Zr2 front suspension

13 hours ago, Epsilon Plus said:

I spent $1,600 shipped for the full swap including skids and one-time-use TTY bolts/nuts. The only thing left to buy is a couple bolts for mounting the rear of the transfer case skid when I mock it up and decide if I can tap threads or use through bolts.

Figure ~$2,000 if doing it from stock to finished with a set of Bilstein 5100s.

X2

The ZR2 transfer case skid vs the baby Z71 skid. In the process of drilling the rear holes. Going to use through+bolts and nuts. Initially was going to tap M10x1.5 threads for one of the unused front Z71 bolts and add another, but didn't have the right 8.5mm or whatever PITA metric bit.

Fits on the 20-23 great, just need to drill rear holes.

20240418_190816.thumb.jpg.1541ceebe946c1246936fd221272bbe2.jpg

• 2 months later...
On 4/12/2024 at 9:45 AM, Epsilon Plus said:

Ride is softer for me because I went from concrete POS 31" Firestones to 37" Nittos with 30% more sidewall. 

Epsilon, do you have a shot down the side? Internet says your wheels are 18x8 44+ offset. I'm curious to see the difference between those and how the ZR2 wheels poke out (looking around on youtube).

Best I can find ZR2 wheels are 18x9 +32.

Edited by OS RR

On 4/12/2024 at 6:45 AM, Epsilon Plus said:

Ride is softer for me because I went from concrete POS 31" Firestones to 37" Nittos with 30% more sidewall. 

Still an HD truck. Still feels most things in the road. Even with DSSVs I doubt it softens up more. People that say they ride great are probably justifying their purchase in their minds. It still has a 3,500+ lb payload rear leaf spring that has to compress before the shock even thinks about controlling rebound.

The OP that started all this was deep into changing brake lines and all that for the DSSVs. Dunno what happened with that. I still think for the same cost and likely better results King remotes that are at least rebuildable are the more prudent route. If I had a factory ZR2 and one of those leak prone DSSVs crapped on me I'd be trying to sell the other 3 and go to Kings before I spent another $800 for a single shock to maybe make it to 50k. 

That's just my $.04 (adjusted for inflation).

I wouldnt waste money on DSSV, they are built to a production pricepoint...there are far better shocks on the market and rebuildable.....without the hassle of re routing lines

getting the geometry correct is the important thing....pick the boinger of your choosing

• 1 month later...

The official chevrolet and gmc parts websites are having a 35% off sale right now. I got both zrx knuckles shipped to the dealer (free shipping this way) for $225. Probably a good time to get all the conversion parts if you have been on the fence about it. The big discount parts centers might have better prices, but shipping on the heavy items kills the deal. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I'm looking to make the swap on my '24 Sierra AT4 HD.  I'd love to hear about ride quality from those with the 2500 trucks that made the swap.  I believe Epsilon is the only one that's made a comment on this and it was to say the ride was a bit softer for him.  

For those that have completed the swap, has the ride quality improved over stock?  Also, would you do it again?  As in, was it worth it?

A bit softer. Like going from a covered wagon to a Model T. Spring rate is just too high on the torsion bars and rear leafs for the shocks to even be involved in everyday driving unless you are loaded down. The only way I think you can really soften this truck up is with Cognito's comfort ride torsion and leaf set up. -25% rate, but also -25% payload/capability. I'm not willing to un-HD my HD.

I'm on 37s with 45psi front, 40 rear and the wife still has to be mindful of slight cracks in the road when taking a drink of her water cup or she'll be wearing it.

I would do it again. Price was right. No aftermarket jank. Factory driving characteristics/capability. Perfect for me stance. Fit 37s. Cons are that it is a ton of work for a baby lift. Being that you have a 24 though you might be able to run the DSSVs. Still a mystery on whether all 24s got the hard brake line change to allow for the massive shock bodies.

Edited by Epsilon Plus

• 2 weeks later...
10 minutes ago, 215robert said:

Ride is great! I had my bars cranked 3/4 of an inch before the swap and it did compromise comfort. Would do it again...

Thanks.  Is the ride better now with the new setup versus simply cranking on the torsion keys?

8 hours ago, 215robert said:

Just like Factory!

Good to hear.  One last question... what shocks did you go with?  I had Bilstein's on my Power Wagon and hated how rough the ride was.  Switched to Fox 2.0's and thought they were a huge improvement, but also thought they were a bit softer than I'd prefer.  I'm not a fan of the stock Rancho's on my AT4.