Brake upgrades for my 2014 GMC Sierra

6 minutes ago, Shane T. said:

and break lines>??

Brake lines stay the same. The rear brakes require an adapter for the calipers to bolt on the truck. Otherwise everything attaches and clears no problem. Also on the front you gain an extra 1/2" of rotor. The old rotors are 13" and the new are 13.5"

On 6/19/2024 at 2:29 PM, Grumpy Bear said:

Same spare on mine. :) 

I do believe the back spacing is different between the 14-18 7 spoke spare and the 19+ 7 spoke spare wheels 

• Thanks 1

20 hours ago, Homewrecker007 said:

I don't like running spacers on my wheels. You do have to add shims to the caliper mounts to center up the calipers. I will post pictures of this when they get here, they are just m14 flat washers. I do have to trim a tiny amount off the calipers for my factory 20's to clear. If you want to run 17's you'll have to get a set off a 2019+ truck, or get aftermarket wheels with the correct spacing to clear. My aftermarket 22's on my 18 requires more trimming on the calipers to clear the wheels. The attached pictures the calipers with marker lines are what I need to shave down for my 20's to fit. The other is what I had to do for my 22's to fit. I may switch wheels before I do the brake job on the 18. 20240620_155109.thumb.jpg.e1288e1210bc623f1ea43ac5bf792c5f.jpg17189131001902366362312637789747.thumb.jpg.3dc160415ad1c662b6417d2528d7a62c.jpg

I meant shims for the calipers not a spacer for the wheel, sorry for the confusing choice of words..... I have seen this swap done before but non ever showed such extensive grinding of the caliper.

2 minutes ago, Shane T. said:

I meant shims for the calipers not a spacer for the wheel, sorry for the confusing choice of words..... I have seen this swap done before but non ever showed such extensive grinding of the caliper.

I too have not seen anyone else grinding so much off. I believe when I do get to the brake job on my 18 I'll get some different wheels. Probably some off a 19+ so I won't have to grind anything off. For now I'm going to complete the 14's brake change. I may even step up to the PPV 6 piston calipers for the 18. 

Posted (edited)

Decided to go with some stainless steel Braided brake Lines since I'm going to be changing everything else. Also ordered new brake fluid. 

Motul (5 Pack) 100950 100% Synthetic Brake Dot 5.1 Brake Fluid 1/2 Liter or 500 ml https://a.co/d/0c0ZA5W0

StopTech (950.66002) Brake Line Kit, Stainless Steel https://a.co/d/02ATSKHH

Stoptech 950.66504 SS Brake Line Kit https://a.co/d/08zn8UU1

Edited by Homewrecker007

Nice! If your truck uses DOT 3 brake fluid (like mine does), be sure to flush the hell out it lol.. I would hate to read about you going through all of this, to have the brake fluid gel up on you. 

5 hours ago, UrbanRage said:

Nice! If your truck uses DOT 3 brake fluid (like mine does), be sure to flush the hell out it lol.. I would hate to read about you going through all of this, to have the brake fluid gel up on you. 

DOT 5.1 can be mixed with DOT 3 & 4.

But yes it's getting a complete flush. 

5 hours ago, UrbanRage said:

16 minutes ago, Homewrecker007 said:

Good for bringing this up. It's the DOT 5 that can really mess with the brake system and should never be mixed. Like @Homewrecker007 says, 5.1 is fine to use.

13 minutes ago, mikeyk101 said:

Good for bringing this up. It's the DOT 5 that can really mess with the brake system and should never be mixed. Like @Homewrecker007 says, 5.1 is fine to use.

Yes DOT 5 is for Military vehicles. And can be used in older vehicles without ABS. After a complete fluid flush or in a new system. 5.1 was designed to work in modern systems so we to can have the benefit of higher boiling point and water absorption. 

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

Ok so this may be different for everyone. I've seen multiple videos on the YouTubes and every one of them use a different number of washers to space the calipers out. I've come up with almost perfectly centered using 2, 9/16" 2.0mm thickness washer (Lowe's didn't have M14 washers that's why the 9/16") on each bolt for a spacing of 4mm. To be perfectly centered I believe it was 4.13mm. 

Brake lines arrived today.

20240625_140205.thumb.jpg.8f9e3c2fbdfcc36df88817dc99cc80fa.jpg20240625_140355.thumb.jpg.99838b6c6bb40df2b32fbb6b322d0c11.jpg20240625_141745.thumb.jpg.6fad3bd41fa7c108a3e8607200985701.jpg

Edited by Homewrecker007
  • Like 1

18 hours ago, Homewrecker007 said:

This is why this forum is fantastic. I learned something new today; I wasn't aware of DOT 5.1. It's been a long time since I've messed with brake fluid, lol. 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, UrbanRage said:

This is why this forum is fantastic. I learned something new today; I wasn't aware of DOT 5.1. It's been a long time since I've messed with brake fluid, lol. 

You should be messing with it every 2 years. That stuff needs changed too. 

Ooops, looks like Im a little overdue. Im very attentive to that stuff on my Honda Goldwing but not so much on the truck. I just checked now and brakes flushed by dealer about 5 years ago and just over 60K miles.

is there anything special needed because of the ABS or is it just a straight, pump the brakes a couple times, hold pedal and another person cracks the bleeder? And based on lots of other stuff, I would start with the passenger rear? 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, mikeyk101 said:

Ooops, looks like Im a little overdue. Im very attentive to that stuff on my Honda Goldwing but not so much on the truck. I just checked now and brakes flushed by dealer about 5 years ago and just over 60K miles.

is there anything special needed because of the ABS or is it just a straight, pump the brakes a couple times, hold pedal and another person cracks the bleeder? And based on lots of other stuff, I would start with the passenger rear? 

Yes you can do it like that just fine. I would suck out all the fluid in the master cylinder and put new in then perform the brake bleeding process and flush till the fluid comes out clean at each caliper. 

• Like 3