What are everyone’s thoughts on what engine and kWh battery size they will use for the PHEV 1500 pickup.

2.7L makes sense as its the smallest and lightest.  As well it can be used in the Colorado platform and others. 

3.0 diesel would be the most efficient pickup in the world.  This is truly what i hope is happening.  This way it can be cross shared with the tahoe, yukon, escalade.

6.2L could share the corvette erays parts?

what are your thoughts?

Edited by Elpresidente
More thoughts
  • Like 1

My thoughts are it will be rushed and full of quality control issues.

That said...

It will probably be a 5.3 just like the last one was, the Silverado/Sierra eAssist.  

2.7 would be pretty cool though as before you even add electric power the engine already puts out 430 ft.lbs torque.  And like you said, lightest engine choice which makes for a light truck to start with.  

Edited by newdude
  • Sad 1

It will probably be a 5.3. Back in 2018 there was a limited release of E-assist trucks with the 5.3 and an electric e-assist motor. So they already have the technology, just have to implement it on a broader scale.

https://www.spokaneauto.com/blogs/4572/should-you-get-eassist-for-the-2018-silverado

Edited by fondupot

This will be a phev.  And the least beneficial engine to invest in is the 5.3.

i want it to be the diesel.  But the 2.7L will work in the colarado.  And probably other platforms eventually.

• 6 months later...

Maybe pull out the design for the hybrid GMT900...

I was a tool & diemaker at the Oshawa Truck Plant & we had just completed adding tooling in the Body Shop for the hybrid program when the 'brain trust' (I use that term very loosely) decided to shut us down. That was in 2008. Since then Mary Barracuda has been on a crusade to convert GM to an EV producer building product nobody wants. 

Has nobody thought of producing a hybrid in the ensuing 16 years?

https://gmauthority.com/blog/gm/gmc/sierra/2027-gmc-sierra/

they are building phevs half tons.

what i want and not sure if it will get built is a 2500 with a 6.6L gas with a PHEV battery.

we know we will get the 1500s. And probably only with the 4 cyclinder.  I hope with the 3.0L diesel.  But it wouls probably end up with a pickup with only a 1000 lbs of payload.  Not much more than a sedan.

Edited by Elpresidente

1 hour ago, Elpresidente said:

https://gmauthority.com/blog/gm/gmc/sierra/2027-gmc-sierra/

they are building phevs half tons.

what i want and not sure if it will get built is a 2500 with a 6.6L gas with a PHEV battery.

we know we will get the 1500s. And probably only with the 4 cyclinder.  I hope with the 3.0L diesel.  But it wouls probably end up with a pickup with only a 1000 lbs of payload.  Not much more than a sedan.

When I first saw pics of the production Silverado EV, it reminded me of the Avalanche. This week my nephew messaged me saying he'd seen one, 'It looks like an Avalanche...'.

Does it have a frame or is it unibody? When the concept drawings came out I said to a friend, 'I bet this is what is going to become of the 1/2 ton market, glorified grocery getters that wont have a box big enough to carry an ATV or pull a PWC on a trailer'. Sucks for those that use a half ton as a truck, but don't need a 3/4 ton.

Edited by revrnd

28 minutes ago, revrnd said:

When I first saw pics of the production Silverado EV, it reminded me of the Avalanche. This week my nephew messaged me saying he'd seen one, 'It looks like an Avalanche...'.

Does it have a frame or is it unibody? When the concept drawings came out I said to a friend, 'I bet this is what is going to become of the 1/2 ton market, glorified grocery getters that wont have a box big enough to carry an ATV or pull a PWC on a trailer'. Sucks for those that use a half ton as a truck, but don't need a 3/4 ton.

No one knows any details yet.  I have looked online and the link seems like the most informed thing out there.

These are going to be normal body on frame trucks with a battery.

On your other topic yes the GMC EV vs the Chevy EV truck looks better; there is less avalanche "butress" angle or material.