17 minutes ago, 916TrailBoss said:

When I bought my 2024 LT Trail Boss with the short bed the salesman said it had a 28 gal tank. I asked for the build sheet, which didn’t show any detailed specs nor the gas tank size. Can anyone confirm if the new 2024’s have a larger gas tank?

24Gal

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
3 hours ago, Z71-K9 said:

I received an email from LRA today.  They are willing to ship a tank to me for $1,999 plus $195 in shipping.

Interesting comment. I tried searching this forum before posting initially but found very little on the subject which is why I posted in the first place. I’m curious why you state it was “dismissed as not feasible”. Seems totally feasible to me if a aftermarket company offers a larger fuel tank for the same truck which is diesel powered and whose numbers are a fraction of the gas powered counterparts…. What am I missing Bikerjon? Who wouldn’t want the ability to go 600+ miles between fuel stops as opposed 380 or so?

Sounds great. Maybe you and Elbow joe can split the shipping.

On 1/30/2024 at 6:56 PM, Z71-K9 said:

I received an email from LRA today.  They are willing to ship a tank to me for $1,999 plus $195 in shipping.

I'm tempted, but not ready.  190L = 50 gallons.  That's 750 miles capacity at 15mpg and 1,000 miles at 20mpg.  I've seen over 20 mpg on some trips.  Looking at pics the aluminum driveshaft seems very close to the gas tank.  Might be a good idea to spend another $2k to get the steel driveshaft.  Now the only other question that needs to be answered is how to recalibrate the fuel gauge so it shows correctly. 

On 2/9/2024 at 1:41 PM, kmeleon said:

Just a thought.... I see people selling 2500 fuel tanks on ebay... Couldn't you just swap in the 36 gal tank? 

Would it fit?  Pics on Ebay show a tank that appears to be much taller.  If it did fit the cost difference would be much more effective versus the 50 gallon tank from Australia.  The difference is only $200 after you sell your stock tank, plus shipping charges.  Still, my previous question wasn't answered and is still just as applicable to this scenario.  Would the truck's computer function properly?  Now I'm asking a new question along with the previous one.  Would the fuel pump for the 1500 fit in the 36 gallon tank, or would the fuel pump for the 36 gallon tank work with our truck?

Edited by Transient
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

A little research tonight revealed the fuel guage measurements on the stock sending unit is analog.  When it comes to the amount of fuel in the tank as a fraction it'll read correctly on the dial in the dash.  As for distance, I'm still unsure.  I assume the computer programming contains a simple mathematical equation utilizing the fuel tank capacity in it.  Reprogramming would only mean changing the fuel tank capacity number for a correct range readout.  I haven't looked into the dimensions of tank, specifically depth, so I don't know yet if the stock sending unit will function when the fuel level gets low.  I'm only looking into this here and there and only curious at this point.  A larger fuel tank is not a high priority for me right now.  If anybody else is looking into this and gets some answers it would be appreciated if they posted that info. 

I have a few fills at over 700 miles, and lots at over 600 miles - '23 3.0L crewcab/4wd/6.5ft 

It range is a serious issue, the 3.0L is your friend. 

Fwiw, I got about 20-21 doing same job with a '16 5.3 crew/4wd/6.5ft

image.png.fc69696f12609e11a100e0bb10cd67d1.png

Edited by redwngr

• 1 month later...

I have a 2019 RST with a 5.3 V8 gas. The fuel tank is 24 gallons. The fuel fill was clearly made for a diesel as it has a fill hole and a big open space for a def tank in front of the gas tank. I hate having to stop every 1.5-2 hours to fill up when I’m towing my camper knowing that there’s plenty of space for a tank with much greater capacity.