14 hours ago, UWSkier said:

One thing I wish the 2024s have that my 2016 had is "fuel consumed."  The ScanGauges of the past could also track this so presumably this new one can.  I'd rather know how many more gallons I have in my tank than a somewhat arbitrary E------F bar graph...

@UWSkier

I use the MyGMC app to see the percentage of gas tank is left. Also shows the mileage left like the dash shows. For those that run there tanks down to the low fuel light, more power to you, I never do it. I fill up before I get to 1/4 tank.

I very rarely run mine to the low fuel light but when youre only getting 9MPG towing and your station choices are limited by the 36 ft box youre towing, sometimes it happens. My vehicles at home rarely get below half tank. 

14 hours ago, BCGM said:

UW Skier

I may not be understanding . but I think you can find that information on your truck dash ? How much fuel you have left in percentage  and how many miles left to empty . I can see that on My Chevrolet phone app 

My 2016 had a 26 gallon tank. When I'd fill up, I'd reset the "consumed" counter and know exactly how many gallons I had left in the tank at any given time.  More accurate than a percentage.  In the 2016, my fuel range would flip to "LOW" when I still had 4 gallons in the tank.  It was very handy with that small tank and towing the camper.  Not quite as important with the larger 36 gallon tank, but would still love to know it.

I loved the old 1/2 and 3/4 tons with the dual tanks. something like 18 gal each side with a switch on the dash to go between them. Funny how they could do this 45+ yrs ago but not now. 

1 hour ago, 64BAwagon said:

I loved the old 1/2 and 3/4 tons with the dual tanks. something like 18 gal each side with a switch on the dash to go between them. Funny how they could do this 45+ yrs ago but not now. 

They can but they can’t due to safety regulations. Easier to make one tank safe vs two. 

6 hours ago, UWSkier said:

My 2016 had a 26 gallon tank. When I'd fill up, I'd reset the "consumed" counter and know exactly how many gallons I had left in the tank at any given time.  More accurate than a percentage.  In the 2016, my fuel range would flip to "LOW" when I still had 4 gallons in the tank.  It was very handy with that small tank and towing the camper.  Not quite as important with the larger 36 gallon tank, but would still love to know it.

Percentage is much more accurate. 

it goes down by 1%. So there are 100 units of measurement. How many with the gallons to empty?

17 minutes ago, Pryme said:

Percentage is much more accurate. 

it goes down by 1%. So there are 100 units of measurement. How many with the gallons to empty?

tenths of gallons, so 260 on a 26 gallon tank.  :)

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Pryme said:

They can but they can’t due to safety regulations. Easier to make one tank safe vs two. 

I bought a new Chevrolet 3/4 ton 4x4 in 1975 .it had dual tanks with the switch on the dash to switch tanks . It was wired wrong from the factory if I remember correctly and it was showing lots of fuel  but it was reading the wrong tank .There were problems with new trucks then as well . First night I parked it and noticed a big oil stain on the driveway ,it ended up that the transfer case was porous . Sorry about the thread derail !

Edited by BCGM

Posted (edited)
14 hours ago, Pryme said:

All this safety stuff is taking the nuance out of driving a truck. We arent all soyboys wearing skinny jeans, what happened to being dangerous 😎

BTW. They could make 2 tank trucks because the chassis cabs have them, they just chose not to, likely for cost reasons. 

Edited by 64BAwagon
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, 64BAwagon said:

All this safety stuff is taking the nuance out of driving a truck. We arent all soyboys wearing skinny jeans, what happened to being dangerous 😎

BTW. They could make 2 tank trucks because the chassis cabs have them, they just chose not to, likely for cost reasons. 

I had a tank in the bed with a manual switch like the old days. Getting 4 miles per gallon pulling my equipment it was a must. I had it in the return line on my original fuel tank. I would simply fill up the original on the fly. The nannies and engine cylinder deactivation will keep me 06 or older on GM trucks. One benefit of being retired. The last 5 years of my working life I spent mostly going to my office. I got to drive old trucks. During that time I had a 98 2 door Tahoe, 98 Ford a 64 elcamino, a 65 GMC retro ride and a 92 lowered highly modified Chevy truck I ended up keeping 12 years. Just before retirement I bought a new GMC. We didn’t get along. Went back to the 92 and later my avalanche. I do searches almost daily there’s plenty of well cared for old stuff out there. Nothing like driving the older stuff to know what driving is all about. I’m a driver. 

• Like 1