Valve Body Replacement - 2023 Silverado Custom Trail Boss

On 5/28/2024 at 9:35 PM, Tom73 said:

What obligation does the dealer have to provide a comparable loaner vehicle while yours is in for these repairs?

In my experience, my dealership used Hertz. I was first put in a Z71 Suburban (they had no trucks available), but that then developed an oil leak (only 23K miles on it, ha!) and was put in an essentially brand new Suburban Premiere. I was told the only stipulation was that it had to be a GM vehicle, but was authorized for a full-size truck, Tahoe, or Suburban. I was in a rental for 2+ months. Per the rental invoice, GM had to pay a pretty penny on the rental.

In regard to how I received a new transmission vs a new valve body, I think a lot of it had to do with a sympathetic Service Manager at my dealership that went to bat for me with GM, and me always being respectful to him and his service advisors. Don't get me wrong, I was immensely frustrated being told no ETA for repairs time and time again, but this is a GM issue. And by the looks of it, it's quite a big problem. 

On 5/28/2024 at 8:35 PM, Tom73 said:

What obligation does the dealer have to provide a comparable loaner vehicle while yours is in for these repairs?

Well when I have spent over $250k in brand new trucks this year, and still need to spend another $150k before the end of the year, you would think they would take a bit better care of us considering this is a $100,000 truck that is used for my business and for my personal toys.  This issue has put me in a bind big time.  I'll spend my money with another manufacturer at this point. 

8 hours ago, Michael Lung said:

In my experience, my dealership used Hertz. I was first put in a Z71 Suburban (they had no trucks available), but that then developed an oil leak (only 23K miles on it, ha!) and was put in an essentially brand new Suburban Premiere. I was told the only stipulation was that it had to be a GM vehicle, but was authorized for a full-size truck, Tahoe, or Suburban. I was in a rental for 2+ months. Per the rental invoice, GM had to pay a pretty penny on the rental.

My service manager said that GM will only pay a set amount and it is low. Anything over that would be my responsibility. 

12 hours ago, Michael Lung said:

In regard to how I received a new transmission vs a new valve body, I think a lot of it had to do with a sympathetic Service Manager at my dealership that went to bat for me with GM, and me always being respectful to him and his service advisors. Don't get me wrong, I was immensely frustrated being told no ETA for repairs time and time again, but this is a GM issue. And by the looks of it, it's quite a big problem. 

You are absolutely right. Respectfulness and patience gets results almost every time.

Good news….after the truck being in the shop for almost four weeks and not being able to find a valve body, the service manager called to advise that he has found a transmission, should be in this week. Starting to see a glimmer of light at the end of the tunnel. 

Just wanting to add to the list.  2021 Silverado Trailboss LT, 32,000 miles.  Bought new in August 2021.  Truck went into limp mode Saturday.  Dealership diagnosed valve body.  Said it's on backorder and will likely be months.  No loaners available.  I'm on my own.  Guess I'll lose a few pounds walking everywhere.  My truck is on it's 3rd rear window (that is leaking and another window is on backorder since November 2023) and had the rear rotors and calipers replaced because the rotors weren't properly heat treated causing them to pit and warp, and has had the power steering go out while driving (x2).  On the first power steering issue, my wife nearly crashed and had to leave the ruck in the middle of the road because it would not steer.  She was going 30 mph on a curvy road when it just locked up.  Towed to dealership, next day they said, it was fine.  They looked through service bulletins and  I guess it's a traction control module not communicating with something else that causes it and if you shut the truck off for 20 minutes, it clears itself.  That's all the dealer could tell me.  No fix, no recall, no guarantee it won't happen again.   Happened to me again about 3 months later, I arm strong it to the shoulder, shut it off for 30 minutes, restarted and away I went.  They did a software update on my next oil change and it hasn't happened again.  I mean, what is that????  Seems to be a major safety issue and there is a bulletin on it, but no fix.   60k to have it sitting at a dealership or waiting on parts for a good chunk of it's life.  Only GM I've ever owned and will be.  I'd dump it and lose my shirt on trade in, but it's now stuck at the dealership for who knows how long collecting dust and diminished trade in value as time goes by.   

4 hours ago, Rushfan75 said:

Just wanting to add to the list.  2021 Silverado Trailboss LT, 32,000 miles.  Bought new in August 2021.  Truck went into limp mode Saturday.  Dealership diagnosed valve body.  Said it's on backorder and will likely be months.  No loaners available.  I'm on my own.  Guess I'll lose a few pounds walking everywhere.  My truck is on it's 3rd rear window (that is leaking and another window is on backorder since November 2023) and had the rear rotors and calipers replaced because the rotors weren't properly heat treated causing them to pit and warp, and has had the power steering go out while driving (x2).  On the first power steering issue, my wife nearly crashed and had to leave the ruck in the middle of the road because it would not steer.  She was going 30 mph on a curvy road when it just locked up.  Towed to dealership, next day they said, it was fine.  They looked through service bulletins and  I guess it's a traction control module not communicating with something else that causes it and if you shut the truck off for 20 minutes, it clears itself.  That's all the dealer could tell me.  No fix, no recall, no guarantee it won't happen again.   Happened to me again about 3 months later, I arm strong it to the shoulder, shut it off for 30 minutes, restarted and away I went.  They did a software update on my next oil change and it hasn't happened again.  I mean, what is that????  Seems to be a major safety issue and there is a bulletin on it, but no fix.   60k to have it sitting at a dealership or waiting on parts for a good chunk of it's life.  Only GM I've ever owned and will be.  I'd dump it and lose my shirt on trade in, but it's now stuck at the dealership for who knows how long collecting dust and diminished trade in value as time goes by.   

We regret to hear of these challenges you are facing with your Silverado and would like to take the time to investigate further. To do so, please send us an email to [email protected]. Make sure to include your Username and Forum name in the subject line with additional details. We look forward to hearing from you. 

Figured I can add my experience here as well. Last year June one of my 2011 GMC 2500s had a TCM fail. I work seasonly and it happened right at the beginning of June; I called the dealership expecting to pick up a TCM, get it programmed, be on my merry way Monday. No such luck, ordered the TCM in June, it arrived in October. Bought a new 2023 2500HD to replace that truck in the meantime, dropped $100k+ on it, now exactly a year later, with 40,000 miles on it, I’m right back to where I started, transmission problems and down a truck for an indefinite period of time. Unbelievable.

Does anyone know if the dealerships are authorized to give out loaner trucks while we wait? I’m a contractor that works only in the summer months so to be down a truck is costing me big bucks every day I’m not out working with it.

Hello everyone and thanks for adding your experiences and advice to the forum! 

I have a 2023 Silverado LT Trail Boss with the 3.0 LZ0 Duramax purchased a year ago (06.08.23).   Previously, my truck went into decreased acceleration mode, prompting a six week trip to the dealership to replace the coolant pump (which was on backorder).  This adventure took place between February 1st and March 13th of 2024.   It had 9,292 miles on it at the time.  During this time I had two different loaner trucks from my dealer.  Both with the 5.3l engine (one was a LT Z71, the other a LT Trail Boss).   When driving these, I noticed how much smoother the transmission shifted (they were probably 2024s?), and how harsh mine was when I finally got it back.

On Tuesday, June 4th while driving home from work my struck started shuttering while cruising (cruise control on) at 60 mph.  Then it went into decreased acceleration mode and revved up in RPMS (usually its around 1k, now around 3k).  I called the dealer from my truck to alert them of the problem and begin discussions about bringing it in that day.  I stopped home briefly with the intention of taking all of my personal things out of the truck (because the last time was six weeks), but the truck would not shift into reverse.  I then skipped that step and drive directly to the dealer.   A week later I received word from the dealer that they found two issues.   The first was the input speed censor.  The dealer said they should have that next week.  The other is the valve body, which is on backorder for an unknown amount of time.  I didn’t think to check the mileage at the time of drop off, but it is less than 12k. 

While I understand things happen, this is now three issues that have happened in less than a year of ownership.  Not counting the unknown timetable for the valve body, the truck will have spent two months out of twelve at the dealership.  In addition, we have family trips planned for this summer and were in the process of buying a travel trailer to take the kids camping, all of which was the purpose of buying this vehicle.  Additionally, an argument can be made that this is two plus months of warranty that I’m losing out on because the vehicle is sitting at the dealer waiting to be repaired.  We should get credit for this toward our 60 month warranty and have it extended accordingly, as most issues arise from USING the vehicles. 

I am being patient for the moment, but given my experiences so far and after reading about others, I am losing faith and confidence. 

Over a month without my truck, and still no ETA on the 3rd valve body replacement. I just logged a report at:

https://www.nhtsa.gov/report-a-safety-problem#vehicle

And a claim with the BBB at:

https://bbbprograms.org/programs/all-programs/bbb-autoline

GM and the dealership do not seem to care. Figure it couldn't hurt to make formal reports of these issues that seem to be affecting a lot of us.

Edited by esteeg
  • Thanks 1

On 5/28/2024 at 3:56 PM, Ryanmac18 said:

Have a 2022 gmc sierra AT4. Brought it in last week after vehicle not going in reverse. Was told it needs a valve body but that they were on back order. How long has it been taking for dealerships to get valve body’s? Located in northern Ontario 

My truck has been sitting at the dealership going on 5 weeks not with not ETA for a Valve Body part. Dealership has a new transmission ready to install but GM will not approve. This is beyond crazy. I never imagined that buying a Silverado TB that i would not able to get common parts if something went wrong. My vehicle has 17k miles and it's mint, I don't pull anything or offroad, serviced at the dealership regularly...

On 6/8/2024 at 12:53 PM, Tom73 said:

Good news….after the truck being in the shop for almost four weeks and not being able to find a valve body, the service manager called to advise that he has found a transmission, should be in this week. Starting to see a glimmer of light at the end of the tunnel. 

My dealership found a transmission in two days and was ready to install, GM would not approve. Could have had my truck back 3 weeks ago but here I am going on 5 weeks now with no ETA in sight for a Valve Body. Even if the Valve body arrives, no guarantee it fixes the problem.

I guess my questions is this, How come GM is approving others to get a new transmission but not mine?

My truck is a 21 model TB with 17k miles and is in mint showroom condition, been serviced at the dealer on a regular basis..

On 6/10/2024 at 6:38 PM, GMCustomerService said:

We regret to hear of these challenges you are facing with your Silverado and would like to take the time to investigate further. To do so, please send us an email to [email protected]. Make sure to include your Username and Forum name in the subject line with additional details. We look forward to hearing from you. 

I have contacted you from [email protected]  I have been assigned to advisor who then turned me over to another advisor still no one can make a decision.  It's always the same, it's over my head.

Doesn't it make sense to replace the transmission in stock and get the customer back on the road or wait for part that may not even fix the issue at all? I understand steps need to be taken but at some point, is there anyone who can make a decision?

If my transmission is replaced and the old transmission is sent back, can't it be remanufactured with a new valve body and resold once the part is available to GM?

If new trucks are still being produced and rolled off the line, there has to be parts somewhere right??

6 hours ago, ChevyWild said:

If my transmission is replaced and the old transmission is sent back, can't it be remanufactured with a new valve body and resold once the part is available to GM?

My understanding is that a remanufactured transmission is a used case with all new guts in it. 
That is probably what I am getting for my truck. A remanufactured (vs rebuilt) is okay by me. Had one put in a Vette and no problems.