Brake upgrades for my 2014 GMC Sierra

Posted (edited)
On 7/24/2024 at 7:14 AM, UrbanRage said:

Head gasket? Do you have coolant leaking into the cylinders? 

No it's overheating when I get on the throttle too much.  And everything else has been changed and flushed, I replaced the radiator and flushed the system after I hit a deer.  I replaced the thermostat because I wanted a cooler temp thermostat. I replaced the temp sensor because it went bad. And I did the water pump when this issue started. The dealership and 2 other shops said it was the head gasket. I have some broken exhaust bolts and I what to change the lifters before they fail. 

Edited by Homewrecker007

I'm not sure if you've thought about getting rid of the AFM, but I guess now would be a good time. When I did the delete, my engine was running great. After pulling out the cam, I noticed some light scaring on two of the AFM lifter lobes, so I'm assuming it was a matter of time until I fell victim to the dreaded lifter failure. If you're interested, let me know, and I'll post the kit I used. 

4 hours ago, UrbanRage said:

I'm not sure if you've thought about getting rid of the AFM, but I guess now would be a good time. When I did the delete, my engine was running great. After pulling out the cam, I noticed some light scaring on two of the AFM lifter lobes, so I'm assuming it was a matter of time until I fell victim to the dreaded lifter failure. If you're interested, let me know, and I'll post the kit I used. 

I plan on deleting it by way of L8T. I'm hitting 280,000 miles. I'm just patching it up to make it a little bit longer, till I have the funds saved up for the new engine and transmission. 

• Like 1

Are you going to finish the brakes and test drive it before you start the head gasket? As for the engine swap, are you going with a new long block or getting one used? 

2 minutes ago, UrbanRage said:

Are you going to finish the brakes and test drive it before you start the head gasket? As for the engine swap, are you going with a new long block or getting one used? 

Yes I'll be driving it before the head gaskets. We have to go back to Colorado for my Father-in-laws funeral so I'll be dropping the truck off at a friend's repair shop 3 hrs from here. To do the gaskets while we're gone. My plan is to get a take out engine from a place in Michigan that sells them with less then 10 miles on them. So pretty much new. 

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

Ok so the brakes are done. I had a issues with a couple of the brake calipers that I put on passenger front leaking. I managed to piece a non leaking 1 together out of the 2 I tried on the front passenger side. In Summation I recommend getting 2019+ wheels when doing the upgrade if you're current wheels don't clear. That would save the hassle of grinding off the hump everytime you need to swap out the calipers. Once I finish swapping out the trans pan and shaking out the restriction in my exhaust, I will post results of how it stops. It should be 100% better the old brake fluid was practically water according to the tester. 

Picture of restriction free pipe.20240804_175043.thumb.jpg.24e6b5bd31fcf96c1ced9f5466d5594e.jpg

Edited by Homewrecker007
Forgot to add picture
  • Like 2

I'm glad to hear your truck is back on the road. So, what are your thoughts on how quickly the truck stops now? Is the pedal stiffer, the same, or a little more squishy? Was the juice worth the squeeze? 

12 hours ago, UrbanRage said:

I'm glad to hear your truck is back on the road. So, what are your thoughts on how quickly the truck stops now? Is the pedal stiffer, the same, or a little more squishy? Was the juice worth the squeeze? 

I think it was worth it. Pedal is a good firm Pedal. It was squishy before I believe because the brake fluid needed changed. I also deleted the vacuum pump so applied pressure might require a little more push. It does stop on a dime and gives you 9 cents change. Also while it was out of service I ordered a custom thermostat housing that uses a ls3 style thermostat for the truck.  I installed a gates 187° stat turns out everyone was wrong I don't need head gaskets. The 3 motorad thermostats I used were all junk and not opening. Truck runs at 186°, it got up to 188° when I run it up to 100 mph for a few miles. (The highway was empty so only I was in the danger zone) so now I have new heads, gaskets and rockers and lifters I don't need and can't return.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, Homewrecker007 said:

The 3 motorad thermostats I used were all junk and not opening.

Hahaha! Took you 3 tries to find that out? It only took me 1 time. Never again with motorad...

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, mikeyk101 said:

Hahaha! Took you 3 tries to find that out? It only took me 1 time. Never again with motorad...

I had 2 of them. 3rd one was in the truck when I bought it. So I guess I can't count the 1st one. But after running the 2 I got I'm going to guess it was not in the truck long before I bought it. 

• Like 1