New Sierra fan/owner seeking guidance from a pro.

Hello.

My first truck was a 2010 Sierra bought in 2019, 3rd owner. It was great. It's now rusted out and the lifter is so blown that it sounds like a very old diesel. It owes me nothing. 

I need a new to me used truck. I like some Tundras, I occasionally like the odd Ram, but I REALLY like Sierras and want to stay committed.

I Just left a dealership in one and it didn't make it 5 kms. The dealership is cooperating. I am looking at a few particular years and models of Sierra 1500, chiefly 2015-2018, there's a couple '21 Silverados. I would love to avoid pitfalls and to understand fuel economy between 5.3's and 6.2's and 6.2 vs the 5.7 Hemis. Also, what years/months/models to avoid for endemic/common problems.

Is there someone out there who can guide me a little over the next week hopefully. I live 5 hours from the dealership and they gave me a Ford Escape as courtesy car. I build houses. You can see the bind I'm in, ha.

Many thanks.

Dom.

My opinion is 2016-2018 trucks. Better front ends and better headlights. Either 5.3 or 6.2 will be just fine, the 6.2 will drink a little more fuel because it's a bigger displacement engine. Both can suffer from the exact same issues so it kinda doesn't matter what you pick. The 6.2 make more power and are more expensive to buy in most cases at dealerships.

The 6.2's will have an 8 speed and most 5.3 will have the 6 speed. Again, both of those can have flaws so it's hard to say what is the better choice. Someday it's likely that each transmission will need a rebuild.

• Like 2