1500hd rear axle housing and differential cover

Im reaching out for an answer on the compatibility of a 2002 gmc 1500hd rear end and a 2500hd rear end. I’ve been looking at aftermarket rear differential covers PPE specifically and on the website all I have found are ones for a regular 1500 which appear to small and a 2500hd which appears to be the same 14 bolt which is on my truck but with a full plug that my diff cover doesn’t have but I’m not sure if they are different rear ends or if the only difference is a full floating rear end versus a semi floating rear end I’ve found no answers on other forums so I’m making my own post trying to get answers 

A semi floating rear axle has axle shafts that support the weight of the truck.  You can tell a semi-floating axle by the absense of a protruding  wheel hub.  The axle shafts in a floating axle do not support the weight of the truck, they only turn the wheels.  The hub has bearings that ride on the axle housing which supports the weight of the truck.  Floating axles have protruding hubs that have bolts attaching the shaft flange to the hub.  There are 3 different axles that have 14 bolt covers.  The 9.5" is a semi-float design with a round cover, the 10.5" which is a full float design and has a cover shaped more like a stop sign, and an 11.5" full float that is very large and is only used on certain 2500's and 3500's.  Some axles have fill plugs, some do not, so most aftermarket covers do have plugs.           

Edited by C/K Man

https://lugnut4x4.com/axles/14-bolt-axle-identification/

identify.png

In '02, there were two full float axles, a 10.5 inch and 11 inch, which share the same cover. As you can see, the semi float is very different.

I suppose there could be an exception, so get what you want and return it if it doesn't fit.

7 hours ago, Citro6.0 said:

Im reaching out for an answer on the compatibility of a 2002 gmc 1500hd rear end and a 2500hd rear end. I’ve been looking at aftermarket rear differential covers PPE specifically and on the website all I have found are ones for a regular 1500 which appear to small and a 2500hd which appears to be the same 14 bolt which is on my truck but with a full plug that my diff cover doesn’t have but I’m not sure if they are different rear ends or if the only difference is a full floating rear end versus a semi floating rear end I’ve found no answers on other forums so I’m making my own post trying to get answers 

1500HD and 2500 NON HD use the 9.5" 14 bolt semi floating axle.  

10.5" cover and other parts WILL NOT FIT a 9.5" 14 bolt semi float.  They are not the same axle.