Valve Body Replacement - 2023 Silverado Custom Trail Boss

Wanted to reach out to the forum to see if any one has needed a valve body replaced for their 2023 Silverado? I'm currently in the process waiting on the part to show up at the dealer, going on for about a month now. 

I bought the truck new in Jan 2023, 5.3L Custom Trail Boss, and everything was fine till about 15K miles when I noticed a very hard downshift when accelerating, anywhere between 30-70mph. Usually the shifts were very violent, sometimes even turning my cruise control off because the truck chirped the tires and broke traction. Eventually took the truck to the dealer late November 2023 and they tried the software approach, which I understand, but no dice on that being the fix. I did some self-diagnosing and realized the hard shifts only started happening around 140 degrees on the transmission gauge and somewhere between 6-8 gear. Was able to get the truck back in to the dealer mid-Dec 2023 due to their availability, and was diagnosed with the valve body needing to be replaced on the transmission, and now stuck waiting for the part. 

Per the Service Advisor, there is already a new part number and a new manufacturer for the valve bodies, so perhaps GM is addressing a somewhat of an issue with the original valve body? Now the weird part is apparently GM is beholden to this manufacturer on when they ship out these valve bodies as parts orders, only receiving shipment once the local region has hit a certain quota, per the Service Advisor. I mean, at least GM has me in a comparable rental, but I sure would like to be back in my truck at this point. Curious if any forum member has had a similar issue in getting a new valve body for these 10-speeds on the '23 Silverado?  

7 minutes ago, Michael Lung said:

Wanted to reach out to the forum to see if any one has needed a valve body replaced for their 2023 Silverado? I'm currently in the process waiting on the part to show up at the dealer, going on for about a month now. 

I bought the truck new in Jan 2023, 5.3L Custom Trail Boss, and everything was fine till about 15K miles when I noticed a very hard downshift when accelerating, anywhere between 30-70mph. Usually the shifts were very violent, sometimes even turning my cruise control off because the truck chirped the tires and broke traction. Eventually took the truck to the dealer late November 2023 and they tried the software approach, which I understand, but no dice on that being the fix. I did some self-diagnosing and realized the hard shifts only started happening around 140 degrees on the transmission gauge and somewhere between 6-8 gear. Was able to get the truck back in to the dealer mid-Dec 2023 due to their availability, and was diagnosed with the valve body needing to be replaced on the transmission, and now stuck waiting for the part. 

Per the Service Advisor, there is already a new part number and a new manufacturer for the valve bodies, so perhaps GM is addressing a somewhat of an issue with the original valve body? Now the weird part is apparently GM is beholden to this manufacturer on when they ship out these valve bodies as parts orders, only receiving shipment once the local region has hit a certain quota, per the Service Advisor. I mean, at least GM has me in a comparable rental, but I sure would like to be back in my truck at this point. Curious if any forum member has had a similar issue in getting a new valve body for these 10-speeds on the '23 Silverado?  

Welcome to the forum. I am sorry to hear about the valve body failure in your truck. I have the same truck (purchased October 2023) with the same engine and trans. I have been active on this forum and I have only heard about a couple of valve body failures on the 10 speed transmission. Hopefully there will be others who will chime in and comment on this subject. newdude is a dealership mechanic and there are others on here that will have expertise on this subject.                   

I will be following this post.  

Thanks, Mike. I spoke with the service manager today. He said they’ve called 10 other dealerships that allegedly had the valve body but to no avail. He also said they have someone that has been waiting 3 months for the valve body. Pretty much at the end of my rope here with GM. 

10 hours ago, Mike Santana said:

I have a 2023 Silverado that I bought last year in November of 2022 and it’s the 3.0L truck. I just took my truck in the beginning of this month and I was told the same thing about the valve body. 

Welcome to the forum. How many miles on your truck?

Update:

After discussions with a lemon law attorney today, I contacted the dealer to get an invoice of the service record for the valve body. My service advisor had a curveball to throw me: they received approval from Chevy to replace the entire transmission, which includes a new valve body, vice just the valve body. Apparently, it’s way easier to get a whole unit than just a valve body. New transmission will be here in 3-5 days, and a couple days to install. Will keep everyone posted if that fix works (I’m optimistic it will). 

1 hour ago, Michael Lung said:

Update:

After discussions with a lemon law attorney today, I contacted the dealer to get an invoice of the service record for the valve body. My service advisor had a curveball to throw me: they received approval from Chevy to replace the entire transmission, which includes a new valve body, vice just the valve body. Apparently, it’s way easier to get a whole unit than just a valve body. New transmission will be here in 3-5 days, and a couple days to install. Will keep everyone posted if that fix works (I’m optimistic it will). 

That is great news! That is much better than repairing the old trans.

• 2 months later...

Hello All

New to this site, Just found out my 2022 trail boss has body valve issues that need to be changed, only 30k clics, never pulled anything with it. tranny acted up, would not change gears stayed in 2 second, I stopped, then no more reverse. They said they ordered the parts, hopefully it won't be like Michael 3 months.

I have a 2022 Gmc Sierra Limited and just encountered the same issue.  I am hoping I don't have to wait a month or longer without my truck but was told that there is someone that has been waiting over a month at my dealership as well.

I have a 2023 3.0L 10 speed with the same issue! Valve body needs replaced but the advisor said they are on back order. I hope I can luck out with them replacing the whole transmission as well, but I have a bad feeling I won’t be getting my truck back for quite awhile!

On 1/16/2024 at 9:57 PM, Michael Lung said:

When there is a part update sometime during the model year-I am told most manufacturers don't throw away parts currently awaiting to go in to trucks on the assembly line. They will deal with parts update (if needed) during the warranty period. Again-I don't know if this is true-but it's what I have read.

We have two 2023 and one 2024 Chevy Silverado 3500 Duramax with 10 Spd transmission. 

All have valve body problems go into limp mode.. with valve body problems solenoid A stuck open code PO747

Two of the trucks were down over three months waiting for parts and now I have another one that’s has the same code getting it towed into the dealership… this is the worst… These trucks are for work and our drivers have to sit at home for three or four months waiting to get a temporary fix because I’m sure they will fail again.. 

3 hours ago, GaryH said:

We have two 2023 and one 2024 Chevy Silverado 3500 Duramax with 10 Spd transmission. 

All have valve body problems go into limp mode.. with valve body problems solenoid A stuck open code PO747

Two of the trucks were down over three months waiting for parts and now I have another one that’s has the same code getting it towed into the dealership… this is the worst… These trucks are for work and our drivers have to sit at home for three or four months waiting to get a temporary fix because I’m sure they will fail again.. 

We are sorry to see you having concerns with your vehicles and would like to investigate this further for you. Please send us an email to [email protected]. Be sure to include your Username and Forum name in the subject line with additional details. We look forward to your email. 

I've owned a 2023 GMC Sierra Elevation 2.7L 4 cyl for less than one year. It's been in the shop three times and its currently in the shop once again due to a transmission issue. I hear a big bang in the transmission while stopped at a light and then check engine comes on and the truck is stuck in one gear only. Its been in the shop almost 10 weeks in less than one year of ownership. The dealership is working with the GM tech line and they are waiting for a valve body part which is currently in back order status. Getting VERY frustrated right now !!! This truck is for work and the dealership has been very helpful trying to fix the problem however the problem keeps coming back and I'm almost sure it may fail again.

Edited by Cayenneguy