Valve Body Replacement - 2023 Silverado Custom Trail Boss

Update: Replacement valve body was installed today at the dealership and it immediately failed. A 3rd valve body has been ordered, but it's on backorder with no new ETA. Another truck is in the same shop and has had the exact same issue. This is beyond ridiculous. GM needs to make this right asap.

11 minutes ago, esteeg said:

Update: Replacement valve body was installed today at the dealership and it immediately failed. A 3rd valve body has been ordered, but it's on backorder with no new ETA. Another truck is in the same shop and has had the exact same issue. This is beyond ridiculous. GM needs to make this right asap.

Sounds like something else is going on.  Installation issue (there are some numbers on the valve body required to be entered for programming), or there is further issues within the transmission.  

43 minutes ago, esteeg said:

Sounds a lot like what my wife went through on her '23 Suburban 3.0L. We went into limp mode after dropping my 24 2500HD off for some minor cosmetic warranty work. Luckily we were just down the street after dropping my truck. After months of waiting for the valve body and when it was installed the mechanics didn't even get out of the lot on a test drive before the vehicle went into limp mode again. Long story short, we waited several more weeks to get a brand new transmission. The valve body has a high failure rate on these 10 speeds (which is also shared with Ford) and frankly thats a real shame. Thankfully our new Trans works great with no hiccups since.

20 hours ago, newdude said:

Sounds like something else is going on.  Installation issue (there are some numbers on the valve body required to be entered for programming), or there is further issues within the transmission.  

I was thinking the same thing. I was told there are three manufacturers of these parts and the first replacement was from a different vendor than the original. Seems like a bad design, or some other factors.

Posted (edited)
19 hours ago, davidm767 said:

Sounds a lot like what my wife went through on her '23 Suburban 3.0L. We went into limp mode after dropping my 24 2500HD off for some minor cosmetic warranty work. Luckily we were just down the street after dropping my truck. After months of waiting for the valve body and when it was installed the mechanics didn't even get out of the lot on a test drive before the vehicle went into limp mode again. Long story short, we waited several more weeks to get a brand new transmission. The valve body has a high failure rate on these 10 speeds (which is also shared with Ford) and frankly thats a real shame. Thankfully our new Trans works great with no hiccups since.

That's a bummer, but glad to hear a new transmission has worked out. I think I'm going to ask for that in addition to trying to find out if any type of buyback is an option. It seems like they're able to replace transmissions faster than replacing the individual parts.

Edited by esteeg

Have a 2022 gmc sierra AT4. Brought it in last week after vehicle not going in reverse. Was told it needs a valve body but that they were on back order. How long has it been taking for dealerships to get valve body’s? Located in northern Ontario 

What obligation does the dealer have to provide a comparable loaner vehicle while yours is in for these repairs?

On 5/8/2024 at 2:47 PM, Cayenneguy said:

Truck in the shop since 3/19 and still no solution from GM yet, hoping for a repurchase at this point.

Truck STILL in the shop now over two months and ZERO cooperation from GM. They have denied a repurchase of my truck even though its spent over 3 months in the shop in the first year of ownership. They are offering a loyalty certificate but that still doesn't cover the cost to get into a 2024 Sierra and we would be out of pocket. Still no ETA on the part arrival at the dealership. This has been quite the experience 😡

On 5/28/2024 at 3:56 PM, Ryanmac18 said:

Have a 2022 gmc sierra AT4. Brought it in last week after vehicle not going in reverse. Was told it needs a valve body but that they were on back order. How long has it been taking for dealerships to get valve body’s? Located in northern Ontario 

My 2022 Silverado Trail Boss has been at the dealership in Southeastern Ontario since April 1, 2024 waiting on a backordered valve body.

On 5/30/2024 at 10:28 AM, RyanAB said:

My 2022 Silverado Trail Boss has been at the dealership in Southeastern Ontario since April 1, 2024 waiting on a backordered valve body.

We regret to hear of this part delay for your Trail Boss and would like to take the opportunity to learn more. Please send us an email to [email protected]. Be sure to include your Username and Forum name in the subject line with additional details. We look forward to your email. 

Posted (edited)

My 2023 Sierra 3500 with Duramax and 10spd transmission went into the shop for the 2nd time in less than 1 week.  Truck has 24k miles.  Being told now that Valve body is bad and needs replaced.  Dealer says part on backorder with no ETA.  They referred me to GM to ask for a full Transmission replacement.  GM said they could not authorize that.  Then was told by the dealer that the Tranny's are also on backorder as well with no ETA.  I can't have my truck down as it is used for work daily and I also pull trailers very frequently.  They tried to refer me to a rental agency but rental agencies don't even equip their rentals with tow packages.  This is a known issue that is now obviously a common issue.  GM need to fix this issue and get these trucks back on the road now. Otherwise offer a buyback.  Trucks are specialized equipment that are used for specific purposes (i.e. towing).  Car and SUV loaners or rentals can't replace the specialized need.  This problem is not our problem and GM needs to make it right for their customers who have placed loyalty in GMC thru the years and have purchased $90k plus trucks.

Edited by ScubaSco

On 1/25/2024 at 10:07 PM, Michael Lung said:

Update:

After discussions with a lemon law attorney today, I contacted the dealer to get an invoice of the service record for the valve body. My service advisor had a curveball to throw me: they received approval from Chevy to replace the entire transmission, which includes a new valve body, vice just the valve body. Apparently, it’s way easier to get a whole unit than just a valve body. New transmission will be here in 3-5 days, and a couple days to install. Will keep everyone posted if that fix works (I’m optimistic it will). 

I would love to hear about the transmission replacement.  My 2021 Silverado has been at the dealership for 2 months waiting on a back-ordered valve body and no end in site.   I’ve asked for a new transmission and been told no.  

Posted (edited)

Perhaps it's time to start sending emails to the NHTSA and our State Attorney Generals offices until GM decides to step up, as this problem seems to be compounding quickly.  The Service Manager at my dealership told me that 3 trucks came in with these same issues today alone.  Another dealership in the Denver area told me yesterday that they currently have 15 valve bodies on backorder.   

Edited by ScubaSco

On 5/30/2024 at 10:28 AM, RyanAB said:

Update: the valve body arrived at the dealer. They will be installing it June 10th

• Like 1