Need tires soon, what are you replacing your originals with?

the Michelins that came on both my 24 and my dads 21 are great on the highway but freakin terrible in the snow/dirt. planning on a set of E rated discoverer at3s this fall. 

• Like 1

On 4/11/2024 at 8:55 AM, diyer2 said:

Michelin. I wouldn't buy them due to cost, tried a set, now well worth it.

Yep, had a friend comment on my Michelin's and said I wonder why they cost what they do? I replied "Because they are worth it."

• Like 1

How many miles is everyone getting on the factory tires? I have 23K right now and dont think they will make it to 30K. I have used Cooper At3 on previous truck so will probably go with that as I pull a 12K 5th wheel and occasionally get into some muddy conditions and of course snow in upstate NY. 

Only saw one post that runs a true snow tire. For those that live in the north, do you run one tire all year?

My truck came with BFG KO3’s which has the 3 peak mountain snowflake symbol but do not want to run them during winter. They may be ok but I don’t want to chance it on class 4 unmaintained roads during hunting season and winter. Hakkapeliitta LT3’s will be on separate wheels by October. Had them on my last truck and feel that they are the best snow tire. KO3’s will be on mid-April through mid-October.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, rjgvt said:

Only saw one post that runs a true snow tire. For those that live in the north, do you run one tire all year?

My truck came with BFG KO3’s which has the 3 peak mountain snowflake symbol but do not want to run them during winter. They may be ok but I don’t want to chance it on class 4 unmaintained roads during hunting season and winter. Hakkapeliitta LT3’s will be on separate wheels by October. Had them on my last truck and feel that they are the best snow tire. KO3’s will be on mid-April through mid-October.

Live in Alaska, drive a lot of miles and only run one set of tires all year long.  No issues, seems as though most that receive the 3 peak mountain snowflake symbol are more than capable. 

Posted (edited)
On 4/15/2024 at 11:45 AM, TeamSaris said:

the Michelins that came on both my 24 and my dads 21 are great on the highway but freakin terrible in the snow/dirt. planning on a set of E rated discoverer at3s this fall. 

I have a 2500 RAM company truck that came new with Nexens and I got 60k out of them before replacing as they began to suck on wet roads. I went with the Cooper AT3's and now have 25k on them so far and I like them other than rocks that get stuck between the treads once getting back on paved roads. I'm on caliche base road beds fairly often.

Edited by ManyCamaroz
  • Like 1

I just installed new Sumitomo AT tires a few weeks ago. Did a 500 mile roadtrip, pretty pleased with the quiet smooth ride.

If you're looking for an AT tire, these are tied with BFG KO and Toyo AT3 for best in category on Tire Rack. They're significantly cheaper. I got my 265/70/18s for $171 each, plus shipping, from Discount Tire Zone. All-in price was $768 delivered.

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/sumitomo-encounter-at

It's a Japanese company that also includes Dunlop & Falken. My tires were manufactured in Thailand. 

Screenshot 2024-04-17 at 8.15.06 PM.png

Edited by YYC-SIERRA
  • Like 1

Think I'll go with the Falken Wildpeak A/T4W when it's time.  LT all terrain tire with a 60k warranty, snow peak rated.  Hard to beat.  Probably jump up to a 285/65R20, diameter is at 34.8. 

Edited by A Chap

• 5 months later...
On 4/15/2024 at 12:45 PM, TeamSaris said:

tried to do this, but discoverer at3 are NLA. Going with discoverer stronghold. Looks promising, hope it isnt noisy. 

On 4/11/2024 at 8:35 AM, Epsilon Plus said:

Many a good tire gets it's bad reputation from the OEM stock versions of it. The OEMs use cheaper quality rubber and a generally crappier tire to save a fortune. These tires will have the same name and look of their retail counterparts but perform as much as 50% less. Michelin Defenders get a bad rap from Super Duty guys as they are or were stock on those. Firestone Transforce AT, while being a crap retail tire, is flaming hot garbage in OEM form on Ram HDs.

If I was going to run a non-aggressive tire, the Defender LTX is king. The aggressive category belongs to Nitto and Toyo.

My 2017 2500HD came w/ them. I was not impressed w/ them being on my 2024. For an A/T or OOR tire, they look more like a steerer tire on a transport...

standard Michelins on HD trucks are phenomenal in the rain, not aggressive enough for dirt but highway and rain, they are superb

2 hours ago, Pryme said:

Interco thornbirds

Oh my, those look like hot garbage lol.

And they are bias-ply tires. No thank you for any modern truck run fast freeway speeds and can tow heavy weights.

• Like 1

LOL

The name sounded familiar, but had to Google them to see what they looked like. I had a couple of sets of Gateway Mudders, 33s & 38s on my '82 K15 back in the day.