Reverse light mod ideas (no bulb replacement)

I'm looking to add more light to the back of the truck (2023 Silverado 1500 LT) for more visibility when backing up in the dark. LED bulb replacement is not an option for me, since I have aftermarket tailights. 

I looked into VLED LP-X but customer support told me it wont work because Silverado's trailering system will interfere with it. I asked if I could wire tap into the cargo light wires, so that the lights turn on when I toggle on cargo lights, but he wasn't sure if that would work or not.

Anyone have tried VLEDS or any other types of lights for reverse light? Any recommendations welcome!

You will need to wire the lights into a relay. The factory circuit will overload and shut off the lights when you add any additional lights. You can use the reverse light wire in the tail light as the trigger wire for the circuit. You can use the 12V+ from the trailer wiring circuit as the power source for the relay circuit.

I used this wiring harness from amazon to tie into my factory lighting system. I have 2 rigid flush mounted lights in the pockets on the rear bumper.  It has zero effect on the trailering system.

All I did is tied into the connector.

https://www.amazon.com/OPT7-Redline-Connect-Harness-Silverado/dp/B09YCD82H3

https://www.amazon.com/Rigid-Industries-Diffused-Resistant-Accessories/dp/B01HJ4G9QI

20231204_142102.jpg

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 12/19/2023 at 10:10 PM, nlindste said:

I used this wiring harness from amazon to tie into my factory lighting system. I have 2 rigid flush mounted lights in the pockets on the rear bumper.  It has zero effect on the trailering system.

All I did is tied into the connector.

https://www.amazon.com/OPT7-Redline-Connect-Harness-Silverado/dp/B09YCD82H3

https://www.amazon.com/Rigid-Industries-Diffused-Resistant-Accessories/dp/B01HJ4G9QI

20231204_142102.jpg

@nlindste I am looking at doing something similar,and trying to visualize this all while parts are en route - does the putco harness go between the trailering plug and the body harness as well as have to tap/connect into the taillight harness? Or just behind the bumper, and then some connecting to whatever auxiliary reverse lights you are adding?

Edited by Rich Rein

• 2 weeks later...

The Curt harness won't work on a GM because the 7 way plug is dead except for 12V+ and ground unless it detects a trailer plugged in. You need the harness that plugs in between the tail light wiring to get all the brake and turn signals working.

• Like 1

On 12/19/2023 at 5:29 AM, Baker17 said:

I'm looking to add more light to the back of the truck (2023 Silverado 1500 LT) for more visibility when backing up in the dark. LED bulb replacement is not an option for me, since I have aftermarket tailights. 

I looked into VLED LP-X but customer support told me it wont work because Silverado's trailering system will interfere with it. I asked if I could wire tap into the cargo light wires, so that the lights turn on when I toggle on cargo lights, but he wasn't sure if that would work or not.

Anyone have tried VLEDS or any other types of lights for reverse light? Any recommendations welcome!

Have you considered auxiliary lights? I've had success with Rigid Industries D-Series lights. You can mount them strategically, and they're pretty bright.

Also, don't overlook the possibility of integrating fiber optic lighting You could discreetly embed them into the truck bed or along the bumper. Sync them up with your reverse lights without messing with the trailering setup.

Another idea is using motion-activated LED strips. Strategically position them in the bed, and they'll illuminate when you start reversing.

On 1/29/2024 at 11:25 PM, GETGONE said:

The Putco harness is a T that plugs in between the left and right tail light harnesses and then has a flat 4 plus a white wire for reverse lights.

https://www.putco.com/product/blade-quick-connect-harness/529005/

Just to follow up (in case this helps anyone else) - I used the Putco harness. The reverse power comes from the driver's side, as does 3 of the four wires for the extra 4 pin connector (the green power wire is the only one to come from the passenger's side). As I was only using the harness to power auxiliary reverse lights (which I wanted automatically tied in to my truck's reverse function, no extra switch needed), I cut off the 4 pin connector on the Putco harness (which means that I no longer needed the passenger side connection at all), and used the reverse wire and ground wire coming off of the driver's side piece of the harness (capping off the other two wires and hiding the ends in the loom). Power from my auxiliary lights connected to the white wire from the harness, ground from each light to the black wire...and I am in business. No issues, works exactly as I had hoped - and looks factory in the way that it all connects in (and easily removable without lasting effect because of the Putco harness).IMG_20240209_201518.thumb.jpg.fea708da14088ccf2246c16d6b78ad67.jpg

Edited by Rich Rein

That's a LOT of money for something you can't even use when you have your hitch in and NEED lights to hook or unhook a trailer in the dark!

2 hours ago, GETGONE said:

That's a LOT of money for something you can't even use when you have your hitch in and NEED lights to hook or unhook a trailer in the dark!

It is...it went onsale during xmas time for $50 off which is still expensive imo. However for me, it'd work as I almost never tow anything, much less have to hook up in the dark. 

There's also the boostauto mod that's super cheap. How well it works I don't know. Was considering that too or maybe both

https://boostautoparts.com/products/bed-cargo-and-reverse-wiring-harness-2019?year=2021&make=GMC&model=Sierra 1500

12 hours ago, Mstorm18 said:

It is...it went onsale during xmas time for $50 off which is still expensive imo. However for me, it'd work as I almost never tow anything, much less have to hook up in the dark. 

There's also the boostauto mod that's super cheap. How well it works I don't know. Was considering that too or maybe both

https://boostautoparts.com/products/bed-cargo-and-reverse-wiring-harness-2019?year=2021&make=GMC&model=Sierra 1500

Why have a truck if you don't tow?

I made my own "boost auto" mod for a few cents. I have it set so the reverse lights come on when I press the cargo light button so it makes it super bright along with the LED cubes I added to the bottom of the hitch. Works great for hooking up a trailer or loading stuff in the bed in the dark.