Like others on here I was driving along the interstate in the fast lane in fairly heavy traffic. All of a sudden i had no power. Just I had turned the engine off. My dash flashed something about shifting to neutral and restarting the engine. Luckily I was able to make it over ti the right emergency lane before getting hit in the rear. I had it towed to the dealer and they told me the engine was locked up. It is a 2019 and only has 52K miles on it. Of course the warranty expired 6 months ago. The dealer told me it is going to cost $13,000 to get it replaced.  I keep reading story after story about these engine failures. There really needs to be a recall on these engines before someone gets hurt or killed. I have filed a complaint with the NHSTA and I am also going ro file a complaint with consumer reports. I'm hoping that if enough of us complain GM will have to issue a recall on these engines. So if you have had or have this happen please file a complaint.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/7/2024 at 9:40 PM, johnnyquick said:

I know 2023 6.2's are being replaced for free and before selling any remaining on lots because of lifter overbore I believe it was.

2019 6.2 engines are not being replaced for free. Stevens54 and others are being told $13.000.00 for engine replacement.

Customer pay.

• Sad 1

6 hours ago, Bikerjon said:

2019 6.2 engines are not being replaced for free. Stevens54 and others are being told $13.000.00 for engine replacement.

Customer pay.

I know, that is such BS these engines are clearly built improperly and or are just junk, I don't know what I will do when they try to screw me on mine.

I am still under warranty but last thing I want is one of their "mechanics" doing a Frankenstein repair job in between bong hits.

ZERO faith in service dept quality.

• Sad 1

• 4 months later...
On 5/9/2024 at 8:39 AM, Bikerjon said:

Customer pay.

Compare that to a 25k+ V6 TT Tundra engine replacement....
Point is, the vehicles MAY have an issue that is being under investigation..which probably will be rectified BY MY26 or so...

NOT BECAUSE they are junk. A 19 6.2 going bad either is a lemon, or very badly maintained. Calling them junk just because PEOPLE THINK they are is wrong...either you DO your maintenance properly or you neglect it and you deny it. Simple. 

Go ahead and argue. NOT GOING to listen. 

• Confused 1

According to the CarPro radio show I listen to every week. A batch of Toyotas had engine problems on the new V-6. According to CarPro Toyota replaced or will replace all in that model run, for free. They have fixed the problem. I am constantly roaming several new car dealerships for a low mileage older trade in. Where I bought my avalanche a cream puff showed up. A 2012 Yukon Denali with just 100K miles on it. No marks even on the drivers seat. Yes even the 6.2 engine. I’m thinking, damn upgrade and eliminate the 02 Avalanche and the Honda. Then it hits me. Does it have cylinder deactivation? Surly it doesn’t. Yes it does. Pass.

1 hour ago, KARNUT said:

According to the CarPro radio show I listen to every week. A batch of Toyotas had engine problems on the new V-6. According to CarPro Toyota replaced or will replace all in that model run, for free. They have fixed the problem. I am constantly roaming several new car dealerships for a low mileage older trade in. Where I bought my avalanche a cream puff showed up. A 2012 Yukon Denali with just 100K miles on it. No marks even on the drivers seat. Yes even the 6.2 engine. I’m thinking, damn upgrade and eliminate the 02 Avalanche and the Honda. Then it hits me. Does it have cylinder deactivation? Surly it doesn’t. Yes it does. Pass.

Unfortunately NO. Toyota has NOT fixed the problem because of their goodwill...they did it because of the lawsuits they would face if they did not. And MY24 Tundras as well as hybrids have failures.........also....

The issue is the engine that costs 25k+ to fix out of warranty....? Would you like to take a chance on that?

And, it depends whether your Tundra is under warranty or not

1 minute ago, ScathaTheWorm said:

Unfortunately NO. Toyota has NOT fixed the problem because of their goodwill...they did it because of the lawsuits they would face if they did not. And MY24 Tundras as well as hybrids have failures.........also....

The issue is the engine that costs 25k+ to fix out of warranty....? Would you like to take a chance on that?

And, it depends whether your Tundra is under warranty or not

The show I mentioned is national and hosted by an ex multiple dealership owner. He’s well connected in the automotive industry. The CarPro radio show has been on 23 years. According to the host Toyota is quick to solve defective issues. Quicker than most. He had multiple Ford dealerships and probably bleeds blue. He doesn’t seem to favor one manufacturer over another. Seems to shot straight. So I would probably lean towards him as being up on the latest. Most of the vehicles I’ve owned have served me well and have lasted their intended lifespan without much fuss. Toyota and Honda a little longer without rattling or banging.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, KARNUT said:

The show I mentioned is national and hosted by an ex multiple dealership owner. He’s well connected in the automotive industry. The CarPro radio show has been on 23 years. According to the host Toyota is quick to solve defective issues. Quicker than most. He had multiple Ford dealerships and probably bleeds blue. He doesn’t seem to favor one manufacturer over another. Seems to shot straight. So I would probably lean towards him as being up on the latest. Most of the vehicles I’ve owned have served me well and have lasted their intended lifespan without much fuss. Toyota and Honda a little longer without rattling or banging.

Still, that does NOT change my mind.

Do you want to own an overly complex engine that requires the CAB OFF to service? And turbos to be at the back of the engine?

They surely WERE NOT quick to solve the DPF/DEF issues in Australia, nor where they quick in settling the rust lawsuit which they were forced to pay...You can read about the many other lawsuits Toyota has had. Does NOT make them better than any other manufacturer...and there are people who cannot afford their costly products also, so settle for a GMC/Chevrolet product (or even a Nissan) that can give just as good service with proper maintenance. 

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, KARNUT said:

TOYOTA is mostly a WORLDWIDE locally manufactored product and as such quality is a real issue depending on market. 

At Cummins we provided the 4 cylinder turbo diesel engines in the HILUX trucks the whackadoodles in mideast and africa mount guns to.  TECHNICALS they are called. When I was in military we called them burning targets. 

Houthis mounted a fricking Vulcan 20 mm to one!  

spacer.png

Edited by customboss
Pic

29 minutes ago, ScathaTheWorm said:

Still, that does NOT change my mind.

Do you want to own an overly complex engine that requires the CAB OFF to service? And turbos to be at the back of the engine?

They surely WERE NOT quick to solve the DPF/DEF issues in Australia, nor where they quick in settling the rust lawsuit which they were forced to pay...You can read about the many other lawsuits Toyota has had. Does NOT make them better than any other manufacturer...and there are people who cannot afford their costly products also, so settle for a GMC/Chevrolet product (or even a Nissan) that can give just as good service with proper maintenance. 

I haven’t owned many Toyotas trucks because of their higher prices during my working career. The few we’ve owned were extremely reliable. If I desired to keep a new truck a long time I’d certainly consider a Toyota. I’m perfectly happy with my trusty old Avalanche. I always keep an eye open for a pre cylinder deactivation. If a cleaner than my current truck becomes available.

1 minute ago, KARNUT said:

I haven’t owned many Toyotas trucks because of their higher prices during my working career. The few we’ve owned were extremely reliable. If I desired to keep a new truck a long time I’d certainly consider a Toyota. I’m perfectly happy with my trusty old Avalanche. I always keep an eye open for a pre cylinder deactivation. If a cleaner than my current truck becomes available.

You are lecturing a guy in Doha, Qatar and he can get GM there but you can't get the Toyota's he sees.  FYI 

1 hour ago, customboss said:

TOYOTA is mostly a WORLDWIDE locally manufactored product and as such quality is a real issue depending on market. 

At Cummins we provided the 4 cylinder turbo diesel engines in the HILUX trucks the whackadoodles in mideast and africa mount guns to.  TECHNICALS they are called. When I was in military we called them burning targets. 

Houthis mounted a fricking Vulcan 20 mm to one!  

spacer.png

They are used because they are GENERALLY STOLEN...and once they break they are thrown away. 

The truth that Toyotas are "unbreakable" NEEDS TO STOP. They simply are not. 

I guess you did not consider these...

Chevrolet with gun from BMP-1 in Deir ez-Zor, Syria

• Haha 1

30 minutes ago, KARNUT said:

So you evidently are willing to pay higher prices because of their "reliability" .Sorry, but there are others that cannot afford them. They are NOT the best either...and I will personally NOT risk owning a twin turbo V6 which is VERY complex out of warranty. 

Your choice. I would prefer an engine that I can work on without issues, and something that is reliable as well. In Qatar, majority of the GMC/chevrolet trucks HAVE cylinder deactivation, and the numbers that fail in general (including in US) are MUCH lower than those that do not. I am tired of repeating this over and over. 

Edited by ScathaTheWorm
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, ScathaTheWorm said:

So you evidently are willing to pay higher prices because of their "reliability" .Sorry, but there are others that cannot afford them. They are NOT the best either...and I will personally NOT risk owning a twin turbo V6 which is VERY complex out of warranty. 

Your choice. I would prefer an engine that I can work on without issues, and something that is reliable as well. 

I wonder if you read my whole post. I drive a very nice old reliable 02 Avalanche. A pre cylinder deactivation, 4 speed automatic. The paint right now looks new. The light under the hood still comes on. It only has 184K miles on it. My trip vehicle has 150K miles on it an Odyssey. My wife’s going to town vehicle a 2011 Genesis has close to 150K on it. So I’m pretty satisfied. Originally I just passed on info for a well known and respected radio show.