I have a 2019 L5P with 72k on it. Bought it last June from a dealership with 51k on it. Few months ago, I tried to go get it aligned  at a Big O and was told they couldn't do it because it needed new pitman, idler, and inner tie rods. Got it on the lift few days later and decided pitman and idler were getting replaced, but tie rods didn't seem bad. Bought the parts, took it to a reputable shop, and had them replace them and align it. They scoped out the tie rods and agreed they weren't bad. Fast forward to a week ago, truck is out of alignment again and has slowly been getting worse. I have play in my steering wheel, rides rough, and discovered today that my ball joint on my driver side lower control arm is leaking grease. Once again checked my tie rods and still mechanically appear fine. I won't lie, I do not know all there is to know about these trucks, and I've been learning as I go. 

With all this being said, I'm looking for any information, any tips, any things to look for, or even common problems that I may need to look out for in the future. I'm on my own trying to figure this all out and the only thing most other shops do around here is treat me like a dumb blonde chick.  Last shop I took it to is booked out now for over a month or I'd go back there. Any help would be greatly appreciated. 

On 6/5/2024 at 6:16 PM, OlRedL5P said:

I have a 2019 L5P with 72k on it. Bought it last June from a dealership with 51k on it. Few months ago, I tried to go get it aligned  at a Big O and was told they couldn't do it because it needed new pitman, idler, and inner tie rods. Got it on the lift few days later and decided pitman and idler were getting replaced, but tie rods didn't seem bad. Bought the parts, took it to a reputable shop, and had them replace them and align it. They scoped out the tie rods and agreed they weren't bad. Fast forward to a week ago, truck is out of alignment again and has slowly been getting worse. I have play in my steering wheel, rides rough, and discovered today that my ball joint on my driver side lower control arm is leaking grease. Once again checked my tie rods and still mechanically appear fine. I won't lie, I do not know all there is to know about these trucks, and I've been learning as I go. 

With all this being said, I'm looking for any information, any tips, any things to look for, or even common problems that I may need to look out for in the future. I'm on my own trying to figure this all out and the only thing most other shops do around here is treat me like a dumb blonde chick.  Last shop I took it to is booked out now for over a month or I'd go back there. Any help would be greatly appreciated. 

Ball joint could be "leaking" if it was over greased.  If too many pumps were applied it forces the old grease out.  So that might not be anything to worry about.

What symptoms do you have?  Does it pull to one side or the other?  Steering wheel off?  

• 2 weeks later...

A concern with “used” vehicles is you don’t know what happened to it in previous life.

some put larger tires, ride hard and off-road, sometimes pushing it hard.  This accelerates wear.

so.. bite the bullet, realize these pitman, gearbox, are weak points, replace all the moving parts.. ball joints etc.

if you run bigger than stock tires, save $ to do this again down the road