Need tires soon, what are you replacing your originals with?

My tires are getting close to needing replacement. The shop that maintains my company truck spoke highly of, and talked me into the Cooper Discoverer A/T3's. I was concerned about tire noise but so far so good. I've always liked/run Michelin's but was wondering what the general preference is of this group.

Thanks, Dennis

I occasionally tow heavy in both gravel and mud (gooseneck horse trailer - about 10,000 pounds) so I needed a tire that would work well in those situations. I swear by Nitto Ridge Grapplers. They are relatively quiet on the road, work fantastic pulling up-hill in loose gravel and while I don't drive where it is super muddy, they work very well in slick/soupy yard/dirt road scenarios. 

Posted (edited)

Thanks for the replies. My tire guy ordered AT2's for my company truck as I was concerned about road noise as I drive a lot of highway miles but also spend time on dirt and gravel roads on wind farms and solar sites. They shipped AT3's so I went with them and I can't complain as I now have 23k on them and they are quiet. My tire guy said in his opinion, Michelin quality has gone down. 

Edited by ManyCamaroz

Michelin Defenders. I don't need an A/T tire.

As far as Michelin quality going down, I have not seen it. I have some Defenders on a 2018 F-150 with 40K on the tires. They have over half their tread left.

Edited by bruceb58
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, bruceb58 said:

Michelin Defenders. I don't need an A/T tire.

As far as Michelin quality going down, I have not seen it. I have some Defenders on a 2018 F-150 with 40K on the tires. They have over half their tread left.

I put Denfenders LTX on my Escalade 7-8 years ago and from the moment I drove off with them there was no comparison to the Bridgestone's that came on it new. I believe I want something a little more aggressive than a straight street tire. Discount tire states the Defender LTX M/S is discontinued. It is a great tire.

On my previous duallys I have always went with Coopers, this was mostly because I did not trust the Nexens that come on Rams.

On this Chevy, the Michelins seems to be a good tire(just not a lot of choices right now with the 235X80x18) and I will probably run them til they need replacing.  I like an AT tire so coopers would be my go to.

Edited by sstoner911

I replaced the OE tires a couple months ago and went with the new Goodyear Wrangler Duratrac RT. Slightly different tread than regular Duratracs, plus Kevlar for extra stability and puncture resistance. Very happy with the ride, noise and towing our fifth wheel.

Michelins quality has gone up in my opinion, I deal with them on a daily basis so I've seen all the changes over the years.

The Defenders have been replaced with the Defender 2's in basically all of the most common sizes with more still to roll out. For both the Defender car tire and the Defender LTX truck tires.

When they came out with the Michelin Agillis tire, those were a game changer for fleets and dually truck. Durable, long lasting and good traction. Lots of service trucks, penske fleets and Amazon fleet trucks switched to those tires around here.

Now you can get the Michelin Platinum LTX I believe, it's a new tire from them but only in a few sizes so far. They say with the testing they did it will last longer than the Defender LTX in the heavy duty trucks but they cost a pretty penny.

BFG HD Terrain for "more aggressive than street but not totally offroad".

re: Michelin, we run them on cars in summer, but not trucks, great tires. No slight on them, just have good experience with BFG's on trucks.

That said, in winter everything gets a set of studless Nokian's.

Many a good tire gets it's bad reputation from the OEM stock versions of it. The OEMs use cheaper quality rubber and a generally crappier tire to save a fortune. These tires will have the same name and look of their retail counterparts but perform as much as 50% less. Michelin Defenders get a bad rap from Super Duty guys as they are or were stock on those. Firestone Transforce, while being a crap retail tire, is flaming hot garbage in OEM form on Ram HDs.

If I was going to run a non-aggressive tire, the Defender LTX is king. The aggressive category belongs to Nitto and Toyo.

2 hours ago, Epsilon Plus said:

Many a good tire gets it's bad reputation from the OEM stock versions of it. The OEMs use cheaper quality rubber and a generally crappier tire to save a fortune. These tires will have the same name and look of their retail counterparts but perform as much as 50% less. Michelin Defenders get a bad rap from Super Duty guys as they are or were stock on those. Firestone Transforce, while being a crap retail tire, is flaming hot garbage in OEM form on Ram HDs.

If I was going to run a non-aggressive tire, the Defender LTX is king. The aggressive category belongs to Nitto and Toyo.

100% correct, the tire brand that comes on the vehicle is not the same tire you would buy at a the store its been that way for a long time. 

• Like 1

I am on my second set of Cooper Discoverer HT3 on my 13,000-pound service truck.  I am very happy with them.  The most important thing to me over the years has been the treadwear warranties (BFG Commercial TA before the Coopers).  This tire has a 50,000-mile warranty, so when they wear out at 30,000 miles I get a considerable pro-rated discount on the new tires.  I would rather get a good price on new tires every 30k than try to stretch out a tire to 50k or 60k with uneven wear issues compounding and multiple plugs.

On 4/11/2024 at 10:09 AM, Silverado4x4 said:

100% correct, the tire brand that comes on the vehicle is not the same tire you would buy at a the store its been that way for a long time. 

I've never heard that before. To me a low quality tire that doesn't perform well would prevent a tire buyer to go back with what originally came on it.