideration is the oils health. Your oil of choice in YOUR motor, operating under YOUR conditions; does that oil 'fail' some other fatal limit before the TBN reaches 50 to 65% depletion? Does it stay in grade and if so HOW. Does it stay clean that long? Few labs do a pore block particle count because it is rarely an issue under OEM length OCI's. But a guy trying to wring every mile from the oil based on big chemistry may. 

As you can see the exact answer to your question depends on you and your equipment. As Dyson used to say, "Hand in Glove". 

Edited by Grumpy Bear
  • Thanks 2