Zr2 front suspension

IMG_2569.thumb.jpeg.d32997b99a234e015abd380a98ae1b24.jpeg Can confirm ZR2 upper control arms are designed with additional clearance for the service stops. I do not have a stock control arm to compare ball joint angle. 

part numbers 85144988, 85144989.

With these at 88 dollars apiece, aftermarket companies might have trouble selling tubular ball joint control arms for use with raised front suspension. 

Would love any info on changes to the lower control arm and dssv shock length. 

• Like 2

On 12/5/2023 at 11:14 AM, Joe97281 said:

Can confirm ZR2 upper control arms are designed with additional clearance for the service stops. I do not have a stock control arm to compare ball joint angle. 

part numbers 85144988, 85144989.

With these at 88 dollars apiece, aftermarket companies might have trouble selling tubular ball joint control arms for use with raised front suspension. 

Would love any info on changes to the lower control arm and dssv shock length. 

On ZR2 HD, there are new front diff mounts, different front knuckles, different upper and lower control arms.  Out back, rear block under the spring, different jounce bumper and mount, and longer u bolts.  Obviously the shocks all around as well.  

Nice to see some ZR2 part numbers starting to drop. All the traditional parts sites still list nothing for 24 ZR2s. 

Once they're all out, it's going to be the best way to get a 1.5-2" lift (and most expensive way lol).

Edited by Epsilon Plus

I think figured ~ $1700 for ZR2 front suspension only, pre tax/shipping, from the online retailers. Almost all part numbers are available on parts.gmparts.com , but you have to be smart about how you search. Add the full vehicle details (2024 zr2 or AT4x), and then check the "fitment notes" to verify it is for the ZRX package. 

85144990 /  91 = Lower Control arms

86787383 / 84 = Diff brackets

86559719 / 20 = Non Bison DSSV front shocks

85144996 / 97 = Knuckles

Also available is the bison / F60 front shocks but I did not write down the part number since I do not want them. 

Tasca wouldn't sell me the the Diff brackets, Knuckles, or shocks. They claim "national backorder", but I was able to order the shocks through the gmparts website. I suspect Tasca couldn't get them at their listed 40ish % off like they advertise on the site, and canceled my order instead. 

I am trying to collect all the stuff while it is still available, since I assume it will become scarce with the upcoming 2500HD trailboss. I suspect the trailboss will be ZR2 suspension minus DSSV. 

Have a look at the gm parts website for some other fun items, like the bison transfer case skid (over $1k list) or the $5K rear bumper. 

I am hoping the shocks come in soon so I can measure the compressed/extended length and make a decision as to if I want to install them while waiting for the rest of the parts. 

Please post if you find any parts available. TASCA had Upper and lower control arms this week, as well as the extended transfer case shield (85569359). Cars.com has a pic of it at https://www.cars.com/articles/2024-chevrolet-silverado-hd-zr2-tows-off-the-beaten-path-464932/

I haven't crawled under the truck to see what it attaches to on the back end though, fingers crossed that the crossmember is there. 

• Thanks 1

On 12/13/2023 at 1:46 PM, Joe97281 said:

I think figured ~ $1700 for ZR2 front suspension only, pre tax/shipping, from the online retailers. Almost all part numbers are available on parts.gmparts.com , but you have to be smart about how you search. Add the full vehicle details (2024 zr2 or AT4x), and then check the "fitment notes" to verify it is for the ZRX package. 

85144990 /  91 = Lower Control arms

86787383 / 84 = Diff brackets

86559719 / 20 = Non Bison DSSV front shocks

85144996 / 97 = Knuckles

Also available is the bison / F60 front shocks but I did not write down the part number since I do not want them. 

Tasca wouldn't sell me the the Diff brackets, Knuckles, or shocks. They claim "national backorder", but I was able to order the shocks through the gmparts website. I suspect Tasca couldn't get them at their listed 40ish % off like they advertise on the site, and canceled my order instead. 

I am trying to collect all the stuff while it is still available, since I assume it will become scarce with the upcoming 2500HD trailboss. I suspect the trailboss will be ZR2 suspension minus DSSV. 

Have a look at the gm parts website for some other fun items, like the bison transfer case skid (over $1k list) or the $5K rear bumper. 

I am hoping the shocks come in soon so I can measure the compressed/extended length and make a decision as to if I want to install them while waiting for the rest of the parts. 

Please post if you find any parts available. TASCA had Upper and lower control arms this week, as well as the extended transfer case shield (85569359). Cars.com has a pic of it at https://www.cars.com/articles/2024-chevrolet-silverado-hd-zr2-tows-off-the-beaten-path-464932/

I haven't crawled under the truck to see what it attaches to on the back end though, fingers crossed that the crossmember is there. 

Man, every time I search with a ZR2 trim in most parts sites it comes up empty. This is a boon to have the P/Ns you've listed. I'm going to start collecting too. I've got Bilstein 5100s on right now so I should be good with the current shock length (advertised 0-2" of lift).

Thanks again.

Edited by Epsilon Plus

On 12/13/2023 at 1:46 PM, Joe97281 said:

as well as the extended transfer case shield (85569359). Cars.com has a pic of it at https://www.cars.com/articles/2024-chevrolet-silverado-hd-zr2-tows-off-the-beaten-path-464932/

Looks like it's there, but might need some holes drilled.

ZR2:

image.thumb.jpeg.67d90abd43949fcdd7c52d49fd9e3c83.jpeg

My 22 gas Z71 for comparison:

image.thumb.jpeg.e68aaf5db2f6ada5dcdb963c37969196.jpeg

On 12/11/2023 at 9:56 AM, newdude said:

On ZR2 HD, there are new front diff mounts, different front knuckles, different upper and lower control arms.  Out back, rear block under the spring, different jounce bumper and mount, and longer u bolts.  Obviously the shocks all around as well.  

Any clue on the U-bolts for the rear? I found the lift blocks at P/N: 85565250 . However, the parts.gm site lists two different U-bolt sizes. I think one is for 2500 one for 3500. Thing is under the fitment notes they both say they are for regular and Z71.

Part number 11610960 is M18x2.5x265 and notes:

"THIS PART FITS VEHICLES WITH APPLICATIONS OUTLINED BELOW:

Except ENHANCED TOWING PERF PKG(NHT)

CHAS PKG(Z85),'OFF ROAD' CHAS PKG(Z71)

M18X2.5X265"

Part number 11610959 are M18x2.5x315 and notes:

ENHANCED TOWING PERF PKG(NHT),'OFF ROAD' CHAS PKG(Z71),CHAS PKG(Z85)

M18X2.5X315

OR

CHASSIS PKG(ZRX)

M18X2.5X315

Am I to assume that the ZR2 is using standard 3500 HD bolts and they fit both regular (Z85), Z71, AND  ZR2?

When I put the part numbers into other (dealer) parts websites it says does not fit a 2024 2500 ZR2.

Thanks.

Unrelated note, still scrounging for the jounce bumper and mount P/Ns. Trying to get a complete list together even though I probably wont use those (don't jump a trail whale!)

Strongly suspect it is the 3500 bolts, as the listing shows they are 50 MM longer. This makes sense as the 3500 should have extra springs in the pack. 

Jounce... I think 2500HD ZR2 is all stock for this. The Colorado ZR2 has fancy DSSV hydro bumps. 

I have tried to find the Colorado bumps on the site, but have not had any luck. Just curious as to how much they cost. 

I don't think 3/4 tons have had anything other than rubber or micro cellular poly bumpers since the Enhanced Mobility Package. ( https://www.motortrend.com/how-to/129-0601-2005-gmc-duramax-jounce-shocks/ )

Additionally, the picture of the transfer case skid you posted shows that the vehicle may have a gas tank skid as well. I don't think that made it into the final production models. Look at the extra bolt in the crossmember directly behind the driver torsion bar (and the giant black steel gas tank skid plate).

Edited by Joe97281
grammer

59 minutes ago, Joe97281 said:

Strongly suspect it is the 3500 bolts, as the listing shows they are 50 MM longer. This makes sense as the 3500 should have extra springs in the pack. 

Jounce... I think 2500HD ZR2 is all stock for this. The Colorado ZR2 has fancy DSSV hydro bumps. 

I have tried to find the Colorado bumps on the site, but have not had any luck. Just curious as to how much they cost. 

I don't think 3/4 tons have had anything other than rubber or micro cellular poly bumpers since the Enhanced Mobility Package. ( https://www.motortrend.com/how-to/129-0601-2005-gmc-duramax-jounce-shocks/ )

Additionally, the picture of the transfer case skid you posted shows that the vehicle may have a gas tank skid as well. I don't think that made it into the final production models. Look at the extra bolt in the crossmember directly behind the driver torsion bar (and the giant black steel gas tank skid plate).

newdude posted that the jounce is a difference up above. Could just be on the Bison though. Also, the gas tank skid could be a Bison item as well. The AEV Bisons are known for primarily being bumpers and skids on top of a ZR2. You'd think if stuff was Bison related the fitment notes would have an extra RPO for Bison though.

That site doesn't list everything though. Even when I went to add my 2022 LED headlight P/Ns to my P/N spreadsheet, the site only had one driver LED listed. Not even the halogens were on there.

As far as a front skid, the sales pitch mentions an aluminum front skid and it's on the parts site as ZRX, but isn't the stock Z71 one already metal? I'll have to go tap on mine.

[EDIT: The leading little skid is plastic but the trailing big skid is metal. Don't know if a 2024 ZR2 all metal front skid would work on a 20-23 since they changed the front around and I think that little plastic skid ties up to the bumper area.]

Another side note. When I added the knuckles at a dealer GM parts site my shipping went from $170 to $480. They are also listed as out of stock on the main parts.gm site, so something may be up with them currently.

If I order from parts.gm and pick up at local dealer free it's about $60 more than online but I'm tempted to go the official route so I can deal with issues locally.

Edited by Epsilon Plus

7 hours ago, Epsilon Plus said:

Any clue on the U-bolts for the rear? I found the lift blocks at P/N: 85565250 . However, the parts.gm site lists two different U-bolt sizes. I think one is for 2500 one for 3500. Thing is under the fitment notes they both say they are for regular and Z71.

Part number 11610960 is M18x2.5x265 and notes:

Except ENHANCED TOWING PERF PKG(NHT)

CHAS PKG(Z85),'OFF ROAD' CHAS PKG(Z71)

M18X2.5X265"

Part number 11610959 are M18x2.5x315 and notes:

ENHANCED TOWING PERF PKG(NHT),'OFF ROAD' CHAS PKG(Z71),CHAS PKG(Z85)

M18X2.5X315

OR

CHASSIS PKG(ZRX)

M18X2.5X315

Am I to assume that the ZR2 is using standard 3500 HD bolts and they fit both regular (Z85), Z71, AND  ZR2?

When I put the part numbers into other (dealer) parts websites it says does not fit a 2024 2500 ZR2.

Thanks.

Unrelated note, still scrounging for the jounce bumper and mount P/Ns. Trying to get a complete list together even though I probably wont use those (don't jump a trail whale!)

4 hours ago, Epsilon Plus said:

newdude posted that the jounce is a difference up above. Could just be on the Bison though. Also, the gas tank skid could be a Bison item as well. The AEV Bisons are known for primarily being bumpers and skids on top of a ZR2. You'd think if stuff was Bison related the fitment notes would have an extra RPO for Bison though.

That site doesn't list everything though. Even when I went to add my 2022 LED headlight P/Ns to my P/N spreadsheet, the site only had one driver LED listed. Not even the halogens were on there.

As far as a front skid, the sales pitch mentions an aluminum front skid and it's on the parts site as ZRX, but isn't the stock Z71 one already metal? I'll have to go tap on mine.

[EDIT: The leading little skid is plastic but the trailing big skid is metal. Don't know if a 2024 ZR2 all metal front skid would work on a 20-23 since they changed the front around and I think that little plastic skid ties up to the bumper area.]

Another side note. When I added the knuckles at a dealer GM parts site my shipping went from $170 to $480. They are also listed as out of stock on the main parts.gm site, so something may be up with them currently.

If I order from parts.gm and pick up at local dealer free it's about $60 more than online but I'm tempted to go the official route so I can deal with issues locally.

Aight.  Did some digging via my channels.

Jounce bumpers.  The bumpers themselves are the same as a regular HD.  What's different is on the rear jounces there is some sort of extra spacer.

Upper arms - 85144988 and 85144989

Lower arms - 85144990 and 85144991

Knuckles - 85144996 and 85144997

Rear U-bolts - 11610959

Rear jounce spacer - 85565250

Rear spring block - 87844916

Front shocks - 86557795 and 86557796

Rear shocks GAS - 86557751

Rear shocks DIESEL - 86557750

Front diff brackets - 86787383 and 86787384

As far as Bison is concerned.  There are front shocks listed for "Bison"   

PER GM for Bison HD - 

HD ZR2 Bison: AEV collaboration raises the off-road bar

The HD ZR2 Bison was developed in collaboration with AEV to provide a factory package for the most avid off-roaders. It builds on the HD ZR2’s standard features, adding:

• Exclusive gloss black, 18-inch AEV wheels
  • Distinctive cut high-approach, stamped-steel front bumper with integrated recovery points and winch provisions
  • Unique stamped-steel cut rear bumper with recovery points
  • Tough, stamped steel underbody skid plates for the front of the vehicle, steering rack, exhaust and transfer case

Bison models also receive unique exterior badging and other identifying cues, including the AEV logo on the front-seat head restraints.

Edited by newdude
forgot diff brackets
  • Thanks 1