Oil pressure 80psi after oil change

I have a 2018 Silverado 1500 with a 5.3. Changed my my oil. When I started it up after the oil change the oil pressure went to 40psi but then the second stage on the oil pump kicked in and the oil pressure jumped to 60psi. Easily pressing the gas pedal the pressure raises with how much you press the gas pedal. At 2500rpms it reaches 80psi. Had no problems before the oil change. With the high oil pressure the truck runs like crap and the check engine light is flashing which states that it is or could cause engine or cat damage. All the info for high pressure is either bad sending unit or clogged oil filter. It’s not either of those. New filter, and the engine is actually running bad. The web is flooded with people saying that they have low to 0 oil pressure. They recommend plugging off the oil pressure relief valve to get better oil pressure. I’m wondering if it isn’t that it’s stuck or clogged. Also it’s hard to find a part number for it. I don’t have enough money to pay my bills let alone throw the parts cannon at it. I’m a disabled vet and my wife drives 4 hours a day to and from college. So all our money is spoken for. I need a path to fallow to find the problem.

If the filter isn't straight-up bad, it could be clogged. Possibly picked up something out of the bottom of the pan? 

Did you measure how much oil came out when you changed it? Get the expected amount? Is there any chance it's over-filled?

• Like 1

Snowcamo, yea I’m going to. I’m going ahead and changing out the pressure relief valve. I found one kinda cheap but the oil pan gasket was the more expensive part. But yea I have to change the oil anyway so new filter.

ember1205, I didn’t measure the amount that come out, but I did measure what I put in and checked the fluid before and after start up. It’s right on the full mark.

im going to try changing the valve, oil, and filter and see the what we got.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, Packman said:

Snowcamo, yea I’m going to. I’m going ahead and changing out the pressure relief valve. I found one kinda cheap but the oil pan gasket was the more expensive part. But yea I have to change the oil anyway so new filter.

ember1205, I didn’t measure the amount that come out, but I did measure what I put in and checked the fluid before and after start up. It’s right on the full mark.

im going to try changing the valve, oil, and filter and see the what we got.

FWIW... I don't 'measure' what I get out directly but I do tend to empty the drain pan back into the 5 quart jugs I fill from (I always have at least one extra kicking around) and just generally assess that against what I expected. The Camaro is easy because it's 10 quarts (two full jugs). The truck is similar, just a lesser amount.

If you're seeing the oil level right on post-fill, you likely were able to get the necessary amount out. Any chance you checked the oil shortly after all of this for fill level and "cleanliness"? Does the oil still basically look new? If it dirties up quickly, that could be another indication that not all of the old oil was removed.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/30/2023 at 7:31 AM, Snowcamo said:

Try changing the filter again. That's cheap enough. 

Never heard of a bad oil filter, but you never know these days. 

A bad new-style AC Delco PF-48 oil filter from Walmart gave me a CEL with high oil pressure and then no oil pressure trouble codes a year ago when the weather got frigid. Changing oil with a new Wix XP oil filter was the fix. 

Edited by MaverickZ71
  • Thanks 1

On 12/8/2023 at 2:32 PM, MaverickZ71 said:

A bad new-style AC Delco PF-48 oil filter from Walmart gave me a CEL with high oil pressure and then no oil pressure trouble codes a year ago when the weather got frigid. Changing oil with a new Wix XP oil filter was the fix. 

Our trucks take the PF-63 if using AC/Delco filters.

14 hours ago, TheRiver said:

Our trucks take the PF-63 if using AC/Delco filters

Doesn't matter if it takes an AC Delco PF867-5309. The point is, GM itself has a TSB saying if you had this problem, the suggested fix is to use an equivalent AC Delco Ultraguard Gold (UPF) or other higher capacity/less restrictive filter.

Edited by MaverickZ71
  • Thanks 1

Well I’ve changed the oil filter twice. Once with a percolator then a wix. I ordered an oil pressure regulator but didn’t notice that mine don’t have it in the oil pan. After I added back (yes 0w20) the oil and started it back up it ran to 40psi for a minute, but as soon jumped to 60 psi and flashing the light. I have fully turned against all newer vehicles. I’m trading this Chevy in as soon as I get it fixed. Along with my 2015 ram too. 

• 2 months later...

Packman: I have a 2017 6.2l sierra Denali - sounds like similar problem. 

I start the vehicle, then about a minute later the oil pressure shoots up. I can reset it back simply by turning off and starting again. Mine comes with a misfire as well, but I think the high oil pressure is causing that.

Did you get your's fixed? I'm pulling my hair out.

I'm thinking it is possibly the solenoid in the oil pump???

Bentley

yes it was the oil pump solenoid. I just got everything back running. I traded mine a few days ago. I changed the whole oil pump and it didn’t want to prime. Mine doesn’t have a fill plug on the side of the block to prime it. I ended up taking the intake off and pouring oil down the hole that is above where the sending unit goes. Mine was a 4 wheel drive so I had to drop the rack and the differential. A lot of times when you drop the rack you will have to have the electric motor on the rack reprogrammed. So be prepared to have it towed to a shop because it’s likely. Like I said, I traded mine in and bought another vehicle. Sorry this is so long. I just wanted to let you know what I ran into and if someone else runs across this it may help them.

Edited by Packman
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1