Some Maintenance I have done to my truck today.

Last week I finished the Upper Control Arm Bushings and the Upper Ball Joints.

Next, I have the Lower Control Arm Bushings and Lower Ball Joint to do. I need a 35mm Socket for those. That is on order and I am waiting on it to arrive.

Passenger Side Upper Control Arm Bushings - After.jpg

Drivers Side Upper Control Arm Bushings - Before.jpg

Drivers Side Upper Control Arm Bushings - After.jpg

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I was hoping to finish the last of the bushings last week while I was on vacation. No luck, the 35mm socket that was supposed to show up Thursday before last did not show up until this Saturday. Needless to say, that I did not get started until Sunday, yesterday. I am starting with the Passenger side and having no luck at all getting the Wheel Hub Nut off. Is this a reverse thread?

On another note, my son got me some type of ceramic vinyl restore. I put it on and will see how long it lasts.

IMG_20240627_161931785_HDR.jpg

If you mean the nut holding the cv axle into the hub, it's regular, right-hand thread.  Same on both sides.  You are supposed to replace the nut whenever it's removed.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
On 7/4/2024 at 12:17 AM, davester said:

If you mean the nut holding the cv axle into the hub, it's regular, right-hand thread.  Same on both sides.  You are supposed to replace the nut whenever it's removed.

Great, If only I could get it removed. I will keep trying. I do plan on replacing it when I put everything back together. Thanks for the info.

Edited by Grubbworm

Posted (edited)

My son came over on Saturday and helped me break the two-wheel hub nuts free (it looks like there was some Red Threadlocker used at some point) and beat out the passenger lower ball joint. I got one of the bushings out before calling it a day. I took Sunday off. Back to work on it next week/weekend.

Torn Apart.jpg

Edited by Grubbworm

On 7/4/2024 at 12:17 AM, davester said:

It looks like someone previously was in there doing something and used some RED THREADLOCKER. That is why it was such a pain to get the nuts off. I had my son help me and he broke my Rigid 1/2" drive 14" Ratchet, a pry bar, and bent another pry bar almost in two. At least we finally got them both off.

I have everything ready and am waiting on some help to get this all put back together. I tried putting it back together but it  is more than I can do by myself. After the passenger side is complete, I will have the Driver's side left to do.

IMG_20240714_121319930.jpg

IMG_20240715_061450371.jpg

• Like 1

My son and I finished with the passenger side ball joints and bushings. Now I have a squeak/noise coming from the passenger side while driving. I thought it was the brakes because my son saw a line on the rotor. And it did make more of the noise while braking. The next day I took the brakes apart and cleaned them, sanded and cleaned the pads, sprayed Brake Quiet on the back of the pad. I put it all back together and took it for another test drive. I still have the noise, but more so while driving now. The only thing that I can think of is that while heating up the wheel hub nut, I may have overheated the wheel bearing and hub. I am thinking that I burned the grease up in the bearing.

image.thumb.jpeg.7b6ef21a6885aa9860ea0c2c4d3ccb7b.jpeg

I took the brakes and rotor back off. I cleaned both the hub and the back of the rotor. I used an air tool with a scotchbrite disc to rough up the rotor. I sanded the brake pads. Then I cleaned both the rotor and the pads with some brake cleaner. I lubed and reassembled everything. I found no smoking gun. Today I am going to take it on a test drive to see how it is.

So far so good. Now all I have left is the Driver's side lower ball joint and the lower control arm bushings. It sure does drive and handle so much better so far.

• 2 weeks later...

Well, it's back to work on the truck again. My son says he will be over on Sunday to help. I hope to have it tore down and ready for his help by then. I only have the Driver's side lower ball joint and the Driver's side lower control arm bushings left to do. Then off to the alignment shop. Pictures to follow.

• Like 1

Well, I got everything tore apart this weekend. I cleaned it, prepped it, and everything is ready and waiting to go back together. My son says he will be back over this weekend to help put it all together.

image.thumb.jpeg.a1d2e374e2a3c12b5957cc24e16463ad.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.d40e261ae04a0396f869eea4d1b3f978.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.a1b22a99e50c5bc39fb8bb6f663c391e.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.013b1c01ca94cd2df9c0301ec252a501.jpeg

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

Saturday is the day that my son and I will finish this bushing and ball joint job once and for all (Hopefully). Sunday, I will take it out for a drive. Pictures will follow.

Sorry, I did not take any pictures of the work that we did. Had a slight issue with the brake dust shield rubbing on the back side of the rotor. We remedied that accordingly. I did take some pictures of the box for good measure.

The wife and I took it out for a drive on Sunday. We took the highway and back for a quarter tank of gas. Everything seems to be doing OK. I am still going to have my alignment checked soon.

IMG_20240818_111434523.jpg

IMG_20240818_111629951.jpg

Edited by Grubbworm
  • Thanks 1