Go Industries Big Tex Grille Guard

MoJo

"It's unique design, heavy outside welds and giant size, results in a stylish grille guard that won't bend, flex or vibrate when in use. Most applications feature easy, no drill, frame mount installation. This grille guard is constructed of one piece tubular frame using massive 1.9", 14 gauge steel. Each application features light tabs for installing auxiliary lighting and heavy duty rubber push pads."

So, I found them in chrome for our '98 Z71 for $415 DELIVERED! :eek:

Seeing as how most others were $400+ for powder coated. These are really impressive, well built bars. I've had "Go Rhino" Sumatra 3000 Series Stepguard, which was like 18 ga steel. The rubber "push pads" on the Rhino kept coming off at the bottom, the Big Tex pads are bolted to the uprights. The chrome is warranted for 6 years.

Everyone comments on the looks and the construction. :seeya:

• 10 months later...

I don't suppose you might hapen to have any pictures of how you got it all mounted, do you?

I bought one of these for my 00' Half ton, and I spent literally 6 hours today trying to get the thing installed.

The instructions I received were about the worst instructions I've ever seen, it didn't tell me what direction the frame mounts were supposed to mount, and after screwing around with it for hours, trying them all directions I could, I STILL couldn't get the thing to line up....

Any help and/or pictures would be GREATLY appreciated :smash:

Well, anyways, I managed to get the shop I bought this thing at to mount it for me, and I'm about as unimpressed with the thing as I could be.

First, this was for a 99-02 GM 1500 truck WITH tow hooks. Supposedly this guard fits with factory tow hooks.

Anyways, as I said above, my dad and I fiddled around with this stupid thing for about 6 hours one day trying to get it to line up and mount, to no avail...the bottom brackets they sent with this kit would absolutley not fit. The plate on the crossmember of the grille guard was at least 1" away and about 1/2" to the inside or outside of where the brackets would be...

All it would have taken the company who made this thing was about $2.00 more steel on the bracket to make it longer and slightly move some of the cutouts on it to fit the tow hooks, so in my opinion there is absolutley ZERO excuse for such a shoddy way to mount this thing....

Anyways, the instructions for this thing were beyond useless

So anyways, I took it back to the shop I bought it from, about "half" installed, and the guy there was telling me "Oh yeah no I can see how it lines up!" .... I then asked him "Well, can you put it on for me, cuz like I've said, I've screwed with this thing for about 6 hours already, and I sure as hell can't see how to make this fit..."

So then he gives me some line about how busy they are and I'm like "well, you wanna give me my money back then?" ....

Well, at that time he was like "well no can you leave it here today?

So I did...

Went back to pick it up later, low and behold the way this guy got this thing to "line up" was to take a cutting torch to the brackets to grind the 'cutout' they ahd even deeper, leaving only about 1/4" of metal of what used to be about 5/8" to support the grille gard, *AND* the thing *STILL* isn't flush with the plate on the cross member, so the thing is literally being supported by the threads on the bolt...

If anyone wants pictures I can show them, but suffice to say, I'm not impressed in any way shape or form with this grille guard's quality...

Archived