Dip stick not reading oil after change on 2020 Silverado 2.7L Turbo.

On 5/30/2024 at 4:01 AM, Voskr said:

***Update:

Went to authorized dealership.

I was at half a quart. Previous dude blew the gasket by over tightening the drain plug more than 1/4 turn.

Now, they performed a color dye test to see if further leaks exist. 

What do you mean by at half a quart. Half a quart low on the dipstick?  I’m hoping not half a quart left in the engine!  

• 3 weeks later...

SO ...
The oil pan was cracked and after replacing it, it started to continue to leak. Dealer Mech said it was a GM defect. Not sure what's next. The mech said they are going to contact GM factory to see where to go next???

29 minutes ago, Voskr said:

SO ...
The oil pan was cracked and after replacing it, it started to continue to leak. Dealer Mech said it was a GM defect. Not sure what's next. The mech said they are going to contact GM factory to see where to go next???

Sounds like they tried to tighten it too far.  The plug is pretty much a 1/4 turn and hits a hard stop.  I'd bet the lube tech tried to twist it a bit too hard and that's how the pan got cracked.  

As for secondary leaks now, I'd bet they didn't prime and put the RTV on the pan properly, nor did they let it cure before put oil in it again.  

4 minutes ago, newdude said:

Sounds like they tried to tighten it too far.  The plug is pretty much a 1/4 turn and hits a hard stop.  I'd bet the lube tech tried to twist it a bit too hard and that's how the pan got cracked.  

As for secondary leaks now, I'd bet they didn't prime and put the RTV on the pan properly, nor did they let it cure before put oil in it again.  

Actually, all that.

Called them back and asked for the technicians notes.  They did prime, and let it cure. Still, big leak.

This can't be that bad. ******, I know once the pan (plastic, aluminum, etc.) Is changed properly, there should be some give.

***bangs head against table ***