Dip stick not reading oil after change on 2020 Silverado 2.7L Turbo.

Help!

Had an oil change done on my 2.7L 2020 Silverado. Checked the dip stick and it wasn't reading oil at all. PSI reads 30 to 32 psi at idle and normal drive. Changed it again 2 weeks later to be safe, same result. 6 quarts of 5w30. No reading. First time with the 4 banger. Is this normal? My machismo man senses are tingling...

What if it's just so clear that you can't see it? Have you touched it with your fingers or wiped on a clean shop towel to make sure there is oil?

So, oil seems clear. Wipe with rag, light stain.

Tried it again. Zilch.

Really concerned since I own a 2016 Traverse as well and it uses the identical same oil. Not clear on that stick. Changed them at the same time. Really obvious on that stick.

Nice profile pic btw!

I don't know what to tell you then. If you added 6 quarts, that was the correct amount.

Adding a touch more wouldn't harm anything as the oil level is never truly at 6 quarts while an engine is running. Not sure if doing that would bring it up on the stick.

Posted (edited)

Are you allowing proper drain time?  GM prefers at least 15 minutes before checking oil level, longer is preferred.  

Can I also assume you are checking it engine off?  

Edited by newdude

Definitely checking with engine off. 

And it's been about a week since the oil change. 

Haven't gone to spend the greens at the Chevy services yet but it's the next option. 

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, Voskr said:

Definitely checking with engine off. 

And it's been about a week since the oil change. 

Haven't gone to spend the greens at the Chevy services yet but it's the next option. 

If you had the oil changed this maybe a stupid question and $hit happens but is it the correct dipstick? The tech could have removed the dipstick sat it to the side and picked up the wrong one from another vehicle. BTW this is the 2500HD forum. 

Edited by Silverado4x4

It’s just too clear to see it. I have that problem with some of my dipsticks. My avalanche got 3K oil changes from the previous owner and 5K oil changes now it’s very hard to see the oil even after many miles. The oil change place I use now lays the dip stick on a cloth so not only to see the oil, you see a stain.

• Like 1

On 5/28/2024 at 6:09 AM, Silverado4x4 said:

If you had the oil changed this maybe a stupid question and $hit happens but is it the correct dipstick? The tech could have removed the dipstick sat it to the side and picked up the wrong one from another vehicle. BTW this is the 2500HD forum. 

I didn't think of that minute detail.  I'm going to ask the tech. Also, I didn't realize it was the big boy forum. Lol I'm new to the site.

***Update:

Went to authorized dealership.

I was at half a quart. Previous dude blew the gasket by over tightening the drain plug more than 1/4 turn.

Now, they performed a color dye test to see if further leaks exist. 

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, Voskr said:

***Update:

Went to authorized dealership.

I was at half a quart. Previous dude blew the gasket by over tightening the drain plug more than 1/4 turn.

Now, they performed a color dye test to see if further leaks exist. 

Blew the gasket?  That year 2.7 has a 1/4 turn locking drain plug that is plastic, inside a plastic oil pan.  You literally can't turn it any further once it stops.

Sounds like they never put oil in your truck to begin with.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, Pryme said:

Plastic drain plug and pan? Yikes no thanks

Eh.  Not that big a deal really.  Ford has been using them on Ecoboosts for years now.  Its just the lower pan, and the upper pan is structural aluminum.  There's been some that do leak however around the pan perimeter.  2023+onwards they now use a steel lower pan with a normal drain plug.  

Edited by newdude
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, newdude said:

Eh.  Not that big a deal really.  Ford has been using them on Ecoboosts for years now.  Its just the lower pan, and the upper pan is structural aluminum.  There's been some that do leak however around the pan perimeter.  2023+onwards they now use a steel lower pan with a normal drain plug.  

Sounds like they realized it’s a poor idea. 

• Like 2